Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dokdo Trip Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afsjesse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Dokdo Trip Report Reply with quote

Well I got back safely from the Ulleungdo/Dokdo trip. Overall I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with how organized it was. We weren't bombarded with "Dokdo is Korea" as I thought we would be. We did get a lot of things that said Dokdo is Korea and had a couple of lectures that were biased towards Korea, but did present the basic argument Japan presents.

The trip to Dokdo was kind of dissapointing. A 90 minute boat ride and we only had 20 minutes of photo time. In addition to that we were confined to the port area and couldn't go on Dokdo itself.

We had an awesome tour of Ulleungdo and did a lot of hiking. I endulged in Pumpkin Makeoli and a wide variety of Pumpkin Candies. The food was really good and the Dae-a resort where we stayed was just awesome. Ocean view and the rooms were pretty good too (bathrooms need to be cvleaned better).

The people on the trip were very cool and we all made great friendships with the organizers. It was sponsered by CBS Daegu and EPIK Gyeongbuk.

On a side note I feel that I should mention that many of us did question the lecturers about how Korea acts towards Dokdo and how it basically presents itslef. They took our criticisms and answered our questions to the best they could. One of the speakers presented us with a booklet about the debate and was terribly biased. He argued that Japan's aspiration for Dokdo is to reconquer the Korean Peninsula. He didn't answer my question when I asked for empirical evidence.

So overall I think it was a great trip and the stuff they presented to us was not as bad as i thought.

You all should go to Ulleungdo. Dokdo isn't necessary.
boatofcar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report! I always like to read these.
spitfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished your essay yet?
afsjesse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't even started it yet. It has to be 11 point, single spaced and 5 pages in length. I'm thinking about what to write and I am going to do it. I think it's the least I can do as I really enjoyed the trip. But I am going to be honest about it and trump my own horn instead of the Pro-Dokdo crowd. Not sure if it'll be 5 pages. I'm not concerned about it as I'm leaving in just over one month.
IAMAROBOT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say boo to the single spaced five page requirement. I'm with you on this. Do Koreans, who don't even write essays, know how much of a pain in the ass it is to write what's essentially a 10 page essay in about a week's time?
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play with your margins haha.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afsjesse wrote:
Haven't even started it yet. It has to be 11 point, single spaced and 5 pages in length. I'm thinking about what to write and I am going to do it. I think it's the least I can do as I really enjoyed the trip. But I am going to be honest about it and trump my own horn instead of the Pro-Dokdo crowd. Not sure if it'll be 5 pages. I'm not concerned about it as I'm leaving in just over one month.

you got to be kidding? 10 double spaced pages on Dokdo? heck just copy and paste the wiki article a few times

tell them to stick it in their ear. and everybody else should tell epik etc to do the same regarding the trip thats pure and utter bs.

then again I'm running the dokdo marathon 10k in seoul on sun. Only reason I chose it was it fit an 8 week training program and its close to home. should be fun to see the propaganda at the race. got somebody shooting video of it
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you wrote, "Dokdo belongs to Korea," 5000 times to symbolize 5000 years of history? Would that fill up 10 double spaced pages? Probably much more. Laughing
michaelambling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afsjesse wrote:

I'd love to read it when you're done; if you want some editing and/or padding to reach the desired length, I'll throw my hat in the ring.
justaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dokdo Trip Report Reply with quote

afsjesse wrote:
The trip to Dokdo was kind of dissapointing. A 90 minute boat ride and we only had 20 minutes of photo time. In addition to that we were confined to the port area and couldn't go on Dokdo itself.

Why are you going to write an essay about Dokdo when you haven't actually been on the island?

I spoke to a Korean guy who was there in the military, and he said the island is covered in bird crap.
halfmanhalfbiscuit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dokdo Trip Report Reply with quote

justaguy wrote:
afsjesse wrote:

Why are you going to write an essay about Dokdo when you haven't actually been on the island?

I spoke to a Korean guy who was there in the military, and he said the island is covered in bird crap.
Very Happy Noiiiice
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the trip and it will be worth an essay but not a one of this magnitude!
afsjesse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Michael! I'm just going to critique the trip as a whole and only mention Dokdo for maybe a page.

Dokdo was covered in bird crap, a lot of it. The trip was great overall and I don't mind writing a paper. It's been shortened to 3 pages now anyways.
Insomnia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics?
afsjesse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Facebook.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: