Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Uijeongbu City...Need some insight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetiesmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Moving to Uijeongbu City...Need some insight Reply with quote

I am moving to Uijeongbu city in March. I am not too excited about it since I wanted my public school position to be in Bungdang. Anyways, from what I have read so far the city is BORING. Has anyone lived, or still lives there currently? I would love to know some insight about what there is to do and how long it takes to get Seoul.
misoman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived there for 3 months. It is boring unless you like to go to the same things every weekend. It takes about 50 minutes to get to seoul station from Nogyang. Almost all the interesting stuff is near Uijeongbu station and that's not saying too much! They have the basic stuff like a theatre, semi-open market, and lots of little stuff, but nothing to really fill a weekend.

If ya need any more info PM me!

Miso
asams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second what misoman said. It get's pretty redundant after a while. I was only there for a month and got bored fast. I spent almost every weekend in Seoul. It only cost 1300 KRW each way to get to Seoul, which isn't too bad, but if you don't live near the station plan on spending another 1000 won each way to get there by bus.

BTW, what school are you going to be teaching at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fishead soup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famous for the spam hot dog kimchi strew. Check out Tobong mountain in Northern Seoul. You are also very close to "The Church Jesus Wants"in Northern Seoul
sweetiesmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I am working at Seo Elementary school. It is by the hospital my recruiter tells me. Now, do any of you know how far the hospital is to the subway station?
Ice Tea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Uijeongbu for a year. I actually liked the city, but it is a trip to Seoul. here are some pointers:

1) From the hospital take the 23 bus to the station. Sometimes it's better to get off at the stop before the station because the light takes a long time to change. Get off at the stop "downtown" not "station"
A T-money card (purchased at the station) is a necessity. Your bus fare will be credited towards your subway trip if proceed from the bus directly to the subway.

2) There is a KFC and good theatre (CGV) in a tall building on the west side of the station

3) There is a homeplus and Popeye's chicken in the east side of the city along the river. It's ten minutes (a short bikeride) away from you

4) A large hill or mountain in the south east of the city is an excellent place to get away. There's many sports facilities located along the trails. I went there every weekend.

5) Make an effort to climb the large mountain looming in the north east, you can see north Korea in the distance from the peak

6) Merchants in the shopping arcade sell contraband US army goods.

7) The closest Costco is Songbong (50 min away) Needless to say you'll never go to Costco

Cool Hanging out in Jongno is not too painful a trip, but going all the way to Gangnam can be a marathon.

9) There's an Outback behind Homeplus

10) Near Hyoja Elementary School you can find dry cleaners that specialize in cleaning shoes.

Well that's all my wisdom about Uijeongbu. Good luck!
Yellowperil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also due to start teaching in Uijeongbu in March, and most prosts about the place and the school I will be working for tend to be negative. Would be good to try and get to know some people who are also in the same boat as myself.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowperil wrote:
Im also due to start teaching in Uijeongbu in March, and most prosts about the place and the school I will be working for tend to be negative. Would be good to try and get to know some people who are also in the same boat as myself.

Where will you be working? I hope it's not ECC!
Yellowperil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Yellowperil wrote:

Where will you be working? I hope it's not ECC!

Im afraid it is, is it really that bad? Ive read some pretty bad stuff. But unfortunatly I only found out about this website after signing the contract.
sweetiesmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input and advice. I am really hoping that this will be a good year
sweetiesmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice Tea wrote:
I lived in Uijeongbu for a year. I actually liked the city, but it is a trip to Seoul. here are some pointers:

1) From the hospital take the 23 bus to the station. Sometimes it's better to get off at the stop before the station because the light takes a long time to change. Get off at the stop "downtown" not "station"
A T-money card (purchased at the station) is a necessity. Your bus fare will be credited towards your subway trip if proceed from the bus directly to the subway.

2) There is a KFC and good theatre (CGV) in a tall building on the west side of the station

3) There is a homeplus and Popeye's chicken in the east side of the city along the river. It's ten minutes (a short bikeride) away from you

4) A large hill or mountain in the south east of the city is an excellent place to get away. There's many sports facilities located along the trails. I went there every weekend.

5) Make an effort to climb the large mountain looming in the north east, you can see north Korea in the distance from the peak

7) The closest Costco is Songbong (50 min away) Needless to say you'll never go to Costco

Cool Hanging out in Jongno is not too painful a trip, but going all the way to Gangnam can be a marathon.

10) Near Hyoja Elementary School you can find dry cleaners that specialize in cleaning shoes.

Hey, is this a nice area of the city? What school did you teach at?
Ice Tea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetiesmith wrote:
Ice Tea wrote:

Hey, is this a nice area of the city? What school did you teach at?

Do you mean your area? The city basically has three areas. The downtown, the new area along the river, and another area behind the mountains. The two hospitals I saw were along the river, so I assume that's where you are. That area of the city is recently developed. The streets are clean and straight. There are big sidewalks. I taught at Uijeongbu EWAS, near Homeplus. A nice couple run it, but the hours were horrendous.
phillyb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in uijeongbu right now...got 5 months left here.

i actually like it quite a bit.
although i do end up going to seoul every weekend, its not half bad.
foreign chicks are few and far between if youre looking.
if youre a chick, plenty of foreign dudes haha. (teachers and military)
if i stayed another year i would definitely move to seoul but the bu isnt so bad for your first year.
id be glad to help you out if you have more questions, [email protected]
muffintop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Uijungbu ps Reply with quote

PM if you are going to a ps elementary school there...important..
merkurix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a few cool things if you make the trip northward on the Subway. If you go up a few stops of the Uijeongbu subway station (about seven I believe) and you get off at Bosan station, there are a lot of Songtan-esque places out there that cater to the U.S. military dudes from Camp Casey in Dongducheon. There are tons of bars, clothing shops, restaurants: Ha's Kebab sells some killer doner kebabs, Peruvian food, American diner fare, American-Chinese food, etc. It's worth a look. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: