Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notarized or Apostilled Diploma copies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Notarized or Apostilled Diploma copies? Reply with quote

Is it necessary to get notarized copies of my diploma or does it have to be notarized-apostilled copies of the diploma in order to give to immigration to get an E-2 visa?
I can probably get notarized copies, but it would be easier to just order more originals than to get notarized-apostilled copies.
Hmmm, I am assuming here that original diplomas are still accepted (no need for any notarize or apostil on an original), right?
Thanks,
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever use a copy of diploma rather than original for getting an E-2 visa?
Was the copy notarized and apostilled or just notarized?
Thanks,
Kikomom

Location: them thar hills--Penna, USA--Zippy is my kid, the teacher in ROK. You can call me Kiko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use a copy. Notarized and apostilled.

Copies can be made by a Notary Public when it's being notarized. Then follow your state's apostille procedure (some require a County Clerk verification) and you can usually have it back in the mail within a week.

That's assuming you're in the states. Or are you already in Korea? Or from a different native English speaking country?
Bryan Saxton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About having copies apostilled: My banker made a notarized copy of my degree. He admitted that he's never done it before and he wasn't sure if he was doing it right. What he did was make a regular black and white photocopy (on normal printing paper) and filled out an additional individual acknowledgement sheet.

Is this enough for an apostilled copy of my degree?
mai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan Saxton wrote:
About having copies apostilled: My banker made a notarized copy of my degree. He admitted that he's never done it before and he wasn't sure if he was doing it right. What he did was make a regular black and white photocopy (on normal printing paper) and filled out an additional individual acknowledgement sheet.

Is this enough for an apostilled copy of my degree?

As long as your copy has a notory stamp and signature you should be fine, although mine was done on the diploma copy itself, not a separate sheet.

I live in NH and got my criminal background check and diploma copy notarized and apostilled in one day.
Bryan Saxton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mai, that's quick! Was your background check completed in one day? And was it a State check or a local check?
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,
I am still in America, Washington state.
Apostiles are a bit expensive in Washington state ($15).
On top of this is a strange problem that the Notaries here (2 of them anyway), never heard of a notarized copy?!? They say in Washington State notaries only notarize a Signature (stating that the signature is authentic). In Tennessee and California I got notarized copies (with notary seal directly on the copy) before, but it seems the Northwest is different.
So, turning into too much headache, will just use originals for E-2 visa.
Thanks for the info though!
Kikomom

Location: them thar hills--Penna, USA--Zippy is my kid, the teacher in ROK. You can call me Kiko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your can try your County Records Custodian office. Take them your diploma and say that you need a copy notarized as a TRUE COPY to send to the Secretary of State for an apostille.

http://www.secstate.wa.gov/corps/apostilles/
Quote:
In order to obtain an apostille you must send the following information:

* An original signature and seal/stamp of: A Washington State Notary Public OR A State or County Records Custodian.
* Fee is $15.00 per document (a document can be more than one page). Make check or money order payable to: Secretary of State.
* Cover Letter, which must include:
o The name of the country where the documents will be sent. (Countries require different certifications and the document cannot be certified without this information.);
o A daytime phone number for possible questions; and
o Information on where the documents should be mailed after processing.
Fat-Elvis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, if I make a photo copy of my diploma, and hand it to any notary (like, say, the chick who notarizes loan satisfactions at work), all she has to do is stamp and sign it, and I can take it to be apostilled and they will accept that?
Fat-Elvis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know? I'm gonna be taking this into work in an hour....
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the notary has to make the copy, not you. Other than than, yes, sounds good.
I went to the King County Records department in Seattle. They only make notarized copies of documents that they store there, not documents that people bring in. Very odd that I can't seem to get a notarized copy in King County Washington. Oh Well, originals are always good.
Kikomom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak on how Zippy did it. He took his degree and his CBC to the podunk notary at Ken's Stop and Shop (gas station) about 3 miles up the road. They made colored copies, stamped and signed it as a true copy. Then he mailed both to the PA Sec. of State with the cover letter stating it was for South Korea, and the payment. He mailed it on Monday and it was back on Friday.

The easiest thing (a year ago) was the CBC. At that time, online checks were ok, and the Penna. State Police has a website to do it. I had it printed out in less than ten minutes.

It couldn't have been easier, but yes, it cost a bit. $10 for the CBC (online), $10 for the two notarizations, $30 for the apostilles. Then $70 for the DHL documents package to Korea. Not to mention luggage and space bags.

While you're doing all this running around, stop by an AAA and get an international driver license (just in case). Set up web banking and get a debit card and routing info for your local bank so you can get money back to pay your bills. And if you have financial matters to be handled, stop by cousin Murray's (family lawyer) and make a Power of Attorney for your mom or dad if you need help digging yourself out of the hell four years of college loans has put you in. But don't EXPECT them to do it for you, this is just in case you have problems that need untangled while you're off gallivanting around on your wild adventures--and you're willing to share your passwords and account info. Twisted Evil
socratesocks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the original diploma to the notary, have them copy it and sign it, don't copy it yourself. You'll need to send the original diploma AND the apostilled copy to the school you'll be working at for the E2 visa. I found that one out the hard way with a second 27.95 for international express mail from the Post Office.
Kikomom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

socratesocks wrote:
Bring the original diploma to the notary, have them copy it and sign it, don't copy it yourself.
True
Quote:
You'll need to send the original diploma AND the apostilled copy to the school you'll be working at for the E2 visa.
Now this depends. Is this for a PS job or a hagwon? Maybe PS jobs need the original, but hagwons certainly don't. And if they're asking for the original sheepskin, I'd be skeptical of them AND the recruiter.
Car0lina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Notarizing a diploma while in Korea? Reply with quote

Hubby is here in Korea with all documents except notarized/appostilled diploma. American Embassy site (and nasty woman on phone) state that the Embassy will not notarize academic records- period. We know we have to send the diploma off to apostille, but how the heck are you supposed to get it notarized first? This requirement didn't exist when I started teaching a few months ago.

Any help appreciated! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: