Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave? Reply with quote

I am leaving my school in a few weeks. They are restructuring, and my E-2 is up then, therefore they want to make a new contract that is much less interesting to me. They are creating a totally new program, and the hours basically suck because they have no breaks, and you've got to feed the kids lunch. No thanks.

Anyway, how long do you have as a "grace period" to stay in Korea (and find another job) after your E-2 expires?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legall you have 24 hours to depart the country when your visa expires. This is only relevant if your visa expires entirely based on the expiration date ... if you've used your one full year you have only 24 hours ....

But you can file for an extension to the visa to allow up to 30 days I believe, or maybe 90. BUT, YOU MUST do it prior to the expiration ... at least 30 days in advance is enough
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave? Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
and you've got to feed the kids lunch.

derrek feeding the kids is fun.
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is a little cloudy...someone needs to check with immigration on it. I've hear two weeks grace, but I wouldn't want to risk it based on a rumor.
Alex Buffa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my E-2 cancelled, I was given 15 days.

It seems very unrealistic to pack up and be out after finishing 1 year of employment. Call to check what your local office prefers, but I stand on 15 days.

Congrats on not taking the 2nd contract after you realized it was not a good one. Most people just sign because they don't want the hassle of searching and moving all around.

Feeding kids is not a teachers job, it's that of a babysitter. From what I read, you are smart to move onto better things.

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more than been verified with immigration, believe me.

When a visa expires based entirely on its normal life expiration you have 24 hours. The two weeks exists when you visa in cancelled early, suspended, etc. Otherwise, let's make a visa expire in 54 weeks, or more or .....

You have 24 hours ... period

BUT, it's not even an issue if you simply extend your visa prior to expiration

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mis-spoke, let's clarify the issue.

LEGALLY and thus TECHNICALLY your visa expires on or about the same day as your CONTRACT expiration. Because the dates are rarely the same ....

Thus if your visa was obtained prior to your start date, such as in my case, you must legally get a visa extension prior to your contract end date.

If it was obtained after your start date, like many people, then your visa expires on the final day of your contract and then you have 24 hours to leave the country.

Either way, if your visa has run it's course based on a fully worked contract period, you have 24 hours.

You can indeed get a visa extension allowing you to remain in the country for 30 days.

This is also covered on EFL-Law I believe.

Either way, I have a headache, I'm outta here
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelyontherok wrote:
I mis-spoke, let's clarify the issue.

LEGALLY and thus TECHNICALLY your visa expires on or about the same day as your CONTRACT expiration. Because the dates are rarely the same ....

Thus if your visa was obtained prior to your start date, such as in my case, you must legally get a visa extension prior to your contract end date.

Isn't your visa good for 365 days after you enter the country, not after it was issued?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't

Because .........

1 - The expiration date is cleary noted on the visa ....

2 - umm is there a 2 ?

3 - Because not everyone comes to Korea with there E-2 or working visa and obtain the visa after initial entry and your departure date is based on the expiration of your valid visa. Any time you get a new visa your stay length is set to the new visa

So no, it's not Smile
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: How long after E-2 expires before you have to leave? Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:

Anyway, how long do you have as a "grace period" to stay in Korea (and find another job) after your E-2 expires?

You have 14 days to leave the country after the expiry date of your E2 visa, regardless of early cancellation or natural expiration of visa. That information came from the mouth of a Korean Immigration officer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as with many Korean immigration procedures, it can be interpretted and applied differently .....

THE LAW says you have 24 hours. I specifically discussed the law ... hence indicating so by LEGALLY, LAW, etc .... The law can be read on the internet, the immigation web site, EFL-Law web site and a copy obtained via immigration .... I've done it, have it, and know people who deal with such things through the Embassy. I don't take much stock in what an immigration officer tells you, regarding anything; since you can and will get different answers to most anything you ask those people.
bellum99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: I was fined at the airport Reply with quote

I was fined at the airport and it was 2 days after my visa. Someone on this board told me I had two weeks and I trusted them. Don't listen and don't be lazy...just get an extension if you need it. The immigration people at the airport were really not nice. You leave the same day as the visa is over (about 24 hours after).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all -- I'll likely just get an extension.

My school is offering me another deal with one of their branches. I said, "no" at first, and now told them I am rethinking. I'll work about the same hours, however I must travel 50+ minutes from my home in Itaewon to get there. Not thrilled, but I am of course having trouble finding another job that has 9:30 to 4:30 hours. Not sure if I have to feed the kids there or not -- will learn more tomorrow.

Am quickly trying to line up some more information about jobs teaching adults, which I enjoy a great deal more these days.

If anyone has any tips or info, feel free to PM.

Thanks.
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
This issue is a little cloudy...someone needs to check with immigration on it. I've hear two weeks grace, but I wouldn't want to risk it based on a rumor.

Again, I stand by what I wrote.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to stand by it, however you have no facts. Being "told" something means nothing. Talk to and request a copy of the law, the immigration policy, and a copy of E Class Visa Departure procedures for Immigration employees at the airport. They all clearly state the LAW. Ask EFL-Law, as any immigration attorney ... and have them show you the documents. Standing by something just because means little unless you can back it up and documents are the only way.

That's alll .... so no offense, but you're giving incorrect information. If you want the documents, can't get them on your own ..... I'd be happy to provide you my originals ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: