Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeosu Public School, need some insider info or just info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Yeosu Public School, need some insider info or just info Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been stalking around doing research for teaching in Korea and have read all the stickies. Great information Very Happy

My name is Bob, I'm a 46 year old American, elementary education degree, and pretty excited to teach again. My career was in social work (I do have some Christian school and public school, substitute, experience).
After my research, I have come to some decisions that I would like to "bounce" off you. Last week, I applied for 7 positions in public schools in Korea. The one I thought was the best for me was Yeosu Public School.
the climate is nice, it is a smaller city, it is beautiful, and the pay and benefits were pretty comparable (2.0-2.6M won) to the other offers from schools and recruiters have sent.

My questions are.... Yeosu is a city of 250,000 and not as bustling as other urban areas. Is this an area where I will be able to have access to western goods (Sams' Club, Costco).
Does anyone work in Yeosu?
I would like to learn Korean with Rosetta Stone, is this software available in Korea?
And, finally, any words of wisdom for a first time job seeker?

All your help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Bob
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to make certain that you're only at one school. In smaller places they often give you a few part-time gigs in addition to your regular school, sometimes teaching a different age group from what you prefer.
Bob M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, great advice
Smee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more partial to Suncheon myself, having lived here for two years, but Yeosu is the next town over. Yeosu is pretty big, area wise, but has a relatively small population as you said. There are two Lotte Marts and an E-Mart, which have a decent selection of everything. There are two Home Pluses and an E-Mart in Suncheon if you're after anything else.

Take a look at the Yeosu facebook group (Yeosu Waygooks, or something like that) for more information about what's there. Yes, I don't trust people who call themselves "waygooks," but whatever.

I don't know about Rosetta Stone. There aren't really options for Korean language learning here, so that's one drawback. There are free classes at a community center from time to time, though they're awful. A foreigner in Gwangyang (another nearby city) is organizing Korean classes, and will be making them available for a fee, so iI can pass along information when I get it.

First-time job seeker? Gosh, I don't know what advice to give. It all sounds so overwhelming and new anyway, it'd be hard to have it sink in. Make sure you read up on teaching here, of what's expected of you, of how native speakers are used in the classroom. If you're confident and comfortable on the teaching end, and if you've approach the job and the country with a healthy attitude and an open mind everything else will take care of itself, mostly.
Kurtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never lived in Yeosu, but it's the nicest city I've been to in Korea, along with Jinju. It's a fairly remote place by Korean standards, but if you don't want the fast life, it would be a nice place to go to for a year.

First time job seeker.....expect the worst and you might be pleasantly surprised.
kiwiduncan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurtz wrote:
Never lived in Yeosu, but it's the nicest city I've been to in Korea, along with Jinju. It's a fairly remote place by Korean standards, but if you don't want the fast life, it would be a nice place to go to for a year.

First time job seeker.....expect the worst and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I second Kurtz's observation. Yeosu has some quite pleasant beaches, hikes and countryside, and some very nice people too.

Also Gwangju's about about 90 minutes away by bus and you can meet a good range of very interesting people through the Gwangju International Centre.
Bob M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smee: I checked out the Yeosu Waygooks on Facebook. It seems to have some local ESL teachers doing their thing. Not really active though.

I have read all the stickies and have handled some pretty rough customers in my day Cool however, America is a whole different kind of animal.

I do like expect the worse and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised Smile

My interview was today on the phone, it went well. The google images of Yeosu are beyond beautiful, I'm a little concerned about having a community of teachers and english speakers in the area. The school said there is a community, but...... it's hard to verify, ya know
pentheus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Yeosu Reply with quote

Hey Bob,
There's about 125 foreign teachers in Yeosu. There's a pretty active foreigner scene and everyone kinda knows everyone, at least to see on account of the few foreign faces about. There's always a few mid week meetings in the pub and there's an active soccer club too. Everyone meets up and heads out at the weekends, always a crowd of maybe 15 or so.
There's a few places you can get western goods, like EMart and Lotte Mart but just the essentials really, nothing too great. Yeosu is also close to Suncheon and Gwanju which are much bigger cities and should have all western things you might need.
The city is nice and there's some good beaches not too far out of the city. At times it can get a bit boring as there are a limited number of things to do but the city is beautiful, the people are generally extremely friendly and once you get over the initial culture shock I think you'd really enjoy yourself in Yeosu. Good luck.
Bob M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info!! Thanks. However, I had my phone interview and haven't heard back from YMOE Sad It sounds perfect for me. I'm 46 and think that the age thing might be coming into play. I'm in good shape, play basketball regularly, and have a good resume.

Time will tell
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate reviving old threads, but couldn't be bothered to start one myself. What's it like working public school in Yeosu nowadays? Do you go to multiple schools or one school only? Lots of foriegners? Age discrimination or any other types of discrimination or problems? How are the Koreans receptive to you? Visited once and liked the place. Live much farther north in the country. Wondering about a change of scenery in the future. Just curious about the vibe. I'd prefer a mixed age group foriegner community. Visited a couple of rural areas recently filled with only really young foriegners. Nothing against them, they seemed nice. But, as a 30 something, I'd like to meet or work in a place with mixed group of people.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google mostly bring up really outdated information such as these kinds of ads.

http://www.totalesl.com/job_detail.php?postingtype=job&id=41827
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people do multiple schools. Maybe most, or about half. Rarely multiple age groups though. Most are in their twenties, there are relatively few teachers older than 30. The bus to Seoul takes 4 hours
wylies99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kojects.com/2012/12/05/ktx-service-to-jinju-open/

New KTX Services to Jinju Station Cut Travel Time in Half
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
Lots of people do multiple schools. Maybe most, or about half. Rarely multiple age groups though. Most are in their twenties, there are relatively few teachers older than 30. The bus to Seoul takes 4 hours

How long to Busan from there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: