Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I try so hard why am I still boring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: If I try so hard why am I still boring Reply with quote

How can I teach so as not to be boring to Korean businessmen

Last edited by Keepongoing on Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:40 am; edited 2 times in total
The Den

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the students kids? You did not sign on to be a comedian or entertainer. I realize that teaching requires you to keep your students somewhat focused and that may include being entertaining at times but it should not be the central focus. Anyway I know this is not really helpful but I would tell the director to come in and observe some of your classes for himself. When he does so, present him with a detailed lesson plan including objectives and evaluation. Your lesson should have an intro and conclusion. Afterward if your director still complains that you are boring tell him that you are not a F**in clown. Smile
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling you that students are complaining is a standard hogwon director tactic. They think the lie keeps you on your toes.

Then again, you could be boring, but you probably aren't.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your director to observe your class and offer suggestions.
Ask your director to teach one of your classes and observe him/her.
Observe one of the "fun" teachers' classes.

Good luck.
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I am teaching adult businesspersons and university students
canukteacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans love to criticize. Grow a thick skin, and challenge him. Tell him to come in and observe your classes. Tell him you want to know EXACTLY what the students are saying. Invite him to a class, and tell him you want to discuss what he tells you directly with the students. He will not like this direct approach, and good chance it will stop him in his tracks.

Secondly, ask your students outright what they like and don't like. Try to incorporate some of the things they want into your lessons. The higher the level the easier this is to do.

From personal experience I have found that business people generally want discussion (if there level is high enough). I often use a book called Express Yourself 1..............it's all dicussion topics with questions.....works really well.

Good luck!..................and don't let him get you down!

CT
princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is like the previous poster's advice. Develop a very thick skin in Korea. I have taught in Korea for two years and at every school I have gotten complaints. Whether they are real or not,just do your best. You would have to be extremely awful to get canned. I have been at a new school for only two weeks and I have already been told that 2 or 3 kids' parents called and complianed that I am not active enough,that I sit down too much. Well,I observed other teachers at my school and they sat down while teaching for most of the class. I used to get upset and cry,but Friday I just blew it off,said I am a good teacher and that was it. If they see it bugs you,they will forever pick on you. Stand up for yourself and don't take their crap. They need you more than you need them. Especially my school. They only have four teachers besides me. One guy has gotten MANy complaints in seven months and he is still there. Never let them pick on you. Get hateful right back!!!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember some lessons that you bring to one class and it goes all hour easily.. same lesson to another class and 'teacher its boring' within five minutes? hmm.. is it your fault? some classes are so boring.. and there is nothing you can do to make it exciting...

mmmm.. 'teacher its boring' phenomenem.. sometimes some students just don't want to learn either.. they just want to sit and play games.. or sometimes just sit.. how do you make them enjoy a lesson if they don't want to enjoy it?

So in conclusion.. students saying you are boring.. ask your director which class they are in. Tell your director.. 'oh that class!' yeah, they are pretty boring themselves. Give him your opinon of that class. Tell why its boring.. most likely its not entirely on you.. its a two-way street as well..

anyhow, that doesn't always go over so well with the director.. but.. not much you can really do..

-------------

I teach alot of adults. Once I had this PERFECT class! It was conversational advanced adults. I'd bring in a few topics, but people would just go off on stuff... really interesting stuff! I mean I was having a great time in there!

Anyhow, loved that class.. but ONE GIRL! Two days in a row she stopped me after class.. teacher, teacher!! 'yes' i said.. 'can we have more worksheets to do? i have advanced classes for a long time, and i want worksheets to do in class.'

Basically, I ignored her requests. I told her I thought conversational english students want to have conversation and not do worksheets. Anyhow, she brought it up again. Grrrrrr.... but she was not happy with me!

Anyhow, I could go on and on.. but the main point is SOME STUDENTS will always always NOT like your class!! I mean, I know which classes are GOOD and which ones are BAD! Even really bad classes that are obviously bad, some students in there thinks you are teaching great.. then you have this awesome kick-ass great class.. and there are always some students who don't like the way you are teaching the class..
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Te Reply with quote

My visa expires soon

Last edited by Keepongoing on Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a graduate degree in education and have lived in Asia over 10 years.

You can certainly do better than hogwons, I think. You're beyond that nonsense.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Termination Reply with quote

MASH4077 wrote:
My visa expires soon and I think the school does not plan on offering me another contract.

I definetely wouldn't worry about this. There are TONS of other contracts and jobs in Korea. You will probably find a better one step up anyhow.

Generally, I've had pretty good experiences with co-workers.. but.. hmm.. sometimes..

Well, my last school.. there was some weird politics.. I met my director and a few very long-standing employee teachers there.. there was a core of about 3 of them.. and they were the 'head' guys more or less.. and when i first met them and the people at the school.. well these 3 just said horrible horrible things about everyone else.. even about each other! (maybe 9-10 foreigners there total).. man.. I knew I wasn't going to be hanging with them at all.. I hate saying bad stuff about my co-teachers and such.. plus i knew if they knew anything about me.. they'd start bad-mouthing me just like they bad-mouth each other..

Anyhow.. to move the story along.. after about 4 months being there.. i heard one of the 'group of 3' saying bad stuff about me too..

Well, anyhow.. in conclusion.. *beep* people who say bad things about you.. why would you even want to work with them anyhow? I certainly would NOT!.. I am so glad not to be working at that school.. sheesh.. besides.. tons of jobs in Korea.. get another one.. i'm sure it'll be a step up..
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Termination Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

I definetely wouldn't worry about this. There are TONS of other contracts and jobs in Korea. You will probably find a better one step up anyhow.

You missed the next part where he said he was in his early 50s. That makes it harder to line up a job. On top of that, if a school does think about hiring him they may check out his experience at the previous school. If they hear he was a boring teacher in their opinion, his options for employment are heavily limited.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Termination Reply with quote

Captain Obvious 2.0 wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

You missed the next part where he said he was in his early 50s. That makes it harder to line up a job. On top of that, if a school does think about hiring him they may check out his experience at the previous school. If they hear he was a boring teacher in their opinion, his options for employment are heavily limited.

early 50s isn't that big of a deal? particularly with 10 years of experience.. tons of people come here of all ages.. and never taught before.. they all get jobs.. every single one of them.. i've never met anyone come to korea and completely unable to find a job.

also, as far as checking his experience at his old school.. they won't.. and if they do.. and he completed a year.. they will never say 'don't hire him he's boring'.. never! they will probably say nothing but good things knowing he worked hard for a year.

Many many people don't complete their contracts or even get fired for really legit reasons.. but then one week later they have a better job elsewhere because of it.. even though they get fired for really legit reasons..
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the kids think your boring, well that is the best indicator that your doing your job correctly!
Hehe I suppose I was kinda boring, they had their routine and they stuck to it. Sure change things but as the 2nd post said, your not a kids entertainer. Look around for a real job, directors are poop heads anyhow. Most wouldn't last a week as a teacher. Smile
marsha marsha marsha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

a. they say you are boring cause you aren't young and hip and like to talk about the boring things they enjoy...drinking, sex, dancing, etc...
b. you do like that but the school thinks you are too old and want you out. Seems you are at a ELS or Pagoda type school. They are known for liking teachers that look good but don't necessarily teach well.
Live and learn and aim higher on the next job. Good luck.

By the way, we are not teachers, we are edutainers. Once I got that figured out, my classes perked up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: