Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gangnam-gu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxz903

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Gangnam-gu Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't think I've seen any posts on specific areas in Seoul and their relative merits and disadvantages. Specifically, I was wondering if anybody could tell me something about what it's like to live and work in Gangnam-gu.

Cheers
greekvvedge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangnam is the "exclusive"area of seoul. i live there, in a place called apkujeong. the girls are prettier here and the stores are more expensive. there is access to more western stuff maybe. not all its cracked up to be though.

you can find more english speakers here though probably.
machellebelle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Cheongdam...

The guys and girls are all skinny and well dressed.

There are places to go, but it's expensive. There are exceptions to this-- Monkey Beach, anyone?
The Koreans are well-educated so you'll come across quite a few who are completely fluent. Many of the 20 something adults were sent to the US/Canada/New Zealand/ etc to study when they were children.

Buying food at the grocery store can be a bit more expensive as there aren't really that many little ajummas selling produce off the back of a truck, but you to find them.

With the cost of the apartment, you could probably get a nicer place for the same amount elsewhere.

I like it here, I just wish I were more centrally located to places I frequent with my friends
Return Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gangnam-gu Reply with quote

fxz903 wrote:
Hi,
I don't think I've seen any posts on specific areas in Seoul and their relative merits and disadvantages. Specifically, I was wondering if anybody could tell me something about what it's like to live and work in Gangnam-gu.

Cheers

Gangnam is a nice area to see a movie, have a pint, look at pretty girls, have a bite to eat, etc. but I wouldn't want to live there. I did a few years back and wouldn't do it again.

I love food and found that the grocery shopping is almost exclusively for Korean tastes. There is only one large supermarket which is the Emart near Seolleung station. Not a lot of selection, but adequate. There are grocery stores in the basements of all the large department stores, but they are generally expensive. Western goods are hit or miss and certainly overpriced.

Don't know if you're a guy or a girl, but the women do tend to be even more attractive than usual. At the same time, however, it's new-money central. Lots of money flowing from Daddy the lawyer or plastic surgeon, but not a lot of sophistication. "Look at me! I'm driving a BMW that my parents obviously own."

There's lots of highrises and traffic and people coming and going everywhere. A nice place to spend a Saturday and take a train back to a more livable part of town. That's my 2 cents.

Also, where would you be working? You could open up a flood gate of comments depending on the school you plan to work at.
red_devil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Orange County of Korea.
greenwillow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bad place to live in. Sure Apgu and Chungdam are more central to clubbing, as well as the area right around Gangnam station. But I live a 10-20 minute distance away from all three areas and its a great place to be. A visit to any chainstore coffee shop (starbucks, pascucci, the coffee bean etc) is almost guaranteed to have a few people around that speak fluent English, and some will come up to me for a quick chat. Everyone's well-dressed and clean, well-educated, and generally fun. Lines 2 and 3 run by close, so I can either go around but stay put on line 2 or cut through the middle and transfer later on line 3 if I want to get to Hongdae.

It's a good place to teach as well, so many parents spend millions of won on their kindergarten children to send them to an 'english kindergarten' so even the little first and second years of elementary school will come up to me and talk - relatively well, that is.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not mistake Gangnam-gu with Gangnam area.

Everyoe is talking about northern Gangnam-gu known simply as "gangnam".

Southern Gangnam-gu is quite different.
victorology

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since moving to Korea, I've lived in both Sinchon and Gangnam. I noticed that I saw much more of the city when I lived in Sinchon. I'd head to Apgujeong or Gangnam station a lot to meet friends but I'd also hang out in Hongdae, Sinchon, Myeongdong, Jongro, Mokdong, etc.

Now that I live in Gangnam, I don't leave the area much. Most of my friends live here and even if they don't, we'll almost always meet in Apgujeong. That area can't be beat for the quality of girls (looks wise). Of course, a high percentage of them are bar girls but it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

The largest supermarket near my house is Emart by Sulleung station. If I take a cab, it costs about 2,500 won from my place. Near my home, there are smaller supermarkets that aren't bad for basic needs.

I pay for my own housing and for the same price, I could get a nicer place outside of Gangnam but IMO, the location can't be beat.
fxz903

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for your responses. I've got a contract for the EWAS in Daechi-dong, so if anyone knows anything about that school, I'd like to know it before going off to teach for the first time...
esetters21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Apgujeong for my first few years here. It was nice and central. I grew a little tired of the pretentious attitude that abounds around there after awhile.

As others mentioned, you can't go wrong with it in respects of attractive people, however.
billybrobby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorology wrote:
Since moving to Korea, I've lived in both Sinchon and Gangnam. I noticed that I saw much more of the city when I lived in Sinchon. I'd head to Apgujeong or Gangnam station a lot to meet friends but I'd also hang out in Hongdae, Sinchon, Myeongdong, Jongro, Mokdong, etc.

Now that I live in Gangnam, I don't leave the area much. Most of my friends live here and even if they don't, we'll almost always meet in Apgujeong. That area can't be beat for the quality of girls (looks wise). Of course, a high percentage of them are bar girls but it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

The largest supermarket near my house is Emart by Sulleung station. If I take a cab, it costs about 2,500 won from my place. Near my home, there are smaller supermarkets that aren't bad for basic needs.

I pay for my own housing and for the same price, I could get a nicer place outside of Gangnam but IMO, the location can't be beat.

It's like you've been reading my diary
Freakstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live and work in Gangnam and rarely leave the area. Gangnam isn't for everyone - it's definitely more expensive to live here than in other parts of the city - but I can't imagine living anywhere else in Seoul. The nighlife in Apgu/Cheongdam gets old after awhile, but it's better than Itaewon or Hongdae.
i4NI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorology wrote:
we'll almost always meet in Apgujeong. That area can't be beat for the quality of girls (looks wise). Of course, a high percentage of them are bar girls but it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.

Where exactly in Apgujeong is it good? Rodeo street sucks ass, especially monkey beach.
samd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gangnam is overrated, and there are hardly any postitives versus a lot of negatives.

I can understand Koreans wanting to live there for investment reasons, and access to schooling, but for foreigners there are much better areas to live.
greekvvedge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxz903 wrote:
Ok, thanks for your responses. I've got a contract for the EWAS in Daechi-dong, so if anyone knows anything about that school, I'd like to know it before going off to teach for the first time...

I think Daechi-dong is the nicest part of Gangnam. It's clean, there are parks and its close to things like COEX. Its also close to being out of Seoul, so you've mountains and whatnot that are good for hiking nearby.

I dont know any schools that are good there, though. A lot of my students live there though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: