Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanting New Game ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Wanting New Game ideas Reply with quote

Hi there
I'd just like anyone out there to send me some suggestions for games i can do for my classes for kids at 8-10. we have pictionary, a whispers game, a bingo game, simple simon. some new ideas would be cool though. thanks a lot
phil
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: games Reply with quote

Check out the idea cookbook section of Dave's site. It has a lot of great game ideas.

Also, you should check out this page (and look for games) for some other ideas:
http://www.esltalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=9275a4b25a9fee3b07d4053414629171&forumid=248
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a template for crosswords so that I can custom-make crossword puzzles. Got the idea from something off of Dave's Idea Cookbook that mentioned saying crossword clues to help listening comprehension.

That's another idea...
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Puzzlemaker site Reply with quote

The discovery school site has a lot of great resources. You can make your own puzzle there (like zyzyfer just created a template for). they have wordsearch, criss-corss, etc. They also have a worksheet generator section and a clip-art section.

Check it out here:
http://puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com/
thinker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.enchantedlearning.com has some neat fill in and picture stuff

have you tried a word chain game?like cat-tiger-rhino etc, or with place names or peoples names, just using the last letter of the previous word, a lot of my kids liked that, even the younger ones~playing the same games can be tiresome, there's also one lions and jeep> > >you make a grid or draw an island on the board (i used an overhead image) then with little cut outs of a jeep, four lions and four people place them all over the island and the jeep in the middle, divide the class up into teams (if there's a few of them)then ask questions or what have you, if they answer correctly they move closer to the jeep and escape, if wrong a lion moves closer to them~
Very Happy
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following sites may help you.

http://www.eslpartyland.com/
http://iteslj.org/
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Board games and template Reply with quote

There are also already made board games and a blank template on this site:
http://bogglesworld.com/esl_games.htm
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own scrabble on colored paper squares. A real timewaster and kids up to 10 still like it for 20 minutes- especially in girl/boy teams..
"Change chairs if" is a big favorite. Seat all the kids in a circle or line of chairs, except for one chair short. The one kid standing has to make a sentence like "change chairs if you're wearing white socks/ live in an appartment (or whatever). Everyone who does has to move to a different chair . Nobody wants to be left standing and have to make up the next sentence.
Memory games with categories are good. First kid: "Airplane". next kid: "Airplane, car". Next kid: "airplane, car, umm, train" and so on. Anyone taking too long or repeating a word is out. Winner gets 500 won.
Just think of games you used to play as a kid and adapt them to the classroom, and maximise the Language content.
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite is really simple too. You have a bunch of flash cards, like a hundred or more (example: Let's Go cards), and you play "hint game." Example: "It's an animal that likes bananas." And the students will listen because they want to guess the answer. Give the card to the one who guesses the answer first. If the students are capable they can also make hints for the others to guess. Almost everybody likes this activity and it does improve listening (and perhaps speaking) skills. The only students who did not relate to it were too young or just too weak to understand the hints. Of course you can play "pictionary" with these cards too. Or you could try slowly spelling the word as the hint. And for kids in particular, if the group is not too big, you can put cards all over the table or floor (if your classroom is suitable of course), and just say them one at a time, and the kids will go mad trying to be the first to grab the card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: