Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BROWN BREAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormholes101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: BROWN BREAD Reply with quote

Exclamation Brown bread alert Exclamation

Does anyone know where brown bread is sold in Daegu? I know that I can pick up organic and regular rye bread at Costco but do you know of any other places?

I would really love to find some veritable chunky whole grain brown loaves.

Thanks all...
weened

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all of the small bakeries in your area. I found one near my apt. that's located in a run-down neighborhood but has an amazing selection (including the brown kind). Also if you have a friend help you, the big chains can special order some unique requests. This is pretty hit or miss though. Good luck.
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once found...wholewheatish...bread at the DongA in Jisan Dong. It wasn't REALLY brown, but it wasn't that white crap either.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown bread is white bread with some kind of food coloring. No matter what way it is labeled, it's crap. No whole grain, hearty wheat/rye whatever--its the processed, refined stuff here. Prove me wrong: mail me a slice of it and I'll analyze it my kitchen labratory.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: The hunt continues... Reply with quote

Thanks corporal... I will check Donga out.

Anyone know any definite places to get brown bread???.... surely there must be someplace somewhere in Daegu... Don't you guys miss real bread??

As I mentioned in my original post, Organic Rye bread and another type of Rye bread with some other mixed grains can be purchased at Costco but what i really want is chunky stuff, like Oat bread.

BTW... check out my website Very Happy
kricket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if you don't find that brown bread you're looking for, why not try some Korean whole grain rices? Why not be adventurous and try some different kinds of Korean foods as well?

Maybe you can take this opportunity in Korea to learn and experiment within a foreign country....

P.S. I still hope you find your brown bread.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Hmmm..... Reply with quote

Hey Kricket,

I appreciate your suggestion to be adventurous with Korean food and I myself often harrass other foreigners to do the same. Very Happy

Thing is Kricket, I have lived in Asian countries for over 10 years and I am quite used to eating all varieties of weird and wonderful foods. I have lived here in Korea for nearly 3 years. I have eaten live squid, those smelly silk worms, eels, sea snails, sea squirts, sea cucumbers, chicken's feet, goose tounges, fried Krickets Wink , deep fried bamboo lavae, ant's eggs, brain, raw beef and other raw seafood... I love Asian food.

I'm not saying that I like ALL the food mentioned above Wink Live squid bites back Shocked ...I've discovered that I'm allergic to insects ... brain leaves you burping up bad smells for two days.

I prefer rice to potatos. I'd eat chillied noodle over bangers 'n' mash. Throw away the carrots and give me three fat chillis. I cook Korean food at home.

BUT, you know, I still miss a good hearty sandwich... Chunky brown bread thickly spread with advocado, a thickly layered with Austrian salami and tasty cheese, a dallop of hearty grainy mustard and topped off with freshly sliced tomato and ground black pepper... *drooling*

Help! Is there no REAL brown bread in Daegu? Anywhere in Korea? I've been living in Daegu nearly three years and have not yet once found anything browner than rye-bread. Are all you wae-guks just munching on white?

By the way... do you like Cricket (the game) or just the insect?
Take a look at my webpage too!
crescent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Paris Baguette!!! Most of them carry REAL WHOLE WHEAT BREAD...there is a picture of wheat on the bag...but be careful not to mistake that for an even darker loaf that is made from another grain.

crescent
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: bread Reply with quote

Dr. Buck wrote:

Quote:
The brown bread is white bread with some kind of food coloring. No matter what way it is labeled, it's crap. No whole grain, hearty wheat/rye whatever--its the processed, refined stuff here. Prove me wrong: mail me a slice of it and I'll analyze it my kitchen labratory.

No need for that; I agree. Brown bread in Korea is dyed.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: brown bread Reply with quote

dark bread is illegal on the korean pennisula becuase it causes; planning, agression, and desil powered trasportation.

bread you chew is an alien and dangerous idea in korea ...

keep quite!

pumpernicklel .... mmmmmmmmmmm droooool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for Daegu but in Seoul you can find some unique European style breads at the Grand InterContinental Hotel in the basement Deli shop. Perhaps at other large hotels, as well. If there is a large hotel in Daegu, preferably a chain hotel, I would check there. But you're going to pay for it!
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about getting a breadmaker sent over? Or ordered on teh internet? Could be worth it in the long run...
wormholes101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: the fake brown bread... Reply with quote

Quote:
The brown bread is white bread with some kind of food coloring

Yeah... well at least some of it is coloured with coffee... It's Mocha bread.

Quote:
If there is a large hotel in Daegu, preferably a chain hotel, I would check there

Thanks.. good idea
NickRandom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathies.... there is a bakery not far from where I live (sorry, in Seoul) called "Emma Cake House" that sells whole wheat bread - yes, Dr. Buck, REAL whole wheat bread, with whole grains intact - but it's never ready before I leave for work, and it's almost always sold out by the time I get home from work. I don't know if it's a chain or not, though. There was another bakery I used to frequent when I lived in Ilsan (even though it was a good 20 + minutes out of my way) just to get their whole-wheat bread, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. "Shilla Bakery" rings a bell... it was in the basement of a local dept. store... Sorry I can't do better than that, but good luck in the hunt - it's out there somewhere!
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul: sure you can get just about anything up there, including quality bread. As for the rest of us out in the the Korean netherworld, getting the paws on a nice loaf is tough.
Paris Baguette: what a joke of a bakery. I hate the place and despise spending my money at such hole that produces the saddest excuse for baked good in this hemisphere.
Pay close attention to the kind of flour that is sold in Korea because it all comes back to that: its all refined white flour.
I've bought a bag marked as wheat but I could not tell the difference from the white stuff except a slight coloration. Nothing to do with texture or grain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: