Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online TEFL course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradshaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Online TEFL course Reply with quote

Hello,

I realize this topic has been covered a million times on here, as I have browsed through threads on online TEFL courses before - yet nothing is coming up under a search for these threads on google or through Dave's ESL Cafe search browser. Anyhow, if anybody can recommend a GOOD online TEFL program, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send that information my way. Thank you in advance.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two routes you can take for the TEFL certification:

1. Cheap online course. It'll work for the pay bump at public schools in Korea. It's fast. Examples: ITTT and KEI-TEFL .

2. More expensive courses like Sookmyung, Trinity, or CELTA.

Make your choice based on what you plan to do in the future. If your long-term plans are to stay in ESL, then #2 would be a good choice if you plan to use it as initial credit toward an MA. Those two programs both have schools that will apply the credit toward an MA (but they may not be schools you want an MA from -- do your research). In my opinion, if you follow the goal of reaching an MA eventually, then these extremely expensive courses are well worth it (so long as you're getting an MA from the schools which accept them as credit). By themselves, they are good, but overpriced for what you'll see in return in the Korean job market.

If you don't see yourself teaching ESL 3 years from now, and feel confident enough in your teaching abilities, then go the cheaper route. It makes no difference to employers here.

The next two levels higher than general hagwon/public school jobs here are universities and international schools. TEFL certifications of ANY sort are merely a feather in your resume cap in terms of these jobs in Korea. Universities want an MA, in most cases. That's what gets you looked at (not TEFL certifications by themselves, unless they're desperate). International schools will usually require a true teaching certification with experience teaching in public schools back home, from what I've read.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=151362&highlight=celta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: