Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Can I Prepare Someone For The TOEFL Test?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: How Can I Prepare Someone For The TOEFL Test? Reply with quote

I know that the TOEFL/TOEIC tests revolve a lot around listening comprehension. I'm trying to privately help someone prepare for their test, and I'm curious if anyone has any interesting ideas on how to go about this. The person is close to me, and money isn't involved, nor is it private teaching, but I do want to do the best job I can in helping them prepare.

Any recommendations? All I can see so far is giving them reading comprehension assignments...
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: also interested... Reply with quote

I need to do some more research into what the test is like myself, but I also want to help someone prepare. The Korea Times English cafe section has a little TOEFL/TOEIC page that gives questions in English and explanations in Korean that I've used.

I know there are a lot of preparation booklets out there too...and perhaps computer programs. As I understand it, the test can be taken either way, written or on computer. The Fulbright people are in charge of it in Korea:
http://www.toeflkorea.or.kr/english/index.html
Here's another site that may be helpful too:
http://www.toeflkorea.or.kr/english/toefl/bulletine.html

I think that a big part of helping someone prepare is getting them used to the types of questions on the test and strategies used to get correct answers without wasting time.

The test covers: Listening , Structure, Reading, and Writing so I think that to prepare someone you would really have to practice all of these things lots. Knowing what I do of Korean English learners, I think that their listening and writing skills seem to be the poorest. Those sections can also be the most nerve wracking on a test. Of course, the person you are helping may be a different case.

Anyway, I would like more info myself, so bring on the suggestions those of you who have taught TOEFL or TOEIC students.
Ody1966

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two words
listening comprehension.
this is what i would do.
your student should be able to get listening tapes that are practice specifically designed for this test.
check them out yourself.
then prepare your own reading drills accordingly.
indiercj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any materials for TOEFL/TOEIC/GRE in seoul, you should call 02-515-0577(Source Bank). This is a small shop that copy all kinds of question books and tapes. Yes this is illigal stuff. But every korean preparing for the test use it. It is located in Apkujung dong. Get off at Apkujung station on the orange line look for the #2 exit, walk along the block for about 200m it is on the 2nd floor of a building just next to a Shinhan bank if I recall right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far; Ody[numbers] thus far was the closest to hitting the nail on the head. Supplies aren't the issue; it's more about how to effectively use said supplies.

edit: I said indiercj when I meant Ody1966.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: