Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Legally Hammer your Hagwon Boss Into Submission
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevieg4ever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must of been priceless. How is the Philipines btw?

ttompatz wrote:
mountainous wrote:
mountainous wrote:
Hagwon owners do get prosecuted for ripping off employees

So you are speaking of civil prosecution, correct?

This starts a process of administrative tribunal backed by criminal prosecution (i.e., the power of the State)�the most effective implement to deal with a snake.

I have never heard of a hakwon boss getting thrown in jail for refusing to pay salary. In fact, there are many stories about hakwons who fail to pay civil judgments after the Labor Board has ruled in the employee's favor. Nothing happens to these hakwon bosses.

Can anyone cite ONE instance where a hakwon boss was criminally prosecuted for refusing to pay salary? This story is so obviously false...and it is a sticky, lol Laughing

Case:

Art and Song English Kindergarten, Gyeonggi-do, Suwon-si, Jangan-gu, Jowon-dong, spring 2004.
Owner was sentenced to 1 year for violations of the labor act in reference to an Australian teacher who was royally screwed and illegally terminated.

I was personally involved in that one and watched it happen.

hari seldon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by hari seldon on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Lekker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called this number and spoke to the secretary.

The attorney charges 50,000 per hour. How do we know he won't take his sweet time in getting around to doing things leading him to rip you off?
rabies.kills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have a choice: let the lawyer rip you off, and just let two wrongs make a right. Or let your boss rip you off. Personally, I'd let the lawyer rip me off. F*** my boss in his f***ing face.
ohmybuddha67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a bit off topic, but do you know of any Korean teachers who have to put up with the same shit we waygooks do?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohmybuddha67 wrote:
Maybe this is a bit off topic, but do you know of any Korean teachers who have to put up with the same shit we waygooks do?

A better question would be, "Does anyone know of a Korean hakwon teacher who does NOT get ripped off worse than we do?"

They get 1/2 the pay, twice the work and cheated out of their benefits just as/more often than we do.

maingman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: , Reply with quote

after my days off, WITH sick note!!
and running into see my male hakwon boss yesterday- i will attend today
and mention to my co teacher im still with my poorly/ bad throat-
do a s little talking as possible and probably cough a little over my charges
If (and i doubt) my korean buddy moans/talks to boss - they can fire me
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OP for this wonderful post!

Definitely useful, even for scummy public schools that try filthy hogwan tactics.
princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you really trust these labor board people to help foreigners? I have never had to deal with them before, but in Ocotber, my school (ha...if you want to call it a school...it isn't a school), came up with some BS about how payroll did not deduct enough taxes from our pay since March, and they said we have to pay it all back. Some of us as low as 250,000 won, and others as much as 1,200,000 won and up. Two teachers I work with went to this labor board office, and were told that our school is legit in making us pay all that back. I can't believe it. And they won't even let us have a copy of the paper that shows what is being deducted and why it is being deducted. Our boss at the time gave this paper to these two teachers, and the new headquarters lady nearly had a cow when she learned these two teachers were given the paper by the boss. She actually called him and started freaking out in Korean and then in English, saying "they were NOT supposed to have these papers", etc. So, why not? If what they did is legit according to labor board puppets, then why can't we have papers that show where our own money is going....I smell a big big rat.

I want to give these people a call soon to see what will happen in february, if my school gets crappy when they have 5 of us to give final pay, severance and air tickets to. I don't trust them.
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: They're simply being legit Reply with quote

Some of us are in the same boat, and it seems the boat is getting crowded. The tax beaucracy is cracking down and obeying its own laws, meaning more and more people will see more and more deductions being made. I know one guy in my city who's been here four years and still hasn't paid a won in taxes. He's running on borrowed time.

I'm having taxes withheld from my salary and I've not finished my first two years here yet. To get the refund, I'll have to submit the IRS form 6166 to my local tax office. If I don't, I'll be SOL and will have to say goodbye to a good little chunk of change that is rightfully mine.

Everyone coming to Korea should bring with him his 6166 along with his health check results, CBC, transcripts, diploma, et al. I may be the only one in the universe who will tell you this. Apparently recruiters aren't telling people about the 6166. Mine sure as hell didn't.
Ut videam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: i was fired last night, unjustifiably and with no wa Reply with quote

gerald.in.korea wrote:
I am from KangNam Labor Law Firm.
Your post was brought to may attention from some one who read this form on a regular basis. I check with Mr. Jung, you got a wrong number.

my email is simple it is gerald.in.korea AT gmail.com contact me immediately. The consult is free of charge. It lets us determine how best to help you.

Cheers,

Gerald

Has anyone been in contact with Gerald Staruiala from the Kangnam Labor Law Firm recently? I've emailed him twice in the past week at the gerald.in.korea (at) gmail.com address and gotten no response.
Special BK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thing is he's actually away i went to the law firm earlier this month, i spoke to jung bongsoo instead.

His english is more than good enough to help you out.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainous wrote:
Can anyone cite ONE instance where a hakwon boss was criminally prosecuted for refusing to pay salary? This story is so obviously false...and it is a sticky, lol Laughing

The hagwon boss I had sued was previously jailed for not paying the debts on his previous hagwon.
wesharris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Jailed. For . Spanking. Money?
_+_
Wes
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please.

I've been here 8 years and seen every f'ing scam in the book in hakwon hell. Outright theft, blackmail, lies, manipulation and harrassment, double billing, triple billing, triple billing with invisible deductions from paycheques, invisible paycheques, 'get out of apt in one hour', 'we will say you did _____', etc...you all know the stories.

When I left my former hakwon two years ago, my boss (snake) owed me months in wages. I simply threatened to sue and we agreed to make a trade.

He handed over the hakwon-sponsored 2-bedroom apt (key money) in lieu of pay. Fine with me! Proud to call it home now. Offer for a public school job came the next day and I've never looked back.

I'm posting in this thread for a friend, however, who does not have a Dave's account and is one of those 'worst case scenario' jams.

Boss owes him 2 months' pay. Apartment provided by the school. 1 foreign teacher. About 30 students. Obviously in dire straits. Now from personal experience, I know that if he goes in with guns blazing she can play hardball. It's happened to me.

'Oh I'll make up a story' or blah blah blah.

So what, then? She owes him thousands. Why even show up? It's not a Russian logging camp. When you're broke and 2 months behind in pay, the prospect of having to get fired/terminated, get the letter of release and go through the bs of having to leave, return and run the gauntlet of red paper to get another job is surely overwhelming.

So what advice do I give this guy? Contact the number the op suggests? Kiss his money goodbye? Try to negotiate a deal? Threaten? The place obviously pays no taxes and is completely illegal.

God...brings back memories and I HATE seeing people in this position.

If you are seriously considering working for a hakwon, especially with the economy in its current state, think twice.

Any advice for this guy would be appreciated. Send me a pm or reply here. I'm telling to just hang on and hope she can pay him something...but it's looking like a ship that's sailed, burned and sunk.

It's time for damage control imo. Thoughts?

Last edited by Tokki1 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: