Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Buffets Around...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiddirts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Best Buffets Around... Reply with quote

I love food and love to hit it hard when I can (food that is, ha!) One thing I miss about America is the countless numbers of buffets everywhere, whether it's Chinese, or Golden coral, sizzler, hotel buffets, etc...Just wondering what you guys have found in Korea as being anything worth visiting as I'm always looking for something new...so far I'll give you my experiences...

Hotel Intercontinental (near coex):Price 40,000: Food: Everything, Korean, even decent pizza, sushi, sashimi, excellent soup, nice spread, tons of stuff, hagan daz ice cream tubs for dessert, fancy cheese, tons of stuff, a lot to choose from. OVERALL: A little pricey (too pricey) but the best I've seen so far.

Tower Plaza (forgot the name...inside coex mall though): you go up a very tall elevator from inside the mall: 32,000 I think. Buffet was okay. They had sushi, and some other dishes. Many cold dishes. Cakes and stuff for dessert. I went there late and some of the hot stuff was cold.
OVERALL: for an extra 8,000 I'd take Hotel Intercontinental in a second.

Carne Station (a couple of locations...one down the street from coex):Around 20,000..I think...they also have a choice of steak and and king crab legs for around 40,000...haven't been there in a while, though. Did I mention it's all you can drink as well? your basic Korean bbq with all the fixings. Spagetti, soft tacos, ice cream too. The meat quality is medium at best. OVERALL: Worth it if you want to get hammered or if you're craving crab.

Green buffet (in haebongchun off of main street before it gets steep): Typical Korean bbq...8,000 small selection, they have fried mondu that have been sitting out forever. The quality of meat is really low, but for that price, it's still a good bargain. Never got sick anyway. OVERALL: I find myself going there once a week because of the price/location but for quality...I'll eat Mcdonald's before I try their bulgogi. Kalbi is okay. I think there are a ton of small korean buffet bbq's like this, you just have to find them.

Sizzler:(Somewhere...I forgot, near gangnam though): not what I remember in the states...more of a steak place with small salad bar, not the same...they have the chicken wings, but that's all...really small. OVERALL: Go if you want a steak...that's it.

Anybody else know of any bomb-azz buffets to stuff my American face? Always in the hunt for fine-dining hotel buffet spreads...
W.T.Carl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one would be Manchu's. This is across the street from Outback near Kimpo airport. Also, you can get North Korean alcohol at Carne Station (which is also near Manchus). Try it and see just how bad it is.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hilton's Sunday Brunch.

If you wait a few months and you can do an after-brunch stroll amongst the Namsan cherry blossoms- a winning combination.

An even better combination would be to schedule a forum get-together some Saturday night in March and then follow-up with this the next day.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I've been to is Carnae Station, but I dig the "all you can drink" aspect. I just make halfass chicken burritos and down liquor the whole time.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holiday Inn in Seoul has a Chinese food buffet.

My personal favorite is the Paris Grill's buffet at the Hyatt in Seoul.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:

My personal favorite is the Paris Grill's buffet at the Hyatt in Seoul.

Yes, the Paris Grill is fabulous, expensive but very good.

Also the Indian Buffet at the Moghul Restaurant in Itaewon is very reasonable at 25,000 and really great.
jaebea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I came to Korea (1999 July), we went to a buffet somewhere in COEX I believe, very very high up. I think it was called Viking?

Anyway, nice vibe, no idea on price, and an interesting range of foods.

Go if you like your escargot though.. :D

jae.
Mankind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63 building is the best in the city. Maybe the most expensive too. Last I was there, they had 4 buffet tables going.

HAND Smile
Kiddirts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

jaebea- yeah, the viking! that's the name of the "tower plaza" one I couldn't think of. It's so high up, my ears literally popped. Right in Coex Mall---> I must have gone at a bad time, though. What does the paris grill at hyatt offer and how much is it? and what kind of food is at the manchu? Thanks guys, I guess I'm not the only one known to leave the restaurant on a stretcher.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down, the best deal going in Seoul is Chakraa's Indian buffet. 14,000won and enough dishes to keep you going back for seconds and thirds. Moghul? Flush that turd. Chakraa has more (and better) and it's half the price.

Sizzler has a red-headed, Korean step-sister named VIPS which you may find in random locations throughout the city. You can make your own tacos if you order the salad bar. That used to be a big deal to me until a friend sent over a case of taco seasoning, and I discovered flour tortillas at Hannam market.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been myself and it's not really a buffet, but there's also one of those Brazilian all-you-can-eat meat joints where they come around with skewers and you can pick what you want. Had some friends go there and they give it high marks (if you're a carnivore, of course).
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FierceInvalid wrote:
I haven't been myself and it's not really a buffet, but there's also one of those Brazilian all-you-can-eat meat joints where they come around with skewers and you can pick what you want. Had some friends go there and they give it high marks (if you're a carnivore, of course).

Ipanema.

Food's great, but I don't support those fuckers. The one day that my friends and I can go for lunch is Sunday, and those jerkoffs reserve the entire place for the wedding hall across the street.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Gwangju-shi:

The SDA buffet. I dream about the food there. I can't give good directions to it, but it's near the Do-Chung, walking towards and past the big Nong-Hyup. It's across he street from a parking lot.
Kiddirts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kinda food is at the SDA? Also, I think I've been to the indian buffet chakra, but didn't think it was good...we were the only people there and the food was cold...where's Ipanema? That sounds pretty good...I'll have to forget about it on Sunday though.
osangrl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are into Indian Cusuine, the buffet above the hamilton hotel is the best around....Ashoka restaurant, Lunch runs for a whopping 28 thousand and dinner is more, you will not be dissapointed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: