Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security deposits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katydid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Security deposits Reply with quote

Is it completely normal to have a security deposit take out of your paycheck for the first few months you work at a school? How much do you pay, and for how long a period of time? What do you think about it?
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have told every employer that if they expect to take a security deposit above, say 60,000 won, I won't work for them.

Yes, I have walked out of an interview based on that premise.

Two others backed off of it.

Depends how desperate you are (or how stupid).
katydid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told about 40 percent of Seoul hagwans take this measure? Hm. I really am not the type to have wild parties or take out my frustrations with work out on my couch.
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But things like utility and phone bills generally don't arrive until after you've left. I'm somewhat surprised that every school doesn't take a deposit.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

600k spread over 3 paychecks, got it all back no problem.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school didn't require it, and as for the utilities bills that may accrue, and sting the school - they know when the teacher is leaving, they should be able to figure out how to get an early reading done, before the last pay is given.

It's not rocket science. I personally would not pay any money as a security "deposit". Bet it's pretty hard to get back.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a while ago that it's actually illegal for employers to do that... yet it doesn't stop them. I'll try and dig up the source.

Edit: Got this from EFL-Law...

efl-law wrote:
Apartment Security Deposit
i) some schools include in their contract that the teacher must pay an 'apartment security deposit' (ASD) of 600,000 Won which is deducted from the initial pay, and is designed to cover any outstanding apartment expenses or damage caused willfully or negligently by the teacher during his stay - some schools have fabricated stories and reasons as to why the' ASD' should not be refunded - thus one should be very wary of signing this type of contract.

So perhaps it's not illegal afterall, as if it was, I'm sure EFL-Law would've said so... just something to be wary of.

I'll keep digging!

Edit 2: Check out this link for further info...
http://www.koreabridge.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2924
sadsac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, have or will agree to it. I pay my bills, they don't stiff me, I won't stiff them.
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some logic behind taking a secutiry deposit.
Much like many landlords backhome will take one when you rent an appartment (first and last months rent in davance).
My school took one the first year I was with them and paid it back at the end of the year.
It made sense to me and I looked at it as money in the bank in the end.
Whats the big deal with them protecting themselves from potential teachers who might dammage the appartments or leave heaps of unpaid bills (Even if as Blue F says its not rocket science to get early readings)?

I can see why it would bother some but in the end it makes sense for the schools to do so.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my director will probably sting me with a 'leaving' deposit, however last year she got stung with huge bills from previous teachers who stopped paying their utlities (a new teacher arrived at his apartment to find that the power was cut off after 2 days after the old 'forgot' to pay the power bill). I think that an upfront security deposit may ring some alarm bells for me that the school has had a runner in the past.

Which suggest one of two things, that the school is dodgy or the school has hired dodgy teachers.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
But things like utility and phone bills generally don't arrive until after you've left. I'm somewhat surprised that every school doesn't take a deposit.

Here is a funny thing about those things.

I have moved from my OWN apartment in Korea, and those bills are paid that day. The utilitiy guys COME to the house, that's right they came and turned off the gas, read the hydro etc and we paid right there.

Don't know why hawgwon's can't do this.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

Here is a funny thing about those things.

I have moved from my OWN apartment in Korea, and those bills are paid that day. The utilitiy guys COME to the house, that's right they came and turned off the gas, read the hydro etc and we paid right there.

Don't know why hawgwon's can't do this.

actually one of my friends was saying that his hagwon owner got the teacher to call up the companies and get a final reading of the bills and they settled it that way.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer is:

a) If it's in the contract, it's legal. That's how it will be interpreted when you go to the labor board/court/whatever. "The employee will shine my shoes daily and wash my car thrice weekly." Bam! You lose.

b) If your employer insists on a deposit, change the contract so that the sum (W600,000 or whatever) is taken out of the LAST paycheck, and then whatever is left over after bills are paid will be remitted.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:

b) If your employer insists on a deposit, change the contract so that the sum (W600,000 or whatever) is taken out of the LAST paycheck, and then whatever is left over after bills are paid will be remitted.

How does this help owners who have teachers take off later say 1/2 way through a contract?

If I was running a hawgwon I wouldnt provide a phone for the teacher and the other utils would be done like when Koreans move, I'd call the companies and have them come down, take a reading and pay em off.

If an employee bolts owing utils, at most you are looking at 100-200k. Phonebills are where the serious money is...don't provide a phone and no problems.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

If an employee bolts owing utils, at most you are looking at 100-200k. Phonebills are where the serious money is...don't provide a phone and no problems.

actually my big bill is in the utility fee for my apartment complex. If a teacher bolts without paying that then school is looking at at least 100k just for that.

I agree about the phone bill though. I got stumped with a 300k phone bill from a pervious teacher which the school claimed was a 'connection' charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: