Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churches
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Churches Reply with quote

I have not been to church since being in Korea. I am looking for a church that is not legalistic or judgemental. I am a bit backslidin. Either a church or some people to meet with on a regular basis to fellowship with.

Thank you
SuperHero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://iwe.youngnak.net

It's very central. Send me a pm if you want to hook up before service and get some introductions.
haya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in Seoul?
Onnuri's great, lots of young people (20 somethings), esl teachers and the like. Fun activities, Biblically solid.
They meet in Seobinggo (in Yongsan, near Ichon), Yangjae (southeast near Kangnam) and Suwon.

http://english.onnuritv.com/web
http://english.onnuritv.com/web/services_sermons/oem_service/oem_service.htm

You can watch their services online.
sprite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could check the herald and times classifieds, and then just church hop. i can tell you that the uijongbu baptist is very bible based, but the people seemed very very friendly.

there is a very small anglican church in taejeon, like, less than 20 people. and i think most of the members were originally catholics or protestants--all very nice and welcoming.

where are you? several korean churches offer an english service; most of the people will be korean, but they'll be quite friendly. you'll have to set limits about how much you're willing to do with them in terms of giving readings, participating, church lunches etc.
the saint

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone add to this and suggest services in Korean that are friendly and evangelical and have lively worship. We want to go native. Cheers.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, the church you are looking for is Sarang in Kangnam. I've gone there for over a year. Their English services (there are 3) are totally great, and exactly what you stated. Really great!

http://nhm.sarang.org/

There is a good map on the site (which was created by my friend). Just click on "Location" at the top. Remember, the English services are in another building behind the main church. Just follow the map.

It's Evangelical/Presbyterian. Songs are newer and they have a full band with guitars, an electric violin, drums... etc. About 300 attend each service.

Oh, not sure about the Korean side of the services, but I know there are a ton of them in the main building. Sarang is one of the largest churches in Seoul, but I like the English services because they are not too big that you feel lost and can't meet anyone.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're talking about churches, the title had me confused for a second ...
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that title confusing?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
How is that title confusing?

It's spelled churhes not churches
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
Dude, the church you are looking for is Sarang in Kangnam. I've gone there for over a year. Their English services (there are 3) are totally great, and exactly what you stated. Really great!

http://nhm.sarang.org/

There is a good map on the site (which was created by my friend). Just click on "Location" at the top. Remember, the English services are in another building behind the main church. Just follow the map.

It's Evangelical/Presbyterian. Songs are newer and they have a full band with guitars, an electric violin, drums... etc. About 300 attend each service.

Oh, not sure about the Korean side of the services, but I know there are a ton of them in the main building. Sarang is one of the largest churches in Seoul, but I like the English services because they are not too big that you feel lost and can't meet anyone.

Do they still have their service in their cafe? That was a major turn off for me. Went once and wasn't interested in sweating my balls off in an oven aka cafe turned church.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haya wrote:
Are you in Seoul?
Onnuri's great, lots of young people (20 somethings), esl teachers and the like. Fun activities, Biblically solid.
They meet in Seobinggo (in Yongsan, near Ichon), Yangjae (southeast near Kangnam) and Suwon.

http://english.onnuritv.com/web
http://english.onnuritv.com/web/services_sermons/oem_service/oem_service.htm

You can watch their services online.

I would say it is solid. I used to goto the one in Ichon a few years back. I liked it, but it felt wierd seeing so many people come and go. I stopped going when I married.

I tried the one in Yangjae...that is also a hassle to get to, so I stopped going.

Guess I am a backslider myself.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: anyone interested Reply with quote

in meeting together for a Bible study- discussion format. I am thinking about this rather than going to a church. Could do it over a beer (joking).
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer is sacred.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man known as The Man wrote:
Beer is sacred.

It is to Canadians...especially Quebecers...Molson EX is like a chalice or something...
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Anglican congregations in Korea of the open and accepting type? Where can one find an Anglican/Episcopal congregation outside of Seoul?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: