Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The most haunted places in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakagai4649

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: The most haunted places in Korea Reply with quote

I was looking to see if anyone knows about the most haunted places in Korea are, that you can visit. Or tell us if you have had a spooky encounter here. The wife and I like to go to those sort of things. From a quick google search this is what I found.
Quote:

Inchon - One of many battlegrounds during the Korean war. Many soldiers died horrible deaths there. Sometimes people hear screaming in agony, gunfire, strong swearing and explosions.

Jeju Island - Gravity hill http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1940011/haunted_hill/

University of Seoul - It was said that the souls of the living dead, as well as poltergeists, either torment or help students living in some of the older dormitories on campus, depending on the student�s behavior.
South Korea

Deagu Motel - Poltergeist activity has been reported.

In this 5000 year old land there's got to be some scary stuff around some where.
Also what are the old folk story's on the subject?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was interested in the Daegu Hotel(according to Naver there are several motels in the city named Daegu Motel) location and after searching few other sites I found some of the names of hotels quite amusing (and for some odd reason 95% of them are named after English words)

But before I get off the topic I would mention that I also read on some site that CF Hotel in Daegu also is allegedly haunted (site is www.367halloween.com)

Anyhow..here is a list of hotels in Daegu that have...well.."interesting"
names.

- "Position" Motel - 포시즌 모텔

- Motel "Cream" - 모텔 크림

- "Hell Yeah!!" Motel - 아싸 모텔 - (I have never found a direct translation for 아싸 but in my mind this is how I would most likely express the feeling of 아싸

- "Joy" Motel - 조이 모텔

- "Drama" Motel - 드리마 모텔

- "Worker Hill" Motel - 워커힐 모텔

- "Motel "Mania" - 모텔 매니아

- "Hippo's" Motel" - 히포스 모텔
bluelake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, my son and I went into the Sondolmok Fortress (Gwangseongbo) on Ganghwa Island after dark. I was curious about "ghost bubbles" (orbs) that people sometimes get when taking pictures. I took lots of photos in the fortress itself, but the photos were clear of anything. However, when we were walking out, past the tombs of 50+ Koreans who were killed in 1871, I felt a literal and figurative chill. I took a picture over my shoulder. When I looked at the results, it was filled with orbs. Some people might have discounted it by saying it was dust or something, but all my photos before and those after were completely clear.

When we walked back to our hotel (just next to the fortress), the owner's dog, which had been completely friendly and docile when we left, gave a very low growl upon our return. It was a strange evening...
iammac2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they like to be in university dorms! My university's one female dorm is connected to the chapel by a secret tunnel... OK, I'm starting to frighten myself now, so I'll stop there. The girl's dorm is said to be haunted.

Fortunately I didn't stay in that one!
fortysixyou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thread.

I don't know of any haunted places here, but during my first year I was sleeping in my brand spanking new apartment and felt a hand on my shoulder.

I stayed pretty calm until the air conditioner turned itself off. Then the motion light by my front door went on and off several times.

Then I called my then girlfriend and told her I was coming over to stay the night.

The morning after, word was getting around that I had a weird experience. In the cafeteria my neighbor, another teacher, told me he'd had a similar experience that night.

Apparently he heard a girl crying at his door, calling out his name. He thought it was his friend, so he went to the door, and no one was there. So he went back to bed, then heard the same noise outside his window. Looked out, and once again, no one there.

I think the all out weirdest story I've heard here in Korea is KENTUCKER's seeing a bigfoot in a rice paddy walking home one day.
I want to believe, Kentucker. I want to believe.
iammac2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thread yeah!

Last edited by iammac2002 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Goku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortysixyou wrote:
Cool thread.

I don't know of any haunted places here, but during my first year I was sleeping in my brand spanking new apartment and felt a hand on my shoulder.

I stayed pretty calm until the air conditioner turned itself off. Then the motion light by my front door went on and off several times.

Then I called my then girlfriend and told her I was coming over to stay the night.

The morning after, word was getting around that I had a weird experience. In the cafeteria my neighbor, another teacher, told me he'd had a similar experience that night.

Apparently he heard a girl crying at his door, calling out his name. He thought it was his friend, so he went to the door, and no one was there. So he went back to bed, then heard the same noise outside his window. Looked out, and once again, no one there.

I think the all out weirdest story I've heard here in Korea is KENTUCKER's seeing a bigfoot in a rice paddy walking home one day.

This thread:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=119424&highlight=BIGFOOT

it rocks
bakagai4649

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked some more and the Daegu hotel's name is the CF motel but I can't find anything more than that but I haven't hit up naver.

Does anyone know of the old scary Korean folk story's or where to find them in english?
bakagai4649

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortysixyou wrote:
Cool thread.

Wow Kentucker Wow. some time I'll have to tell about about the time I saw my friend sexually assaulted by frosty the snow man one august day in Miami, while Santa cheered him on. Rolling Eyes
Big Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder whether some of the sites of the Catholic Persecutions in Haemi (near Seosan City in Chungcheongnam-do) are haunted.

At Haemi Castle, they apparently hanged Catholics by their hair from a tree that is still standing. They also bashed their heads against the stone walls surrounding the castle (which really isn't a castle at all, more like a big yard inside stone walls). I bet that place is spooky at night, knowing all that went on there. I've never heard any stories though. You won't see much documentation about all that went on there at the site, but there are websites that explain what happened there in English.

Also, nearby there is a Catholic Martyr's shrine. It's basically a church built beside the grounds where Catholics were buried alive. I think there was also a lot of torture, etc. that happened there. There are pictures in one of the buildings of some of the nasty things that were done to them on that site. Again, I've never heard any stories of hauntings there though. It's a place I don't really want to go to at night though. It gave me chills during the day.

All of this happened in the 1860s, so it is fairly recent in terms of Korea's history.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyplace where the Brits or French hang out.
Sergio Stefanuto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Anyplace where the Brits or French hang out.

The French are famous for their superb taste, so you won't find any in Korea.
gartonator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dated a mongolian girl in Daejeon for a few months... and she did NOT believe in ghosts, but she was going to university and lived with a few other mongolian girls at a small house on the outskirts of town (I never visited) and swears that all 4 of the girls eventually ended up sleeping in PC bangs till they found a new place.

Miki, my gf (I guess), refused to believe in it, and was the eventually the only one sleeping in the house until one night she was woken up by someone sitting on her bed who took her hand and brushed forehead, and then she heard an old Korean female voice telling her it was going to be ok over and over

but there was no one there

Miki said she still wasn't sure if she believed in ghosts, but she didn't sleep there again

She was only beginner/intermediate at Korean, but the old woman's voice was in korean

ooooOOOOOOOOOooooooohhhhhhhhooooooo.....

I have no idea where the house was in Daejeon (weren't too many 'houses' in tangbangdong where I lived) but the story stuck with me, true as far as I know, just interesting... in my cultural-centric ways I never thought I'd hear a ghost story in Korea... I went to college in New England, and grew up in Tennessee, where if you're really looking you can't visit a the tiniest town without at least a couple locations that are 'legendary', but there you go
gartonator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you really want to see some ghosts in Korea (or anywhere) go to your local plant shop during the warmer months, buy a nightshade plant, boil a few (like 3 or 4) flowers in water for 20 minutes, then drink the concoction somewhere safe, with sober friends watching over you, and do NOT take too much

do some research on erowid.org, it's legal, but most countries don't bother to make it illegal because almost nobody would want to do it. The experience is often characterized by meeting a witch (like the salvia goddess, but maybe her wicked step sister). The plant is legal, but the use of it can easily land you in jail if you overdose... cause you might see 1 ghost too many and lose it all together.

If you want to feel hands on your shoulders in empty rooms, this is the plant to eat

A stunning Korean young woman with near perfect English introduced me to the plant around 10am one morning when I was still up from drinking the previous night. There was a little plant store right by the entrance to my apartment (Hyundae Itel in Daejeon) She was waiting for the bus and was just smelling them and thought it was a nice flower, we smelled them together, and I asked if she liked them, she said yes, so I told her to come back to the plant shop someday, she said when? I said anytime. So I bought it for her and paid the shopkeeper a delivery fee ahead of time, but she never came back to pick it up...

so this big fleshy plant with huge yellow trumpet flowers sat there mocking me everyday on my way to work with a little plastic card stuck in the soil reading "For Angel!".

Then about 2 months later I found out their psychedelic properties while relating the story to a friend on the way home one night... my friend exclaimed, YOU CAN TRIP ON THOSE! I looked them up, long bizarre story, but anyway

take some of this tea with you to any of the aforementioned places, and I guarantee you'll see SOMETHING

please be careful if you act on any of this, I've had friends who love psyches who refuse to even try nightshade for a reason, but then again there are Mexican shamans who've dedicated their lives to its power

but you WILL hear/see other beings, I did it during Chusok when the big cities are empty and had many strange experiences, but one of the most striking is I heard a woman laughingly maniacally outside my apartment over and over, but when I checked the hallway, no one there. And i had a conversation with a plant. And you walk like a crab when you're on it.

too much info?
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gartonator wrote:
Also, if you really want to see some ghosts in Korea (or anywhere) go to your local plant shop during the warmer months, buy a nightshade plant, boil a few (like 3 or 4) flowers in water for 20 minutes, then drink the concoction somewhere safe, with sober friends watching over you, and do NOT take too much

do some research on erowid.org, it's legal, but most countries don't bother to make it illegal because almost nobody would want to do it. The experience is often characterized by meeting a witch (like the salvia goddess, but maybe her wicked step sister). The plant is legal, but the use of it can easily land you in jail if you overdose... cause you might see 1 ghost too many and lose it all together.

If you want to feel hands on your shoulders in empty rooms, this is the plant to eat

A stunning Korean young woman with near perfect English introduced me to the plant around 10am one morning when I was still up from drinking the previous night. There was a little plant store right by the entrance to my apartment (Hyundae Itel in Daejeon) She was waiting for the bus and was just smelling them and thought it was a nice flower, we smelled them together, and I asked if she liked them, she said yes, so I told her to come back to the plant shop someday, she said when? I said anytime. So I bought it for her and paid the shopkeeper a delivery fee ahead of time, but she never came back to pick it up...

so this big fleshy plant with huge yellow trumpet flowers sat there mocking me everyday on my way to work with a little plastic card stuck in the soil reading "For Angel!".

Then about 2 months later I found out their psychedelic properties while relating the story to a friend on the way home one night... my friend exclaimed, YOU CAN TRIP ON THOSE! I looked them up, long bizarre story, but anyway

take some of this tea with you to any of the aforementioned places, and I guarantee you'll see SOMETHING

please be careful if you act on any of this, I've had friends who love psyches who refuse to even try nightshade for a reason, but then again there are Mexican shamans who've dedicated their lives to its power

but you WILL hear/see other beings, I did it during Chusok when the big cities are empty and had many strange experiences, but one of the most striking is I heard a woman laughingly maniacally outside my apartment over and over, but when I checked the hallway, no one there. And i had a conversation with a plant. And you walk like a crab when you're on it.

too much info?

Interesting. I've never heard of this. Are we to assume that the laughing woman in the hallway was your witch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: