Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Army Intelligence School
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bolded a few points that you made. Given all that, why would you work there?

Because of a couple of sentences you skipped:

"They are a teacher's dream to work with. Polite, dedicated, intelligent, full of humor and curiosity. Ten students per class."

"I'm wrestling with taking the job that was offered or staying around in hopes that things will settle down."

This place could be an ideal job. Not many places are. I don't mind the lousy schedule as much as others do because 3 days a week I have an extra class the school arranged for me with a special student. It fits nicely in the lousy schedule and pays extra money. The opportunity to work with this special student makes up for a lot of other short-comings at the school. The opportunity to work with the regular students makes up for a lot of shortcomings in the school. I try to keep in mind that not all annoyances are grievances.

The other job offer is also not a perfect place. I'm working on sorting out my feelings about what I want, what I'm getting now and what I might get or not get at the new place. Push-pull. Push-pull. (Watching me making a decision is not a pretty sight.)
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost took one of them jobs teaching the army, but didn't want it unless it was direct employment with the ROK government; not a private business such a hagwon. I not only wanted the security of a government job, but also decent pay, housing, and work conditions and grew too suspicious the job would pan out with me being a slave intimidated by a business man.
zoobrothertom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ya-Ta Boy

Please PM me ASAP. I joined up to ask you a question but discovered I have to post 25 times to send a PM.

I have a few questions about where you work that shouldn't be subjected to the BS above.

Regards,
Thomas
zoobrothertom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Ya-ta Boy - Pm or email me Reply with quote

Hey Ya-ta Boy,

I have a few questions about the school without listening to the BS above. Please PM me or [email protected].

Thomas (SSG-R)
Geckoman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thread about the school:

"Korea Army Intel School..."
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=124810&highlight=army+language

Cool
Emark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2012, the campus located in Seongnam was closed. A new facility has been opened south of Icheon; 70+minute bus ride south of Seoul.
The new facility provides many foreign languages to all divisions of the Korean military; army, sp. forces, airforce, navy…

The new name of the school is called KDLI. Korea Defence Language Institute. At this post, most of the ESL teachers there have been there less than a year. There are 8+ foreigners employed as language instructors (Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, French, German, Spanish) and 12 foreigners teaching English.

KDLI also teaches foreign military personal Korean language too.

As for the reputation and stories … It's nice to know the roots of the current school. I always thought KDLI existed for years. No, the name KDLI has existed for a few months while the school has existed for many years.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emark wrote:
In 2012, the campus located in Seongnam was closed. A new facility has been opened south of Icheon; 70+minute bus ride south of Seoul.
The new facility provides many foreign languages to all divisions of the Korean military; army, sp. forces, airforce, navy…

The new name of the school is called KDLI. Korea Defence Language Institute. At this post, most of the ESL teachers there have been there less than a year. There are 8+ foreigners employed as language instructors (Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Arabic, French, German, Spanish) and 12 foreigners teaching English.

KDLI also teaches foreign military personal Korean language too.

As for the reputation and stories … It's nice to know the roots of the current school. I always thought KDLI existed for years. No, the name KDLI has existed for a few months while the school has existed for many years.

Does Ya-ya boy still work there?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does Ya-ya boy still work there?

Who?
Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do classes start early in the morning?
If so, then having to hang around work to do a full day would put off some people.
Emark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooks wrote:
Do classes start early in the morning?
If so, then having to hang around work to do a full day would put off some people.

My typical day looks like this:
Get on the bus from my apartment at 6:50am.
Arrive at the campus between 8:05-8:15.
Prep until my first class at 10:20.
Teach until 12:00.
Lunch from noon to 1:10
Class from 1:10 - 3:00.
Catch the 3:20 but back to the apartment.
Arrive at home at 4:45 or so.
Prep a couple hours at home because there aren't any personal PCs allowed on campus and there is no internet. … or usb sticks allowed for data transfer. But that's another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: