Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

expired drivers license
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: expired drivers license Reply with quote

if i have an expired australian drivers license, how tough will it be to get an international drivers license?

can i get one?

do i now need to get a korean license?

i have met several foreigners here that own insured cars and drive without having a license at all... they all say they have been pulled over by the police for breath tests but were never asked to produce their license.

anybody have experience here?

being that next week is seollal and the aust embassy will be closed and furthermore it takes a couple of weeks to get a reply from them if they even bother replying at all, i though i would ask here first...
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're up sh*t creek without a paddle until you get a valid licence. I don't know about Australia but Ontario/Canada gives up to a year to renew an expired licence without having to re-take a driver's test. If you don't have a valid licence from your home country you're not going to have a pleasant time getting a Korean one. Either way, I'm pretty sure you need a valid licence to get an international licence.
wylde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda figured that - it is 1 year in march, i might try to explore the grace period. thanks matey
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
You're up sh*t creek without a paddle until you get a valid licence. I don't know about Australia but Ontario/Canada gives up to a year to renew an expired licence without having to re-take a driver's test. If you don't have a valid licence from your home country you're not going to have a pleasant time getting a Korean one. Either way, I'm pretty sure you need a valid licence to get an international licence.

I didn't know that. My Ontario license expired last summer. Chances are I won't go home this year to renew it either.

Wonder if that will make problems when I want to renew my Korean driver's license.

Retaking the test back in Canada shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't put me on any of that probabtion driving crap. I've been driving 15 years, I think I'll be alright.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

I didn't know that. My Ontario license expired last summer. Chances are I won't go home this year to renew it either.

I think the catch is after the licence has expired you have to go in person to a Ontario Transport office rather than mail in the renewal form.

Quote:
Wonder if that will make problems when I want to renew my Korean driver's license.

It shouldn't.

Quote:
Retaking the test back in Canada shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't put me on any of that probabtion driving crap. I've been driving 15 years, I think I'll be alright.

I found that they have all these funky new categories- G!, G2, as well as G. Don't know what happens now, would you have to start over again ? Confused
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

I think the catch is after the licence has expired you have to go in person to a Ontario Transport office rather than mail in the renewal form.

Quote:

It shouldn't.

Quote:

I found that they have all these funky new categories- G!, G2, as well as G. Don't know what happens now, would you have to start over again ? Confused

My plan is I could also bring my Korean license and just hope they will give me an Ontario license without a hassle Razz I am just wondering if I can get an international license in Korea Razz be funny using that back home haha
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
My plan is I could also bring my Korean license and just hope they will give me an Ontario license without a hassle Razz

Smart thinking! That'll work just fine.

Quote:
I am just wondering if I can get an international license in Korea Razz be funny using that back home haha

I got a Korean international driver's licence, but never tried to use it in Canada but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work either, so you're all set!
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in Korea, I believe you have to use a Korean license. International licenses are only for tourists.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sadsac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get online to your home state and get an overseas renewal kit. If your licence has expired and is less than 90 days they will automatically renew. As an Australian, you have to do the complete Korean driving deal. If you were from North America, they just issue you a Korean licence when you show up with the necessary documentation. An international licence, you have to provide evidence of your current licence status. Driving here unlicenced, in three years and plenty of checks, I have never been asked to show my licence. That risk is yours to take.
fidel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Kiwi I had to get a fax from the NZ transport authority stating that I had a license. They wouldn't just accept our licenses at face value. Took it along to the licensing place in Ansan, took an eye test and the grasp your hands together and crouch test and got issued with a korean license valid until 2012. This was in 2002 and I believe they may have changed the rules since then.

Also you can't get an international licence without first getting a korean one.

Benn pulled over a few times (Bastards turn a blind eye to major infractions like driving at night without lights and speeding through red lights but pull me over late at night for doing an illegal U-Turn) had to show them my licence.
wylde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadsac wrote:
Get online to your home state and get an overseas renewal kit. If your licence has expired and is less than 90 days they will automatically renew. As an Australian, you have to do the complete Korean driving deal.

it's more like 9 months, march this year will be 1 year.. so, that being the case, it is not an automatic renewal. it is a ____________. (?)

do you know what the complete driving deal is? is it english or korea? does it involve a driving test?
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylde wrote:
sadsac wrote:
Get online to your home state and get an overseas renewal kit. If your licence has expired and is less than 90 days they will automatically renew. As an Australian, you have to do the complete Korean driving deal.

it's more like 9 months, march this year will be 1 year.. so, that being the case, it is not an automatic renewal. it is a ____________. (?)

do you know what the complete driving deal is? is it english or korea? does it involve a driving test?

My Canadian license had expired when I got my car here, so I had to go through the whole process, just as a Korean would do. Basically, I had to take a written test (in English), however, I was unable to track down any English "study material". You only need to get 60% to pass, and that's exactly what I did.

After that, I had to take a driving test at the Korean DMV. They have a course mapped out, and the cars are "wired" to the course. Thus, if you cross the center line, you automatically lose 5 pts., or if you're not close enough to the curb when you parallel park, again, you automatically lose points. This was the toughest thing for me (I had to take the test twice, the second time was a few days later). You need to get 80/100 to pass this test, and most of the deductions are 5 or 10 points. Basically, a very short, slow, technical course.

Finally, after that test was passed, I had to do a short road test. It was less than 1 km, and it was a piece of cake. Basically, I think the instructor was simply checking to see if you had any idea how to handle a car. The test was on an old back road, no traffic, and maybe one intersection. This was by far the easiest part of the test.

After that, I recieved a full license, good for something like 8 years (I think). My Canadian license is still expired, and that's a mess I'm not looking forward to sorting out when I go back home.

Hope that helps.

Confused Canadian
wylde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks pal.. the driving part should be no problem but the written part...

when it is dark - turn your lights off
red lights mean - go
when changing lanes - never indicate
when going around a slim bend in the road - always change lanes without indicating
when there are cars parked on the side of the road - always try to overtake by driving in the lane where the parked cards are
when queuing up to turn left or right - queue up side by side rather than front to back
everytime you use the brakes - push the hazzard light button also
everything bad you do on the road will be forgiven - when you push the hazzard light button
everytime you stop at traffic lights - take the car out of gear and apply the handbrake
if there is a car blocking your passage on a narrow street - hold your hand on the horn until they come and move it (even if it takes an hour)
if there is a car 100 meters in front of you that looks like at some point in the future he could be an obstacle - honk your horn
Whenever you see a coffee girl - giveway, cuz they have an important job to do.
if you need to merge with some traffic - don't bother looking, someone will give way.

no i understand completely
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylde wrote:
thanks pal.. the driving part should be no problem but the written part...

when it is dark - turn your lights off
red lights mean - go
when changing lanes - never indicate
when going around a slim bend in the road - always change lanes without indicating
when there are cars parked on the side of the road - always try to overtake by driving in the lane where the parked cards are
when queuing up to turn left or right - queue up side by side rather than front to back
everytime you use the brakes - push the hazzard light button also
everything bad you do on the road will be forgiven - when you push the hazzard light button
everytime you stop at traffic lights - take the car out of gear and apply the handbrake
if there is a car blocking your passage on a narrow street - hold your hand on the horn until they come and move it (even if it takes an hour)
if there is a car 100 meters in front of you that looks like at some point in the future he could be an obstacle - honk your horn
Whenever you see a coffee girl - giveway, cuz they have an important job to do.
if you need to merge with some traffic - don't bother looking, someone will give way.

no i understand completely

This is why I dont understand how so many Koreans pass their test. I am wondering if they just drive without licenses. That would make WAY more sense.
eaglenovan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: How do koreans ever pass a d/l test? Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by eaglenovan on Wed May 16, 2007 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: