Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VISA question (F-4 and E-2 at the same time?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homer521

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: VISA question (F-4 and E-2 at the same time?) Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone tell me if it's possible to have both an F4 Visa (if you're a gyopo of course) and a regular E2 Visa at the same time?

I'd like to come to Korea with a contract already in hand, and it sounds like Hagwons will shy away if they know you have an F-4, since it allows you to work for anyone. At the same time, I'd like to have the freedom and ability to leave a hagwon if they turned out to be a nightmare.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: No worries Reply with quote

Homer,

There really shouldn't be any problem, as I have an F-2 and an E-2 running concurrently....

If a school is worried about you leaving early (or better yet, the freedom to) then they obviously are not confident in themselves...I'd wonder why.

Shoosh,

Ryst
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VISA question (F-4 and E-2 at the same time?) Reply with quote

homer521 wrote:
Hi,

Can someone tell me if it's possible to have both an F4 Visa (if you're a gyopo of course) and a regular E2 Visa at the same time?

I'd like to come to Korea with a contract already in hand, and it sounds like Hagwons will shy away if they know you have an F-4, since it allows you to work for anyone. At the same time, I'd like to have the freedom and ability to leave a hagwon if they turned out to be a nightmare.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

once you have an F-4 you need nothing else. Many schools will hire you even if you have an F-4. I think you are worrying to much.
homer521

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, but I was more concerned if they would shy away if I had an F-4, but sounds like not.

Ok, thanks.
nyla54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the F-4 visa process is difficult if you receive it before coming to Korea. More specifically, you have to run the hoops of getting the documentation (hojuk, etc) to apply for the visa. Once in Korea, and if working for a public school, there are more documents you have to obtain/fill out.

Can anyone shed light on this? If you know what specific documents I need to get, minus the ARC, that would be really helpful!
Chambertin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a little turd, but I float well.

Aim high, hit low. Go get the F-4. Not only does this guarantee you a place in country but it shows you have long term connections to Korea. Dont think in the negative, think in the positive.

Do you really want to work at a place who thinks their advantage is a ball and chain visa? NO, get into a school that prefers people who have a connation to the community. Or at least try find one that dosent harbor ill will word those who have a mobile visa.

Running the easy E-2 first is great for a timeline based job, then get the more advanced later. Many good jobs have contract clauses that say you cant have side jobs anyway. (few respect this but its a null in most contracs and thus E/F visa consideration)

If timeline isnt a consideration then defiantly get the advanced visa.

My two flushes
daisydew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: F4 questions and more Reply with quote

I actually am having problems getting an F4 visa b/c my mom didn't do some required paperwork after she left and got married to my dad (american). she's now a korean-american and it's taking me a long time but I planned on going to korea sooner. Someone at the korean consulate told me to go ahead and get the E2 and then while the paperwork is being processed, then I can switch it to F4 while I'm in korea. Not sure if that's possible but I hope so!

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Hojuk Deungbohn ? is there anyway to get ahold of this or do the process from the u.s.?

One last one, all of these F4 positions, i'm guessing they're indirectly saying they want someone who speaks korean fluently? i can read/write and speak a tiny bit, but certainly not fluent.
jimmydenfield

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daisy -

The same exact thing happened to me when I got my F4. The immigration office said since my mother didn't officially give up her Korean citizenship, I couldn't get the visa. What bothered me about it was the fact that she already had an American citizenship which was stated on the family history paperwork! Since there is no dual-citizenship between those two countries I figured that it was obvious she had given up her Korean one. According to immigration, that didn't suffice. So she had to contact the Korean embassy in the US, pay some ridiculous $50 fee, and officially give up her citizenship via a piece of paper.

Korea used to handle matters with many cash-under-the-table transactions. It's still annoying that they had to add an additional step. It took me two months to get everything together for the visa.

The F4 visa supersedes an E2. I came to Korea on an E2 and got my F4 while working here. If your school is worried, you should look for a different job. With an F4 you can work pretty much anywhere. You've just got to build up a good resume and get a few good recommendations.

Good luck with everything.
eoneinna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you cannot possess both an E-2 and F-4 Visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: