Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best & Worst Cities? (Busan, Changwon, Seoul)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackbirdword

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks smee!!!
bwbishop65

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Hwaseong City?? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what it is like in Hwaseong? I have a job offer at the Namyang Elementary.

I am looking for a more rural location...either coastal or mountains...

The Job states:

* 22 hours a week (but hours are 9-5:00?)
* 40 kids per class room--is that normal for a elementary pubic school?

I am more concerned about location than money or even working conditions...though the latter will obviously factor in my final decision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thevmister

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Best areas to live in for Busan and Seoul Reply with quote

I am being offered a position in Jeonju in Busan. I want to know what are the best areas of town to live in and what are the worst. Both of Seoul and Busan! Thanks so much!
mscoop1085

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: How are these gu (districts) of Seoul Reply with quote

Seongdong-gu, Mapo-gu, Dongjak-gu,Yeongdeungpo-gu? Are these good areas of Seoul in relative to being downtown and near everything or would I be paying lots of money every weekend for a long taxi ride to get back to one of these districts after a night downtown? Any feedback on these districts in Seoul would be great. I am wanting to be near downtown and I know Gangnam, Jung, and Seodaemun-gu's is where everything is happening for a younger person. Just wanting to know about these other gu's I mentioned at the top of this thread in relation to Gangnam,Jung, and Seodaemun. Thank you
berrieh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have questions on this, too!

I'm trying to find my list of all the good cities to look at jobs for the next public school hiring wave (for Aug/Sept).

Things I Want in a City:
*Foreigners/expats in my age group (mid-twenties) so I could make friends since I'm coming over alone.
*Some nightlife, as I'll want to go out occasionally - likely mostly on the weekends - but I am not likely to go out drinking every night. And also other things 'to do' besides just drinking (a movie theatre nearby would be divine, for instance). I understand that drinking is like a national pasttime over there - and especially for expats - but I really don't drink all THAT much.
*Relatively affordable, convenient restaurants nearby (Korean food is just fine) so that I don't always have to cook.
*Some sites to be seen nearby so I can be a weekend tourist on occasion without always leaving my immediate area.
*Good markets nearby, but also a Western-style market within 30 minutes or so and reasonably accessible.
*Plusses but not a big deal: I would love a good subway system - as I've heard it's even easier than buses - but it's not a MUST. Good shopping (clothes) would be a plus, but I suppose I could make trips for that. Warmer weather or coastal would also be a plus, as I'm a spoiled Floridian beach rat.

Originally, I was dead-set on SMOE/Seoul, but now I'm thinking Busan might be nicer than Seoul anyway (warmer, less pollution, near beaches and mountains, slightly less crowded but still busy) and either would be fine. Crowded doesn't really bother me, but cold does a bit - though I'd endure it and probably grow used to it.

I also heard Incheon, where the airport is, could be nice and mid-sized. Are there any other cities I should seriously consider? (I'm looking at public schools, so can someone tell me whether the following cities are EPIK or GEPIK? I'm confusing this somehow.)
sjane1234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Where to live? Reply with quote

I will be going to South Korea later on this year to teach English and I am wondering which part would best suit me?

* I am looking for a place where it will be easy to meet other expats so that i can settle in straight away.

* I am looking for a place where there is a good nightlife with good parties etc.

* I am also looking for a place where there is not much air pollution since i do suffer from asthma and allergies.

* Also a place where it accessible to travel to other parts of South Korea.

*Also somewhere near a beach.

I was thinking either Seoul but I hear the air is bad there. So I was thinking Incheon because it is near the airport and the sea (Air is better) but does anyone know is there a good nightlife and is it easy to meet people there?

Any advice or advice on any other places would be great.
yaman21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Gimje Reply with quote

Hello. Is anyone familiar with Gimje? I was offered a position at Walnut Jr. School.

Thank you for your inputs.
Chambertin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I started my own thread looking for those in the local area of the school might it be advisable to create a new section to the Korea forums.

We don�t have a newbie area or a meet and greet area as compared to other forum groups.

I understand it means more late nights, days, or mornings or reading dribble for the mods, but just think of how many irrelevant posts you don�t have to sigh at or move in the future.

Suggestion:
Korea local forum
associated by provinces

Lots of problems come up, but maybe a few get solved in the process.
/humble bow
kiaratokorea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the best districts which are just outside of Seoul? Any opinions?
Tycho Brahe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, does anybody have something to say about masan??

I just got offered a contract there - I was looking for changwon ... amongst other places, but I'm not picky.
levy.ej

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: BR English Reply with quote

I know this discussion is old, but I thought it would be good to shed some light on BR English. I worked for BR in Junggye-dong. It was a great experience. You are correct in that the school does mix yoga with teaching, but in most branches of the school it does it in a fun and more relaxed way. You start your lesson with a short exercise and meditation to settle the kids down. We all know that Korean children have no time to expel their extra energy, so it is actually a good philosophy in that respect.
OJT means 'on the job training'. BR Offers a lot of training because their methods seem to change a lot. It can be frustrating how things change, but at the same time if you were teaching the same thing all the time it would get pretty boring. Don't get my wrong, there are problems with every hagwon, and each branch of chain hagwons are different, but from my experience, it was a decent place to work and from there I was able to get a job teaching at a university in my second year.
KateClemens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berrieh! I feel a bit silly replying to your post this way BUT: I think we may have been separated at birth. As in, I am looking for the (ridiculously so) exact things you are. September start, smaller city, going out some nights but not all, want to be with other foreign teachers because going alone etc etc. I'm wondering how your search is going? PM me!
aschmies

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Jeju Reply with quote

What about Jeju!? Pros/cons?
chaiplz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KateClemens wrote:
Berrieh! I feel a bit silly replying to your post this way BUT: I think we may have been separated at birth. As in, I am looking for the (ridiculously so) exact things you are. September start, smaller city, going out some nights but not all, want to be with other foreign teachers because going alone etc etc. I'm wondering how your search is going? PM me!

Ah ha! I just realized your post is a year old (almost to the day) Very Happy I say this because I'm looking for similar things and wondering if you ever found them Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: