Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid contract drug test?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poet13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: mid contract drug test? Reply with quote

A coteacher mentioned that I "might" have to take a drug test after I return from my trip to the Philippines in January. I don't take drugs, and haven't for more than ten years, but I'm a little incredulous that it would be suggested mid-contract.

Anybody else hear the same?

I'm tempted to say on principle alone, "show me that in my contract.", but of course I would look guilty as hell....

I'm in EPIK in kyeongsanbukdo.
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell them fine, as long as they pay for you to go to the hospital of your choice. find an expensive hospital, get a price list, show your school
daz1979

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just told the same thing. Confused

I called immigration about adding a winter camp to my E2 and they said I would have to have all my drug tests done again.

This is ridiculous! I only had them done 5 months ago and have not left the country since. Probably something else they have decided to throw into the mix to confuse people even more!
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a thread about this. I'm renewing for next year and they want one for pre-renewal. I'm with Gyeongsangnam province.

I'm happy to do it if they pay.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me Simon Simple if you want, but I don't really see what the big deal is, especially if you know you're clean. Many, many companies in the west test for drugs with a lot less warning.
Mr_Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drug tests are complete b.s. in my opinion in the West or wherever. What's inside of our bodies is no-one's business but our own.

As long as you're not actually high on them while working on the job, who's business is it what you do in your free time.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Call me Simon Simple if you want, but I don't really see what the big deal is, especially if you know you're clean. Many, many companies in the west test for drugs with a lot less warning.

Ok, Simon. But how many employers expect their employee to shell out the cash themselves? Plus they require a more rigorous test than immi does.

I'm more gripey that they view all foreigners as diseased drug addicts.
SqueakyBuddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another for them to make you feel like the dirty evil FT. If they're worried about the students then the Korean teachers would have to be tested too. But I'd bet a months pay this test is just for non Koreans.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My co-teacher is saying I can use it when it comes time to renew my visa.

Is this true? I don't renew till mid-March.
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
Quote:

Ok, Simon. But how many employers expect their employee to shell out the cash themselves? Plus they require a more rigorous test than immi does.

I'm more gripey that they view all foreigners as diseased drug addicts.

Then why don't you prove them wrong by taking the freakin' test already?

I understand where you're coming from and I'd be pissed if I had to pay for the test as well. But if your employer is paying for it (and from anecdotal evidence, many of them do), I really don't see the issue. I repeat; it's becoming an increasingly common practice where I come from so why should Korea be any different? Okay, so the Korean teachers don't have to do it, but the Korean teachers aren't (usually) short term immigrants from countries that have comparitively high rates of drug usage. It's not completely incomprehensible that they would ask us for drug tests.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from and I'd be pissed if I had to pay for the test as well. But if your employer is paying for it (and from anecdotal evidence, many of them do), I really don't see the issue.

These two sentences are contradictory. I'm pissed about having to take the test because I will need to do another one in 4 months time. Added to this, they request a more rigorous test than immigration do.

My employee is NOT paying for it, which is moot because if the POE want a test over and above the contract, they should be willing to pay for it.
jinks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration no longer require a drug test. I just applied to extend my visa; I had to run around and get a CRC, HIV and TB test, but no drug test.
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do a mid-contract drug test anytime - as long as it's during work hours, they pay for my taxis to the hospital & back and for the test.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll do a mid-contract drug test anytime - as long as it's during work hours, they pay for my taxis to the hospital & back and for the test.

Me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: