Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEXICAN TACO STAND (In seoul) Everything under $3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxxx_power makes a good point!

One step further, even having lived in San Francisco and San Diego with MUCH access to the real deal Mexican food at many many opportunities, as well as many other fast-food Mexican fast food restaurants.. all of which I like as well.

But anyhow, Taco Bell is just yet another fast-food option.. and I have to admit I can't resist it. Of course the real deal is always better.. but Taco Bell has its own taste and 'food culture' to it.. which I'd take any day rather than yet another serving of BiBimBop.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taco bell in china? Yet I have never seen one anywhere outside North America. China of all places, strange.

Oh well, I can make my own psuedo burritos here in Yemen. Got the beans, sour cream, salsa. The flat bread is a little like flour tortillas. That and the grilled lamb, chicken, or goat (no pork here of course) and I'm golden.

but i feel for y'all in Korea. never went to the taco dude, but have a feeling it would just make me want quality mexican food even more.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico is God's gift to man. I plan on laying on a nice Mazatlan beach for about 3 months before I decide to come home.

Some nice senorita can massage me day and night while I surf, buy fake Oakleys, and smoke the serious ganja.

Brush up on my espaniol as well. *beep* French, spanish is where it's at.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have a feeling it would just make me want quality mexican food even more.

This has been my experience with any Mexican I have ever eaten on this side of the Pacific. Even the best I've found is yet so far from the real deal as to make the longing that much more intense.

The search continues ...
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer they should flap open the front and have some seats at an outdoor counter serving cheap beer-like rheingold in the can
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxxx_power wrote:
Mexico is God's gift to man. I plan on laying on a nice Mazatlan beach for about 3 months before I decide to come home.

DAMN I'm envious!! I'll be finishing my contract in 10 weeks and I'm opting for further schooling.

I have a long list of places I'd love to just hangout for several months without a care in the world.

Also, agree that Spanish is THE language. Love that language as well.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxxx Power queried:

Quote:
Are you speaking from experience?

Not personally, but that's what people tell me.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
This has been my experience with any Mexican I have ever eaten on this side of the Pacific. Even the best I've found is yet so far from the real deal as to make the longing that much more intense.

The search continues ...

Back in the days of Beaver's Wings a few of my customers were of Hispanic extraction (parents from Mexico) or from Arizona and likewise near the border areas. They gave me thumbs up on my tacos and nachos.
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....dinner at the Beaver's tomorrow night? Are you saying we can make a reservation with you?

justagirl
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
So....dinner at the Beaver's tomorrow night? Are you saying we can make a reservation with you?

justagirl

Well, I'd like to have you over to my place for dinner, but I'm afraid that you won't try to take advantage of me.
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taco Bell started doing some innovative stuff in the late '90s with their chalupas and gorditas. The Santa Fe chalupa was great, with fresh corn, black beans and real cilantro.

Now they've gotten rid of the good tasting chalupa varieties (including the beloved Santa Fe), and they've gotten on this kick of stuffing rice into everything. I like rice, but not in my burrito. All their new products since 2001 have been a variation of stuffing rice into a burrito or bowl. The big thing they're plugging now is a Rice, Bean, and Cheese Burrito.

Bring back Santa Fe Chalupas!

Anyway, I used to cook in a Mexican restaurant, so I know how to make Mex food on my own. I'm moving to Ansan in two weeks, and I'm bringing my spices. Hopefully I can work up an adaptation or two after a while there.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to that new Taco Rest. in Itaewon tonight. I thought that it was pretty good. Not the best, but definitely a refreshing change. I did think there was too much rice in the Burrito, but it was tasty all the same. I'll go back there again sometime soon.

Cheers!

Last edited by Harpeau on Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I went to Pancho's in Itaewon we all really enjoyed the food. The new place is nicer inside and the prices are the same. Still not cheap, but not bad. Chili Chili Taco is good too. Different style.
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That new place is popular.
We were there a few weekends ago and it was standing room only.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up with mexican food. Dad was a mexican 1st generation born in U.S.

I don't mind Taco Bell...I just get some tortillas and beans and cheese. yummmmmy.

No it's not really mexican but refried beans are pretty hard to screw up. I do miss realllllll tortillas made by my grandma...(harina) not corn. Soft, little brown spots from the stove....quick quesidilla...cheese, onions, chili sauce....lay on gas fire turn over till done......WAAAAAH! I miss my grandma!

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: