Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which universities are you waiting on?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyosung650

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Which universities are you waiting on? Reply with quote

It's the time of year when a lot of people will be in the same boat as me, looking to jump from one uni to the next, or trying for that first step up from a hagwon. You've sent off a load of applications in the last few weeks and now you're waiting waiting waiting to see who calls you back to ask you in for interview. Problem is most unis only get in touch with their chosen few leaving everyone else wondering if their resume has been consigned to the scrap heap or if the university admin just hasn't got around to contacting people yet.
A lot of people here will have applied to a lot of the the same universities so I suggest we help each other out by posting which unis have already completed their screening process and so probably won't be giving you a call if they haven't already.

To start I can tell you that Sungshin Women's University, Anyang University and Kyonggi University have all chosen the people they want to interview so if you were waiting to hear from any of them, sorry it's probably not going to happen.

Anyone else care to share which unis they know for a fact have finished contacting applicants?
Thiuda

Location: Religion ist f�r Sklaven geschaffen, f�r Wesen ohne Geist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which universities are you waiting on? Reply with quote

POSTECH seems also to have chosen its interviewees; I received an e-mail with a "Thank you, maybe next time," yesterday.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't throw in the towel just yet! Many of these places don't have the best pay or conditions, so people on the initial list end up bailing for better opportunities. A lot of schools end up hiring from the bottom of the pile for one reason or another.
krshearman74

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sungshin Women's University plans on having multiple interviews - first the ridiculous demo-teaching and at least one other saturday interview. I don't know about Anyang, but I've heard very bad things about Kyonggi. Dongguk and Kyungwon have scheduled interviews.
Hyosung650

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can confirm Dongguk is now finished. It is possible Anyang will be scheduling more interviews. As for Kyonggi I didn't apply there myself but a friend has just signed for them today, shearman what are the bad things you've heard?

PRagic of course you're right. Any of these places might get turned down by their first choices and then go crawling to someone else a month down the line but I still hope this thread can put people a little more in the picture than they would otherwise be. For instance has anybody heard back from Inha uni yet? I'm hoping to get a call from them this week.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rejection emails from seoul nat and ewha, got a phone call from kyung hee a couple of weeks ago saying they would call me if interested since and now they are running another ad. sungshin and a couple of others are advertising again. nothing from yonsei, kodae and a few others but those are top notch schools

appears from what i'm hearing there is a glut of ma tesols out there looking plus the bunch that were hired at hongik (40 odd) 4 years ago are out there looking as they have a 4 year limit.

this may not be the best time to be looking for a univ position unless you have an ma tesol or are willing to take less than 2.5/month with no housing in seoul, if you have a ba and want a unigwon job you may be ok or if you want to work out in the sticks
krshearman74

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyosung -

In regards to Kyonggi, I heard that they really work you like a slave and that teaching during the breaks is compulsory. Granted, it does say all this in their advertisement, but sometimes administration says you have to teach during the breaks and nothing ever transpires - you definitely teach during the breaks, and you teach A LOT of hours.

That's a little bit distressing about Hongik and the all the MAs in TESOL out there.

This post is a really good idea - thanks.
krshearman74

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I interviewed at Inha, but no word yet. A couple of different departments are hiring at Inha, and it seems like they're all doing separate searches, so good luck with that one.
ddeubel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any general "feelings" , info. about Ewha Women's U. Graduate school of TESOL? I"d like any "low down".

Cheers,

DD

PS. If you are still looking - try this handy tool that I put together in an hour or so today. Works well, one stop shopping.
Hyosung650

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Sherman some good info to know. Though I think the new Sungshin ad is for a different department than the one that did the Saturday interviews a couple of weeks back.

I've met a couple of the Hongik 4 yearers they do all seem to have MAs or are working towards them so we may have to concede some of the better jobs to them this time around. There's plenty of half-decent unis looking this year though so don't give up hope just yet.
krshearman74

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I haven't given up hope yet. But with the way the economy is it comes down to either getting another uni job (my uni suddenly instituted a three-years-and-then-you're-out rule) or going home. No way will I ever go back to hogwan hell after three years of uni heaven.
offtheoche

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Hongik will be interviewing soon. Didn't hear anything about SNU or HUFS.
Rockwell Bergstrom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNU had their interviews last Friday. They're supposed to let people know today.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employment terms at Ewha's TESOL Grad School Program were pretty dissapointing when they came out. I thought they were going to pay a more competitive wage. I've talked to a couple of the profs affiliated with the new program, and they really want to hire Ph.D.s. Too bad they aren't paying enough and can't match the extras provided by other, more competitive universities and departments.

Rather than being a holy grail position for the most qualified and experienced, the TESOL program is shaping up to be yet another stepping stone. Don't know what they're offering for a Ph.D., though.

Oh, and one upside is that they probably won't enforce any term limits.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:

appears from what i'm hearing there is a glut of ma tesols out there looking plus the bunch that were hired at hongik (40 odd) 4 years ago are out there looking as they have a 4 year limit.

And there will be a fairly large number of people every year or so leaving Hongik, as Tiger said. We saw this during the hiring period this year -- everyone hired has experience teaching at unis. This was not always the case in previous years.

The good news is that if so many people left Hongik, then a lot of people can stand a chance at getting a job filling those open spots.

Yes, there are indeed a glut of 8-month MA's from a certain school down under that has no scruples about lowering standards to make a buck.

I hope that people who have influence on school hiring groups make this point clear to Koreans doing the hiring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: