Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

slowest teacher you ever had
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here it is

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: slowest teacher you ever had Reply with quote

there's a thread about slowest student currently going here...kind of weak to pick on kids with different speeds of learning...but how about slowest teacher???

A guy who thought teaching meant reading a paragraph at a time of a story, asking kids to underline words they didn't know, and then define them on the fly in language the kids were no less likely to understand than they were the words they didn't understand to begin with.

"OK, good one, understand. So, understand means 'comprehend'...understand? Good."

The phrase "pre-teaching" vocab is so simple...yet so elusive...
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy who replaced me has a really, really horrible drawl. It's so bad, I literally find myself anticipating his next sentence.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked with a guy who would thump the students as hard as he could on the head with the text book "just to see how much they could handle."
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you being a little insensitive? Maybe the teacher had a genuine teaching disability. Or issues at home that you don't know about. You shouldn't be so quick to jump on other people without knowing their situation. Maybe he had ADD and couldn't take the time to pre-teach vocab. In which case you should just lovingly accept him and value him for being a special human being. He may be just there for the money. But then again the kids are just there because their parents pay.

Kind of weak to pick on teachers with different styles of teaching.

Get my point? Or was the sarcasm too finely veiled.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillarious! I had to read it again so I could redefine the words I didn't understand in a language I didn't comprehend.

Actually the worst teacher I ever saw is well............. me.

I did work with a guy from London who was a real gem though. His method of promoting conversation in adult classes was to insult the students culture, and their country and them as well and see if anyone would respond.

I ended up being the guy's roommate. I would have choked the guy except that the things he did were so ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing.
Cheers
william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:

Get my point? Or was the sarcasm too finely veiled.

Sorry, I all I could see was your sledgehammer of an opinion.
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven forfend that I should have an opinion I'm not afraid of bashing others over the head with.

Last time I checked that was still legal....or is it just that strong-minded women intimidate you, Beckerson? After all, your last girlfriend was Korean wasn't she?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with you and the "Korean girlfriend" bashing, anyways? You tried that on me, now you gotta send some Billy Bob's way. Seems childish.

Anyways, where I come from, you're fully entitled to have any opinion you damn well please, but when someone puts an equally in-your-face opinion up in response, I hope you don't expect some leeway, some softness about it.

Oh wait, that's why you got that gangster Korean boyfriend, right? To beat up us bad people.

All I've seen from you argument-wise is nitpicking about something as silly as a typo, or veiling your point in a bunch of sarcasm. Wow. Awe-inspiring.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
What is it with you and the "Korean girlfriend" bashing, anyways? You tried that on me, now you gotta send some Billy Bob's way. Seems childish.

Anyways, where I come from, you're fully entitled to have any opinion you damn well please, but when someone puts an equally in-your-face opinion up in response, I hope you don't expect some leeway, some softness about it.

Oh wait, that's why you got that gangster Korean boyfriend, right? To beat up us bad people.

All I've seen from you argument-wise is nitpicking about something as silly as a typo, or veiling your point in a bunch of sarcasm. Wow. Awe-inspiring.

You bash Corporal for bashing people having Korean girlfriends and then you bash her for having a Korean boyfriend? When you present a argument try not to weaken it by engaging in the same behaviour that you are arguing against. It doesn't really strengthen your position Rolling Eyes
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to see is a tag team match, Billomania and Korean girlfriend in one corner, Corporal and Korean husband in the other. The Lemon can ref.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
You bash Corporal for bashing people having Korean girlfriends and then you bash her for having a Korean boyfriend? When you present a argument try not to weaken it by engaging in the same behaviour that you are arguing against. It doesn't really strengthen your position Rolling Eyes

It's that sarcasm stuff that Corporal likes to use. Look at it that way; maybe it'll become clearer to you. I don't need lessons on debate, thanks.

Corporal wrote:
Z, let Billy Bob fight his own battles. He's a big boy.

I don't have a boyfriend, I have a husband. And incidentally, he COULD kick your ass, by the by, but you said it first, not me. I can fight my own battles too.

I haven't seen much in the way of awe-inspiring posts from you either.

I would, but you seem to have some chip on your shoulder against guys with Korean girlfriends, even though you're married to a Korean guy. I don't see how you relate problems to this, and I'm pointing that out.

I also don't see how you can magically assume that your husband can kick my ass. Sure, have faith in the man, but I wouldn't believe that too heartily. Then again, if you don't believe it, it's not worth believing, or so I gather from your general message.

And yea, my posts don't inspire awe, because I'm actually trying to be friendly and lend advice wherever I can, as opposed to attack people verbally/in written form for petty sh*t on the internet. Anybody can rant about typos. Anybody can accuse someone of being a drunkard because they mention other peoples' weekly beer outings. Anyone can dig into someone because they're not so in-your-face, and put all the blame into the girlfriend.

I'm all for tough girls. I used to love reading stuff you posted on here. The tough stuff. But this petty wanna-be debate crap...psshh.

I've done enough myself for the day. Trying to cut back on the Special Olympics participation.
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anybody can accuse someone of being a drunkard because they mention other peoples' weekly beer outings".

I suspected you were still bitter about that.

Want the truth? I don't have a problem with guys having Korean girlfriends. It's just tiresome finding out how many of you just want an easy lay, and then come on this board to boast about it, or to get tips on picking them up. Some of us are here for the long run. If you're one of the latter, not just out for a quick *beep*, then good on you. I guess I just got turned off by Bill's whole "I have a girlfriend here, but I think I'd like Japan better, so oh well, sucks to be her" attitude.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa.... that's getting a bit personal there girl, don't you think? It's one thing to have a Korean girlfriend, it's a whole other thing to commit yourself to someone, especially if that someone happens to live in a country that doesn't really appeal to you. Don't be too hard on old Will. I've seen the way some Korean girls throw themselves at Western guys.
First thing you know, she's talking marriage and you are still trying to figure out if you want to go steady.

Anyway, whatever happened it's not for us to judge.
Cheers
The Bobster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tawdry little spat this thread turned out to be ...

Corporal :
Quote:
I don't have a problem with guys having Korean girlfriends. It's just tiresome finding out how many of you just want an easy lay, and then come on this board to boast about it, or to get tips on picking them up.

Actually, it sounds like you do have a problem with it, and you're letting it bleed over into a discussion on a totally different matter.

Look, way I read it, Beckerson didn't have any problem with you being a woman and having an opinion, seemed more like he thought it was expressed a little too bluntly, without tact, and perhaps even the "quaint" little courteous qualifications a lot us make to the effect that okay here's my opinion even though I know other opinions have equal value as mine do ... naw, I guess that ain't your style. Sarcasm's fun, hard to resist it sometimes, but it's also often unkind.

Ain't his style, either, maybe - he called it a sledgehammer opinion, but I don't recall him making any reference to your gender or whether a woman has a right to express herself this way ... odd that you took it way, I think.

Odd also that you chose to respond in such a personal attack on someone's character, corporal - as your later comments quoted above indicate, sounds like you got some issues, lady.

What I see coming through, though, is a very negative set of attitudes not just about western guys over her - which you all but confessed to - but also a kind of stereotyping of Korean women that ought to embarass you if you looked at it clearly. They ain't so submissive as it appears you believe - in fact, the ones westerners hang with tend to have MORE opinions than the norm, and it's the Korean men who don't like that kind of thing.

If I wanted to go commenting on personal relationships, I might ask how well your Korean husband digs your in-your-face way of expressing things ... um, gee, maybe he doesn't - and maybe you need to come here to let loose that side of your psyche.

Bring it on, babe. We're here for you. Wink

Hey, chill. We're all friends here, or we could be if we gave each other the chance ...
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was, I feel sorry for Will's girlfriend, if he still has one, or if she's the same one, and for others like her that might actually be taking their relationship with a foreigner seriously. Maybe these women don't realize that some of you guys have this attitude (which I have READ posted on these boards before) that you are only here for a short time and you just want to...err...enjoy your brief stay because you don't have the balls or the patience or whatever it takes to make a permanent commitment to this country. THAT is what is truly unfortunate. I just don't understand how you guys can be like, "sorry hon, it was fun while it lasted, but gotta go home now, 'cause who wants to live in Korea forever?" That is not fair to your girlfriends.

As for my husband, he chose to put me above his friends and family in order of importance, and I did the same, when I made the decision to live here, so I'd have to say we're both pretty happy with each other. Tell you what though, I'll PM you if I need marriage counselling, okay?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: