Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is there a Kyobo in Daegu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: is there a Kyobo in Daegu? Reply with quote

I think I remember reading somewhere that there was...does anyone know? and if so how to get there? I am sick of trying to find stuff to read at Withus.
elmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a Kyobo in Daegu. It's just off the main strip (between Burger King and the train station). It's next to a big tall mall that has movie theaters at the top and on a main street that has underground shopping. Can't remember the name of that mall, sorry. The underground steps used to be (or maybe still is) a popular place for many SE Asians to hang out, presumably a meeting place for them. Of course the book store is in the basement. It's also near where many banks are.

Sorry I can't be more specific. It's hard when there aren't any street names, although those streets are probably named now, I just don't know them as I don't go to Daegu very often any more...
elmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing...

Get a "kyobo card". You get 10% off foreign books. Good for us, haha on the locals...lots of people don't know about the card. It's free and they'll do it for you at the little desk next to the cash check out.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you don't enter a Kyobo outside of Seoul when there's a protest going on. If I understand correctly, there's already been several anti-Kyobo protests in Busan, and things tend to get quite heated.

Basically other bookstore owners are pissed at the idea of this huge Seoul-based chain coming in and taking over. Rather like Chapters/Indigo in Canada, I guess.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a protest at Kyobo in Daegu. The Hot Tracks in the basement has a great selection of CDs and DVDs. They even have some LPs for you audiophiles.

It is actualy just around the corner from the site of the subway fire this week Sad

It is across from Miglore, next to X-Milano, kiddie corner to the new Daegu Station. Tell the taxi driver "Kyobo mun-go ga-sayeo." Everybody knows it.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slighty off the topic but what inspired an insurance company (kyobo) to go into the book-selling business anyway? Whoever came up with that idea was a genius since it looks like Kyobo is making a fortune from its book stores.
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Cdnteacher and folks now I can get some new books YAY....
JohnH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: free books Reply with quote

I am new in Daegu and stumbled across a bar the other day which gives away books - novels, magazines, english texts etc.
you can get them at the People's Club in Chilseong Market. When I was there he had boxes of stuff which he had accumulated over his years in Korea. He's an English guy from London and doesn't charge anything.

But if you still need Kyobo bookstore it's basically in the same road as Migliore but the other side of the junction with the main downtown shopping street.

Laughing
visviva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NB on the English-books-in-Daegu front...

I found a nice concentration of linguistics/language teaching/English lit books at the Kyungpook National University bookshop. It's open on Saturday, don't know about Sunday. It's in the Bokjigwan building on the ground floor. That's the same building where the Daegu chapter KOTESOL meetings are held. The chapter website has maps and directions.

Nothing there is really "pleasure reading," since presumably all the books are required texts for one course or another. But the range is impressive, and I was able to pick up some books that I've had trouble finding even in Seoul.

Another thing: When last I was in Jisan-dong some months back, there were signs for a Withus branch, but it was always closed. I could never figure out if they hadn't gone into business yet or had precipitately gone out. Anyone got the scoop on that one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: