Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr Park's psychiatric clinic in Seoul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Dr Park's psychiatric clinic in Seoul Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Dr.Park's clinic in Seoul. I really need some counseling with regards to my problems with anxiety/depression. From what I've read so far his English is very good so communication shouldn't be a problem.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you wish. Thanks
marsha marsha marsha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: AVOID Reply with quote

Avoid him at all costs!

I had heard good things about him from other folks so gave it a try.

I just went in for some anxiety issues because I was leaving my husband.
During the session, I told him my grandfather had killed himself when I was young. At the end of the session, I wasn't sure that I was going to return because I just didn't like him very much. Then he said I must return or I'll end up like my grandfather! I was seeing this guy for anxiety and he totally played emotional games. Obviously I never went back.

I will say, however, if you are looking for some good stuff to relax you, he is your man! After just one session, he loaded me up with enough pills for a month.
kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

You should just go to a regular Korean psychiatrist, I found one here who charged 3,000 to see her, was really great and provided all the prescriptions you would get at home. Ask some of your Korean friends, they might be able to help, also avoid Itaewon International clinic I went there first and he distributed the pills in the clinic so he was charging a small fortune!!
catman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I am asking about Dr.Park is because I've seen his advertisement in the Herald. He is the only psychiatrist I know who can speak perfect English.

If anyone knows of anyone else please PM me.

Especially if it is in the Daejon area. Thanks
royjones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why go to a psychiatrist for counselling?? Why doesnt you go to a psychologist. I dont know your situation, but do you really want to start taking meds? I have alot of friends back home who had mild depression and antidepressants are one of the most widely prescribled medications. I just think counselling would do much more than putting your trust in a pill. In my experience with psychiatrists they rarely listen, and just write out a prescription.
chiaa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a Korean women in my store who is a psychiatrist. She seemed to be really nice and spoke English rather well.

You can contact her at:

Dong Suwon Hospital

Hae Yong Kang

031-210-0254
019-690-7692

The 031 is her office and she told me that her secretary doesn't speak English.

http://www.whatthebook.com
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recommended a few of my own clients to Dr. Park over the last couple of years and have never heard of any complaints from them.

Unfortunately, the incident that the above poster brought up seems quite bizarre and a bit incredible. If he truly said that, then it would be very sad.

I would also echo another poster who previously pointed out that perscription meds are not always necessary. I would tend to agree, though do understand that I am not an M.D. so I cannot speak authoritatively. What I would caution is that apparently some psychiatrists and MDs. are getting kickbacks from the pharmaceudical companies and one might want to consider what kinds of Med. one should take~ if any. That means possibly going for a second opinion.

All the best with the OP as s/he looks for some help.
Cheers!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lizara

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to find Dr. Park's clinic? and do you know if he's open on Saturdays?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harpeau

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Jinseng Park M.D., PhD. 02-563-0609 [email protected] psychiatry, psychotherapy. Seollung Station Line 2 (5 min.)

I would also recommend Dr. Yoo at Seoul National University's International Clinic. (02)2072-2890. He graduated from Harvard.

About Meds. there is nothing wrong with taking medication. Our brain has a fine chemical balance and sometimes we might need to adjust it with Medication. There is no shame or sense of weirdness about it. I mean, am I going to come down on a diabetic for taking insuline?! That would be nuts. My earlier point is just try to keep an open mind when it comes to medication. Counseling/Counselling may be all that you need, but sometimes medication can make all the difference in the world.

All the best.

Last edited by Harpeau on Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Park ('Mike') has been good to me over the years.

Unlike the idiot shrinks back in Canada, he gives me enough medication to function in day-to-day life in Korea. This includes the occasional light sleeping pill prescription and full-time benzos. I have a severe panic/anxiety disorder and he's been very kind and helpful.

When I talk he listens. He doesn't just push pills.

I imagine it would be more difficult elsewhere. Also, with the Korean Medical Card it's pretty cheap. His prices have dropped in the last few years due to complaints and his purchase of better generic meds.

Also, he's very into natural treatments. You can buy all kinds of very good quality health products in his clinic. Pricey? Yeah. But good stuff.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own clients have found Dr. Park to be very helpful over the years. Other counselors in town recommend him as well.

In addition, I would recommend Mike Kim at the Itaewon International Clinic. He is very patient and kind. Takes time to explain things and I think he is quite thoughtful.

http://harpo.ca/counselorsinseoul.htm
caw0059

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Dr. Park Reply with quote

I would say don't go to Dr. Park unless money is no object to you. He charges outrageous prices. I asked him why he was so expensive and his reply, "we are special foreigner clinic". I took my "special foreigner ass" to a "special Korean clinic" and got the same meds at a FRACTION of the cost. Beware of being ripped off by that f-stick.
Rob'sdad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Hahm Bong Jin at SNU hospital in Daehakno is excellent. I'll post the contact information when I fish it outta my car (moving this week).

His English is good and he makes sound descisions in regards to a course of treatment. He also has a mild and introspective manner which is quite conductive to putting the patient at ease.

SNU hospital takes the national health care plan so treatment is extremely cheap. If you make your appointment time you can be in and out with or with out medication in less than an hour.

When you first go there, go to the right and get a SNU hospital card. Then you don't need to bring your insurance book in the future. After treatment you can stick your card in these machines (there are helpers) and then your ATM card. The machine will withdraw the treatment and prescription fee from your account and print a rec. and wire the prescription to the pharmacy and you stroll over and pick it up in about 10 minutes.

If you drive then show the rec. to the parking lady and it's free to park.

Cafeteria is so-so but cheap.

That's all
seoulsister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had an awful experience with Dr Park several years ago. I don't want to go into details but it was similar to the above poster who mentioned their grandfather, very callous and unhelpful/irrelevant/unnecessary comments, almost manipulative. I was horrified and never went back. Please be careful out there.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use dr park, he's never done wrong by me. just putting my 2cents in for balance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: