Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, so how long is this visa going to take... really?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzkouns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Ok, so how long is this visa going to take... really? Reply with quote

My wife and I are in Dallas and we just sent our passports to the Houston consulate for our Visas. The organization hiring us (Hoya English) is trying to decide when to book our flights and I'm about to go crazy because everyone is wanting to know when we're leaving. How long does it take to get a visa? I know at some point we'll have to drive to Houston for an interview, but can some of you share your average wait times?
Cornfed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa doesn't usually take long - maybe a few days. It's the CBC, letter of appointment and such that delayed me for a couple of months.
sarbonn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're actually at the final stage. When my consulate (San Francisco) got the passport and info, they called me almost the next day and set up the interview almost the day after that. It went really fast after that. I had the interview on Tuesday and on Thursday I was in the air.
ciccone_youth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not more than 3-5 business days!

Once you get the visa, everything goes so quickly. Next thing you know you'll be on a plane.
itstiff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand how you feel. It got so annoying just waiting to leave and everyone in the world asking you when you're leaving, your only answer is, "I wish I knew."
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the consulate in Houston... they're all different and processing time seem to vary from the same day to a week.
Straphanger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ok, so how long is this visa going to take... really? Reply with quote

dzkouns wrote:
I know at some point we'll have to drive to Houston for an interview

Christ almighty, Continental flies direct, cheaper than driving... The walk-up price was less than $100 last time I ran that leg regularly.
sarbonn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm in Korea, I kind of wish the process would have taken longer. Neutral
santafly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my visa through the L.A. consulate - was told they only do phone interviews, nothing in person - they received my passport on a friday morning, I called them to check they had it that morning - left a mesage, thay called me back and we had an interview in the afternoon, they mailed it back the same day!

Korea can be efficient.
travelbender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I know the feeling. I arrived 2 months ago (this contract) and everyone kept asking when I was leaving and I didn't know what to tell them. I even moved out of my apartment, packed up my stuff and really just sat around waiting for a stupid e-ticket to come through.

Hang in there and just enjoy your last few days at home.
mlh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Doing the same thing Reply with quote

I'm also having to go through the Houston Consulate and my passport should have arrived today by noon. I called and asked if there was any way to do a phone interview and they said I had to do it in person. How long did it take you to schedule your interview?

Appearing in person is really frustrating and I don't understand why they can't do it via phone or webcam because its basically a 10 hour drive for me to get there and then of course another 10 hour drive back. I'd fly but t being so last minute it makes it super expensive.

Also I asked if rather than sending a return envolope if I could just pick up my passport after the interview and they said it could be another day or two before its ready? What kind of turn around time is it normally? And how long is this interview going to be?
Bread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing the same thing Reply with quote

mlh wrote:
Also I asked if rather than sending a return envolope if I could just pick up my passport after the interview and they said it could be another day or two before its ready? What kind of turn around time is it normally? And how long is this interview going to be?

I don't think they even start processing it until after your interview. I don't know why you'd mail it in in advance.

I did mine in New York. Dropped it off and interviewed, came back the next day and picked it up.

My interview was:

Interviewer: Have you taught before?
Me: Yes. I taught in Japan.
Interviewer: Oh. So it will probably be easy for you. I will approve you.
[ten minute speech about how I am a cultural ambassador]

There were a bunch of Korean informational magazines in the guy's office, and exactly one had an English title. It was called "The Island of Dokdo, a Land of Korea."
subicslugger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont start processing your visa until after the interview is over.

If you are 10 hrs away, they are supposed to allow you to do a webcam interview. If whoever you talked to said this was not allowed, ask to speak to someone else. Most of the answers you get from the consulates depend on who you are talking to, especially Houston.

In Houston, once the interview is complete, they usually have the visa processed in about 2-3 days.
joeheckel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told I would be able to do a webcam interview from the Houston consulate when I called. I am expecting my visa application number this week and hope I do not need to drive to Houston. That is a 12 hour drive from NW Arkansas! Has anyone else been told they could do an internet interview but then told they had to drive once the visa app # came around?
shoeboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Doing the same thing Reply with quote

Bread wrote:

I don't think they even start processing it until after your interview. I don't know why you'd mail it in in advance.

I did mine in New York. Dropped it off and interviewed, came back the next day and picked it up.

My interview was:

Interviewer: Have you taught before?
Me: Yes. I taught in Japan.
Interviewer: Oh. So it will probably be easy for you. I will approve you.
[ten minute speech about how I am a cultural ambassador]

There were a bunch of Korean informational magazines in the guy's office, and exactly one had an English title. It was called "The Island of Dokdo, a Land of Korea."

How long did it take you to get an interview in NY?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: