Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Expenses of Owning a Car...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kricket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: The Expenses of Owning a Car... Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a car. Does anyone who currently owns a car give me the low down on the costs (insurance, "road tax", inspection costs, etc...)?

I am looking to buy a small used subcompact.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I heard you could get a working Tico for free... or very little, like 100,000 korean dollars.

I can't even drive though. This post is purely to get my post count up for 'cred'.

There were lots of posts about this on the old forum. If you PM Dr Buck, I'm sure he knows all about it.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given, free, a '93 elantra. Body is all bent up but the engine is in great shape. Insurance is about 700,000 for the year. Maintenance is dirt cheap. Gas is out of this world.

if you want to buy a car that is about 8-10 years old you should be able to do so from 100,000 to 1,000,000.
kricket

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
I was given, free, a '93 elantra. Body is all bent up but the engine is in great shape. Insurance is about 700,000 for the year. Maintenance is dirt cheap. Gas is out of this world.

if you want to buy a car that is about 8-10 years old you should be able to do so from 100,000 to 1,000,000.

Do you pay the insurance in payments or all at once?

How much is a fillup of gas for your car?

Thanks
elmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kricket wrote:

Do you pay the insurance in payments or all at once?

How much is a fillup of gas for your car?

For me, 97 Accent, it's about 40,000Won to fill up the car. I didn't have to pay insurance all at once, there are various options (we paid twice). Insurance goes down significantly after 1 year...

Inspections need to be down once every 2 years, so you may not have to do it, but it takes minutes and was cheap (15,000 Won I think...?)

Having a car is great, by the way. You won't save a ton of money, but the freedom is SO worth it.
Anda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, Ive got an old Daewoo Prince, it's taxi car size car. I bought it for 1,300,000 won about 6 years back.

Insuarence here against the other person comes at three different levels of cover. 250,000.............500,000...........950,000 won for 12 months cover.
Road tax on mine started off at 270,000 per six months but has got cheaper year by year. Nowadays I'm paying about 140,000 won per six months. A small car starts off around the 170.000 won mark for six months.
You won't believe the driving here when you start but if you survive the first two to three months it just becomes normal so to speak.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 payments for insurance.. I think about 80% up front and then the rest a few months later. My wife is in charge of that so I don't really know.

a fill up 1/2 tank runs me 30,000 won good for about 250km in the city.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless one lives in the country side why would a sane person consider buying a car in Korea with all the bloody traffic and pollution?
The public transit and taxis here are great.
Its a choice I guess.. Laughing
kricket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Unless one lives in the country side why would a sane person consider buying a car in Korea with all the bloody traffic and pollution?
The public transit and taxis here are great.
Its a choice I guess.. Laughing

I live in the countryside.
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

" Unless one lives in the country side why would a sane person consider buying a car in Korea with all the bloody traffic and pollution?
The public transit and taxis here are great. "

I'm not "sane" but most of you would know that already!!!! Why be normal, it's boring!!!!! Besides driving here is a challange.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
I'm not "sane" but most of you would know that already!!!! Why be normal, it's boring!!!!!

finally Anda says something that I can understand. Laughing
saw6436

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: My Car Reply with quote

Just bought a 2003 Avante XD Delux. Fully loaded (leather seats, sunroof, 8 disk CD player, cassette player, automatic trans, 2000cc engine). I paid W12,000,000 (after trade-in). Costs W60,000 to fill up the tank. Insurance and tax is W400,000 per year.
I have been driving in Korea for 5 years, have had a korean liscense for little over 1 year. Driving here is a challenge and not one I particularly enjoy. Basicly you have to be a bit less safety minded and more aggressive in your driving habits.
Public trasnport here is great but it is limiting. I have been to so many truely great places here that I would never have been had I relied solely on public transport. My wife and I spent 2 days traveling those tiny little one lane farming roads and it was fantastic. Get out of the city and into some small villages of 20-100 people is to experience the real korea. One excursion we ended up eating dinner with an ancient farmer, his equally ancient wife and their cow. Thats right, their cow joined us in the house. Very poor couple but so kind and thrilled to have some company. We still visit them from time to time.
True a car will cut into your budget and it does create a big tie to this place. But for really getting out and enjoying korea I wouldn't trade the freedom a car gives.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, this insurance thing is probally a little hard for a new lad on the block to understand.

If you run over say a young student doctor from a rich family and kill the poor sod then you are up for a huge componsation payout to his wife or parents or whatever. This can go up into the hundreds of millions of won. A food delivery boy is far cheaper. So this is why you are offered three different levels of third party insurance. The low levels um, only gives you partial cover. It's easy to end up in jail if you can't pay so be careful.
kricket

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:

Road tax on mine started off at 270,000 per six months but has got cheaper year by year. Nowadays I'm paying about 140,000 won per six months. A small car starts off around the 170.000 won mark for six months.

What's up with this road tax?
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Don't ask me to make sense of it! I just go in and hand over whatever they ask for and seeing that it gets cheaper each time, I smile and crack a few mirrors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: