Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manners related to grammar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Manners related to grammar Reply with quote

I want to do a lesson about basic manners related to grammar, for example not saying "open the door" but using "could you open the door?" and "would you open the door please."

What other things should I cover related to grammar and language in general?

Some other things I should cover
-Yelling "hey" to people can also be weird.
-Ma'am and sir
-Using "i'm afraid" for giving bad news
-Not saying words like retarded. I forgot what this was called in linguistics, but using a word with the same meaning but better feeling, i.e. "collateral damage."

Also I notice in some situations it sounds better to use "could" than "would" (and vice versa). Is there a general rule?

Any other things I should cover? Thanks
halfmanhalfbiscuit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do modal verbs in general-Koreans usage of them can make them sound rather brusque and bombastic.
FMPJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Manners related to grammar Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
-Not saying words like retarded. I forgot what this was called in linguistics, but using a word with the same meaning but better feeling, i.e. "collateral damage."

I think you're looking for "euphemism," but "retarded" is something else--it was once the preferred and official term, but has been replaced (twice, I believe..."developmentally disabled" was the correct term for a while, but I'm pretty sure that one's also been replaced...)
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut instinct is that I would teach euphemisms (disabled, challenged, retarded, etc.) in a different lesson than one on etiquette, so as not to confuse students. They are related, but I think a Korean would easily see the latter as a matter of grammatical politeness between different age or prestige levels, and euphemisms as a complex and more political matter. Not everyone agrees in the west on these wordisms, thus they keep changing, and you will have to make that distinction.

I would have the students imagine or role-play ordering in a restaurant or hot dog stand, or something, rather than giving them a list of modal auxiliaries. This way you can show how "gimme a hot dog," "I want a hot dog," and "may I please have a hot dog" are different. You can move from there to other examples.

Ken:>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: