Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new in Daegu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: new in Daegu Reply with quote

I am new in Daegu. Where can i go out for a drink and music etc etc and also bump into other foreigners, teachers or others?

Cheers

John H
crescent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to find other foreigners en masse, then you should head downtown. If you must take a taxi to get there, just tell the driver 'Han-Il Gook-Jang Ka-ju-se-yo'.
He will drop you off at the XN MILANO department store. Just walk down the pedestrian street adjacent to the department store. You will reach a circular court with a Burger King and McDonalds and Bennigans restaurant all next to each other. It is here that most foreigners gather.

Places we hang out...
Head Bing Bing (across the street from Coffee Myungha)
Bubble Bar (basement of Duke bar)
Rock and Roll
Bellagio

if you want a map of downtown....try this out

http://www.koreabridge.com/daegu

crescent
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: A couple of other places... Reply with quote

You can also try:

Rock and Roll
Gypsy Rock
Kiss Me Bar
Mek-Ju Jang Go (Beer Warehouse/Beer Box)

They are all in downtown and within 2 minutes walk of each other. They are up the north end of downtown but before you reach the Central Park. Walk north from BurgerKing towards the park and just before you reach the lights, there is a small alley to your right. Rock and Roll is 10 meters down that alley on the right. If you continue on down that alley, past the intersection about 20 meters, you'll find Gypsy Rock on the left in a basement. If you pass Gypsy Rock by about 25 meters, you'll find Kiss Me Bar on the 3rd floor of a building on the left.

The Beer Warehouse is also in a basement but to the left of that Hotel with the Pizza hut in it. It has a figurine of Elvis at the bottom of the stairs.

Another place that is not so well known and not in downtown but with good German style beer (on Tap!) and live music albeit is a place in the basement of the Arirana Hotel close to or in Ji-San Dong... Any Taxi Driver worth his salt should know where it is.

Have fun! Wink

(I have website... check it out)
JohnH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: getting around now Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips.

Actually i did discover the Gypsy Rock place. I am now deaf in one ear and have trouble speaking as my voice box exploded whilst trying to ask for a drink which i desperately needed after my battle to get through about 20 billion people to get there.

i also discovered another place called The People's Club which is at Chilseong station, 3 minute walk from there - next to Nonghyup bank head-office. You can tell as you walk in the door that it's not a Korean owned place - actually a British guy from London owns it. He's got great music, pool table, dance floor, and a seperate "Blue Room" for us jazz lovers....

If you go there check out the Irish Stew........There's no Kimchi in it!!!

Around the Market - which is about as big as my home town - there are also a few traditional hole-in-the wall Korean bars which are intriguing to say the least, and probably have't seen a coat of paint since the war. But very friendly people. They have a great selection of either one type of beer or Soju, or a Beer Soju cocktail.
MrTESL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Gypsy Rock rocks.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Where are some cool bars in Daegu??? Reply with quote

Ok, this is kind of an emergency - well for me it is. Me and my friend are sitting in a PC room next to Burger King in downtown Daegu. We want to go to some cool bars to meet foreigners and have some drinks. But we don't know where they are. We did a search on here and found some names but we really can't figure out how to get to them.
It seems that if you can find Gypsy Rock or Bubble Bar, they all seem to be around there. But we can't find good directions to those places.
Please help if you can.
We're next to BK, so give us directions from there PLEASE!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: