Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English teachers are gang rapists TV program.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: English teachers are gang rapists TV program. Reply with quote

From the show "Damage," five-part youtube clips here:

http://mongdori.com/forums/read.php?2,1432

Yeah, it's garbage TV, which has this kind of programming all the time, but that doesn't make the stereotypes less harmful, or less televised.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: English teachers are gang rapists TV program. Reply with quote

Smee wrote:

Yeah, it's garbage TV, which has this kind of programming all the time, but that doesn't make the stereotypes less harmful, or less televised.

Last April or May, I remember flipping through the channels and suddenly discovering that particular episode on that show. It made me extremely angry.
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that guy in the first segment with the wavy hair and red & white striped shirt is a Russian dude that I did a TV commercial with not too long ago. Crap, they're ALL Russians!
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward Observer wrote:
Haha, that guy in the first segment with the wavy hair and red & white striped shirt is a Russian dude that I did a TV commercial with not too long ago. Crap, they're ALL Russians!

I was actually under the impression that they were Uzbekistani, not Russian. Of course, Uzbekistan used to belong to the Soviet Union back in the days of the Cold War.
sportsguy35

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, North American tv would never portray black people or mexicans in this way. Shame on you Korea
nateium

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: English teachers are gang rapists TV program. Reply with quote

Smee wrote:

Whatever. Despite the propaganda, the Korean girls will still go for exotic more fun loving male types who don't work/study twelve hours a day for 2million won and live with their parents.

It's those sexually frustrated pimply students and stressed out office dudes who are the real rapists, not happy go lucky young English teachers living it up in Hongdae.

They create a substantially sized subservient female sex worker underclass by visiting to a room salonsor a massage parlor. The smart girls know which group is a bigger threat and what group of guys to stay away from already.

Last edited by nateium on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
wylies99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: English teachers are gang rapists TV program. Reply with quote

nateium wrote:
Smee wrote:

Whatever. Despite the propaganda, the Korean girls will still go for exotic more fun loving male types who don't work/study twelve hours a day for 2million won and live with their parents.

It's those sexually frustrated pimply students and stressed out office dudes who are the real rapists, not happy go lucky young English teachers living it up in Hongdae.

They create substantially sized subservient female sex worker underclass with every visit to a room salon or a massage parlor. The smart girls know which group is a bigger threat and what group of guys to stay away from already.

Wrong. Korean women see these kinds of TV programs and they make quite an impression on them. You probably don't notice it, but most Korean women, in public situations like subways, will cower and move away from the "foreigners" and sit next to drunken adjoshis almost every time. Rolling Eyes

BTW, what exactly are you trying to say in this sentence?

Quote:
They create substantially sized subservient female sex worker underclass with every visit to a room salon or a massage parlor.

That's a noodle scratcher. Please go easy on the online translator, ok?
Ut videam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportsguy35 wrote:
Yeah, North American tv would never portray black people or mexicans in this way. Shame on you Korea

Um, actually, they wouldn't; if they did, they'd have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton all over them�and perhaps even actual civil rights lawsuits.

Yeah, some people here go overboard with their criticisms of Korea, but this one's justified. Your tu quoque not only doesn't excuse the actions, it's not even accurate.
sportsguy35

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ut videam wrote:
sportsguy35 wrote:

Um, actually, they wouldn't; if they did, they'd have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton all over them�and perhaps even actual civil rights lawsuits.

Yeah, some people here go overboard with their criticisms of Korea, but this one's justified. Your tu quoque not only doesn't excuse the actions, it's not even accurate.

I see your point and I should have clarified more. It is not a big deal in the states when a minority is portrayed like that because it happens all the time on tv. It is a big deal here because foreigners aren't portrayed much on tv and thus this show stands out. There have been more than a few Law and Order episodes that show a minority committing a crime.
Maybe in a few years when more foreigners are on tv, this won't be such an issue.
PeteJB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first half seemed like most Korean dramas.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportsguy35 wrote:
I see your point and I should have clarified more. It is not a big deal in the states when a minority is portrayed like that because it happens all the time on tv. It is a big deal here because foreigners aren't portrayed much on tv and thus this show stands out. There have been more than a few Law and Order episodes that show a minority committing a crime.
Maybe in a few years when more foreigners are on tv, this won't be such an issue.

Oh, it is not like that at all. The Law & Order episodes aren't warning the entire population of the country to be afraid of the minorities nor are they saying the minorities are criminals by nature.

The program in the link above is purely xenophobic and racist.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteJB wrote:
The first half seemed like most Korean dramas.

That is why I started watching it. I was thinking to myself that I have never seen a drama that focused on a romantic relationship between a Korean and Waegookin. Then, when it turned out to be nothing more than race-baiting and fear mongering instead, I got a little upset.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

things like this help me appreciate humor in the KHC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptyzc4BQliY
Smee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year they also had that "Sexy Mong" show where the focus was on foreign English teachers raping Koreans in night clubs. Nevermind that the "English teachers" they used were either Korean or Eastern European.

http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2008/04/sexy-mong-battles-interracial.html

Quote:
Actually, from what I can tell there was only one native English speaker. The other white guy was European and incomprehensible, and the other "American" was a Korean. The line "I only know about kimchi and Korean girls" belonged to him and his marble-mouthed gibberish. He ended up being the serial rapist, and admitted pretending to be a foreigner in order to pick up women, but wasn't "exposed" until the end, after he slapped around a topless Sexy Mong co-star. As for the white guy molesting a passed-out, topless woman in the club, I don't recall if he spoke at all. And of course we were treated to some of the worst bastardized English you'll find on TV.

Quote:
So, yeah, a big *beep* you to the foreign assholes who decided to flush the reputation of white people down the toilet for a few greenbacks. Cool, you got to feel up a Korean woman on TV, I hope it was worth it. In the meantime you helped perpetuate a very ugly, very common stereotype that does very real damage to a lot of us. Your faces are going up here if I get a screen capture because you deserve to be called out. A big *beep* you to the foreigners who continue to go on Korean TV and make complete asses of themselves, our language, and our culture. Not that you give a damn. A big *beep* you to those who make shows like these, and who can't seem to stay away from spicing up your programs with foreign women and foreign languages while slandering them at the same time.

The point of shows like Damage and Sexy Mong is to be trashy and sexy, I get this. You watch those shows and they're all about cheating spouses, or perverts, or sex crimes, or whatever. That's no surprise. But that also doesn't excuse the shows for defaming an entire demographic of foreigners. The stereotype of the foreign sexual predator is one that gets repeated a lot in the media, and regardless of the caliber of the shows, those points aren't any less televised when they show up there.

And, if you're going to do a hit job on native speaking English teachers, why not try actually getting English speakers to play the roles? That they opt for Russians or whomever is also revealing.

If a show "back home" portrayed all Arabs as dangerous terrorists, or all Chinese as degenerate human traffickers, or all Korean women as prostitutes, or whatever, you're right the channels would hear about it. I'll admit people "back home" are too PC and too hypersensitive, but they're right to raise objections to intentionally insulting TV programs. The big difference there, though, is that in the US, or wherever, you have Arab-AMERICANS, or Chinese-AMERICANS, or Korean-AMERICANS to fight the battles and raise awareness. NS English teachers aren't citizens here and in 9 cases out of 10 aren't long-term residents. Hell, if the papers are to believed half aren't even qualified teachers anyway, but are rather "native speaker assistant teachers." Those who aren't teachers, or those who have different visas, aren't going to get involved with lowly teachers' problems, so really besides bitching on blogs or forums, not much will get accomplished.
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most US TV features WHITE criminals. Obviously you guys don't watch much TV. It's gotten to the point that networks are so afraid of being labeled racist that they've swung the other way. Lots of black cops and white crooks.

Of course, watch the show "Cops" and it's a whole 'nother story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: