Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor Customer Service?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I seriously find customer service in Korea to be generally waaay better than in Canada. In Canada people in the service industry are often surly and unhelpful, and still require you to tip them anyway. Here they are usually pleasant, respectful, and eager to help (in my experience - nothing like the stuff above has ever happened to me). The only time I've felt uncomfortable with the service people here are in traditional places with older staff - grizzled street market adjummas, that kind of thing.
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I've received decent customer service while in Korea. I've never been asked to leave a restaurant as others have posted. I've usually received a smile and some attempts to speak to me in English.

The best and worst customer service I've received has been at the bank. I've been told I can't use cash to pay my bills at one bank because I didn't have an account with them. At another time, I was recognized as a customer that sends money home regularly and one of the tellers got up and got me a form without my asking, leaving several other people waiting in line, even though I didn't want to wire money at the time.

In general though, I'd agree that Koreans don't know what a customer is nor how to treat that customer so they remain loyal and always come back for more.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a bartender for years and liked the job, but the salary was awful. Canada seems to have the worst of worlds when it comes to customer service-- the pay is terrible, and there is little tipping. We seem in between America, where bad pay is compensated for by large tips, and Britain, where pay is better and no one tips. Businesses tend to get the employees they pay for.

I haven't had horrid service in Korea, although sometimes staff are a little too casual and lazy. My bad experiences in Korea are the service that's too good; it's hard to just look at something in a department store without being swarmed by salespeople eager to sell me everything and to demonstrate how the toothbrush works, just in case I didn't know.

Ken:>
shakuhachi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been ushered out of a restaurant for no aparent reason... just refused service completely.

Ive found that Korean customer service is generally better than that of my home country.

What you should do in this case is ask "whats the reason for this discrimination? The reason I came is because Mr. Kim recommended this place..."

All the while scratch your head as if you are perplexed. Now you have called on him to give you a reason. And he has another problem. If he chucks you out, he will certainly cause this "Mr. Kim" to lose face. He might lose a customer or may even face violence from the humiliated "Mr. Kim". Best of all, it could be anyone!

Try it out... here is the Korean... "������ ������ ������ �����Դϱ�?���� �������� ������ ������..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: