Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get an F-4 Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llj2kll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to make a copy of the naturalization paper?

It says on the bottom in red: "IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U.S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE, WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY."

Does this mean we have to get another copy to bring to Korea? Or can I just bring the one that I have?

Do they take it away from you or just check it? Because then I won't have to get another copy.

I am leaving in a week please let me know! Thanks in advance anyone who can answer my question!
stuckinGwangjuwith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the naturalization copy just in case- from my experience, the embassy gave back all the documents I submitted in order to get my visa, took me about a week to do so. Also, ask if there is a way they can arrange to send back the visa to you instead of picking it up in person, which is problematic if there's no embassy nearby.

I had to get my Korean registry from Seoul through my relatives, and this is one area that gyopos with no Korean contacts get screwed up major. If possible, try getting into Korea with another visa then apply for a F-4?

And for GEPIK, I still had to submit my background check, and get it notarized/apostillized, which was a pain in the ass.
silence.kit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is applying for an F4 visa, does this benefit me in any way?

Would I still have to get an E2 if I want to teach in Korea or are there other options?
Clinton

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am seriously considering going to Korea in the very near future and as a Korean-American, the F4 Visa intrigues me. However, here are some concerns I have.

1. I think I already renounced my Korean citizenship?
Several years ago when stories were making the rounds about how US citizens were being kept in Korea to serve military duty, my dad had me sign some papers to make sure this would never happen to me.

2. I have no contact with my parents.
Due to circumstances, I have absolutely no contact with my family. How would I go about proving who I am with little more than my Korean name and birthdate?

Hopefully I'm not rehashing some annoying questions, and if I am, please be patient with me. Thanks!

Anyway, I'll be visiting the Korean Embassy in the next couple of months so hopefully I'll be able to help people with similar predicaments.
Marissa0687

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the family registry, because like Clinton, I have no contact or information about my family in Korea. All I know is my mother's Korean name. Is that enough to get the family registry? Or do I need her father's name?
reveuse261

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a question about the family registry, because like Clinton, I have no contact or information about my family in Korea. All I know is my mother's Korean name. Is that enough to get the family registry? Or do I need her father's name?

i have the same problem. i'm adopted and only know my biological mother's name. i've emailed my adoption agency to see if they can help. what did you do?
reveuse261

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, this may be a dumb question. i've been looking up family registries and stumbled across this:

http://www.online-languagetranslators.com/korean-birth-certificate-translation.htm

so, is a family registry just a korean birth certificate? because i think i totally have that. . .
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Proof of employment for F-4? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

My parents recently contacted the Korean consulate in New York and were told that I would require proof of future employment in Korea when applying. I will leave in November for Korea to work for CDI but will only be back for 10 days in the states. From what I've read, I have a few questions:

1. Is 10 days enough time as a Korean-American whose parents are American citizens with American passports to get the F-4 from the consulate? CDI has required that I have the visa BEFORE I enter training and fly to Korea, thus leaving me with only about 10 days to get the visa. Luckily I live relatively close to the consulate.

2. Has the Korean consulate in New York always required a letter from an employer? Training starts in November, so I've contacted my recruiter asking for one. I don't see why they wouldn't provide one considering I have accepted the offer and signed the contract already.

3. Will I still require my parents' hojuk? The copy of my birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate, and anything else naturalization related for them is at home in New York, I'm sure of this. The only thing I would be missing is the hojuk. Is it possibly to get a copy in the US?

4. Any other advice/warnings from Korean-American gyopos who have received their F-4 visa DOMESTICALLY from the consulate and NOT in Korea?

Thanks so much in advance! Smile
djbeans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Proof of employment for F-4? Reply with quote

catchshime wrote:
Hey everyone,

My parents recently contacted the Korean consulate in New York and were told that I would require proof of future employment in Korea when applying. I will leave in November for Korea to work for CDI but will only be back for 10 days in the states. From what I've read, I have a few questions:

1. Is 10 days enough time as a Korean-American whose parents are American citizens with American passports to get the F-4 from the consulate? CDI has required that I have the visa BEFORE I enter training and fly to Korea, thus leaving me with only about 10 days to get the visa. Luckily I live relatively close to the consulate.

2. Has the Korean consulate in New York always required a letter from an employer? Training starts in November, so I've contacted my recruiter asking for one. I don't see why they wouldn't provide one considering I have accepted the offer and signed the contract already.

3. Will I still require my parents' hojuk? The copy of my birth certificate, my parents marriage certificate, and anything else naturalization related for them is at home in New York, I'm sure of this. The only thing I would be missing is the hojuk. Is it possibly to get a copy in the US?

4. Any other advice/warnings from Korean-American gyopos who have received their F-4 visa DOMESTICALLY from the consulate and NOT in Korea?

Thanks so much in advance! Smile

really? for an f-4 visa? make sure that you're telling the consulate it's for an f-4 visa...because if you look at the korean consulate's website they don't mention anything about an employer's letter...besides the f-4 visa is not in any way related to having a job in korea, that's for the e-2 visa.
jonah47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: F4 Visa Reply with quote

Here are some observations on how my wife obtained her F4 Visa just two weeks ago. First, although the requirements are listed on the Korean Consulate don't seem to fit what the Immigration Officer asks for when you are standing in front of him. My wife, Korean born, an American citizen for the past 25 years and I spent all summer in Daegu. Although I am now back at home and at work she preferred to extend the stay. That is how I became aware of the F4. In any case, she did have her family register, American passport and two photos. We filled the forms out but then were questioned on how to prove she was an American citizen. I, of course, through interpretation from my wife, showed them that the US passport was her proof and finally convinced them. The next request was the original of her naturalization papers, not a copy. This was toughter but upon my return to the USA I overnighted the original to my wife who then took it back to Immigration and that problem solved. At that point they issued her the F4 Visa. Funny as at no point did they ever ask for the renunication form that some members have asked about. I obviously did not bring that point up. In addition, different clerks seem to tell you different stories on how long the VISA is good for before it needs to be renewed, the term of 2, 3 and 5 years were all thrown at us. I am going to bet that it is 3 years.

My point is that you should just go down and apply for the Visa if you think you qualify and fight it through. There does not seem to be a consistant set of requirements.
arice05

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if someone has already said this, just wanted to help with the bit of knowledge taht i actually do have! Smile

G.O.A.'L is THE go to if you're adopted. they are amazing and will help you out for free. it's who i am going through to get my f4 visa, and they are absolutely the most help i've gotten so far. all you really need to do is go through them if you're adopted, and you're set!
daisydew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: F4 for half-koreans Reply with quote

Just an fyi, since i'm in the middle of getting an F4 visa (the process is taking longer than i would have expected). I'm half korean, my mom is korean, but now a u.s. citizen. when she got married to my dad, she never officially 'denounced' her citizenship and so it's causing some extra paperwork. at first i thought we needed the 'hojuk' but the chicago consulate wasn't really helpful with getting that. basically my mom can either fly to korea and get it (yeah right) or a relative of ours can send it (which is what i'm waiting for in the mail).

once we get this piece of paper (not hojuk, but i forget what it's called, the opposite of that) then my mom and i can drive the 3+ hours to chicago and get it done. then along with that and my birth certificate (which shows the names and birth places of my parents) i can start the F4 visa process. from what i've seen, i still have to go through some of the criminal and health background checks, which is fine, but i'm hoping that getting this visa, as opposed to just going ahead with the E2 will be worth the trouble.
debsroxyrsox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machellebelle wrote:
Does anyone know if F-4 visa holders are still not required to have background checks?

I came to Korea 4 months ago on an F-4 visa I got from the Houston consulate- I had to get a local background check from the city I was living in-- but not a national background check.

Also, someone mentioned that they had to wait 3 days in order to get their F-4 visa from the Houston consulate-- I got mine the same day that I went to the office (just had get there when it first opened). Also, there was a little trouble when I got here with my visa- the people at the immigration office here said they couldn't honor the visa even though it was given to me in the states (although they couldn't give me a reason why). I had to fight for it a bit, but once I got it everything was fine.

They were able to pull up my mother's family registration when I gave them my mother's name and her birthdate. I assume they'd be able to do that for anyone with that information?
cavationa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyopogirlfromtexas wrote:
Called the Houston consulate, they told me the f-4 takes 3 days and I had to fill out this form as well. http://www.koreahouston.org/www/download/forms/form_nationality_01.pdf

I guess to renounce my Korean citizenship. They want $45, $16.50 overnightmail prepaid envelope,another envelope with 41 cents for the renoucing Korean thing that'd arrive later(they say it takes awhile for me to come off the hojuk but they'll give me the visa in 3days anyway), hojuk dengbon, my real passport, copy of my certificate of citizenship.

What is so frustrating is that on the "application for visa," on number 8 (classification). It's all in chinese, I can't understand this. DP OF OR. WHat on earth is dp of or???? Am I supposed to circle one or what ? DId they abbreviate it??

So can you do this by mail instead of having to go all the way to the consulate?
bossam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: