Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Chilgok" in Daegu...any good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ro2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: "Chilgok" in Daegu...any good? Reply with quote

Hiya,

So I got a job offer today from a school in Daegu. Well, I got a phone call from them....the guy spoke hardly any english and I couldn't really ask him much about the school or area. He said he'd email me the contract anyway.

The place is in an area in Daegu called Chilgok. Anyone know what it's like to live/work there? My suspicion is that it's kinda far out from the main bit of Daegu, and maybe that it's not really in Daegu at all. But hopefully i'm wrong.

Any info, really welcome!
Pink Freud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's NW of Daegu. about a 30- 60 minute bus ride into downtown, depending on traffic. None of the benefits of either small town or big city living. Wish I could tell you more.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is far out of the way from the main city, But one of the bright sides is that the area is pretty much completely new. Of course it has its old areas and even old crappy buildings right next to luxury apartments, but ever since I had been in Daegu I had always thought of the area as kind of run down. However the woman I am currently dating lives there, and when I first drove there to meet her some time ago, I found my ideas about the area completely wrong. Almost everything I have seen there seems to be fairly new and maintained quite well. To me it has the feel of a small town without the small town drab.

If your job will be in Chilgok district 3...you should be pretty happy with the surrounding areas.
Chris_Dixon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live there, its not bad...at times id rather be downtown as the restaurants are abit better, but im happy enough to wait for the weekend to get my weigook cuisine fix...its 40 mins downtown via bus, about 30-40 mins to costco...theres a homeplus handy, walking distance....its not bad...BUT your experience really depends on your job....if your the only weigook teacher it would be pretty hard...

its not bad at all really....been here two years....message me if you hve any questions.
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live here. I'm not sure if I would recommend it. It's nice because it's newer, and I am at a new school and have a new apartment, but it takes forever to get to downtown and the cab rides start adding up after a while (busses stop running at 10:30 so you will probably end up taking cabs a lot). There's no subway line up here either, so your only choice to go downtown is cabs or busses. There are very few western restaurants here. But it's cleaner and quieter than downtown, so that's a plus.
mongolian spot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my honest opinion chilgok blows and i simply cannot wait to leave this miserable place.

Daegu itself is pretty conservative but chilgok is worse. Imagine a real crappy town back home then make that crappy town more dirty, more smelly, more narrow minded, and more boring then your still not close.

The people in chilgok are just dumb.
Chris_Dixon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongolian spot wrote:

lol
DaeguKid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilgok is nice and pretty clean...but really, for your first contract and not knowing anyone, i would reccommend living on one of the two subway lines so that if you want to get downtown it won't be difficult.

If you are a quiet kind of person and getting out is not all that important to you, then yeah, go to chilgok. it will have all you need.

but as a whole, come to Daegu. It is a good place to start out in Korea.

good luck in your decision.
DK
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_Dixon wrote:
i ...BUT your experience really depends on your job....if your the only weigook teacher it would be pretty hard...

Replace "hard" with "fantastic" and then I'd say you've got it.
mongolian spot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeguKid wrote:
chilgok is nice and pretty clean...but really, for your first contract and not knowing anyone, i would reccommend living on one of the two subway lines so that if you want to get downtown it won't be difficult.

If you are a quiet kind of person and getting out is not all that important to you, then yeah, go to chilgok. it will have all you need.

DK

'Nice and pretty clean', wher the hell do you come from, lagos?
DrugstoreCowgirl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongolian spot wrote:
DaeguKid wrote:

DK

'Nice and pretty clean', wher the hell do you come from, lagos?

Laughing Maybe they mean compared to other places in Daegu? I would agree with that.
mongolian spot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_Dixon wrote:
mongolian spot wrote:

lol

You know its true dixon!
mongolian spot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: "Chilgok" in Daegu...any good? Reply with quote

Ro2 wrote:
Hiya,

So I got a job offer today from a school in Daegu. Well, I got a phone call from them....the guy spoke hardly any english and I couldn't really ask him much about the school or area. He said he'd email me the contract anyway.

The place is in an area in Daegu called Chilgok. Anyone know what it's like to live/work there? My suspicion is that it's kinda far out from the main bit of Daegu, and maybe that it's not really in Daegu at all. But hopefully i'm wrong.

Any info, really welcome!

so did you take this job in the country?
mekku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilgok is a part of the city just like anywhere else. i lived there for the past year and liked it a lot. area 3 is really clean compared to the rest of the city, there wasn't a lot of street noise and there are a lot of parks, trees, grass and the river compared to the rest of the city that tends to be more industrial feeling. i spent my first contract there as the only foreign teacher. the rapid bus downtown is only 30 minutes and cabs to downtown are only around 11-13,000 won which i don't think is bad. living farther out on the subway in other parts of the city take 20 minutes just on the subway so its not that much farther than parts of dalseo-gu.

it's nice to have a homeplus so convenient to the area and if you're hard up there's a mcdonald's and an outback steakhouse very close by.

i'm moving to a different part of the city with my new job but preferably i'd rather stay in chilgok, mainly because it has a little more 'nature' and quiet, while still having all the conveniences of the city.
vk33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live there for just short of two years a ways back. it is more developed now and has a lot more people and western amenities that some people cant seem to live without. maybe that works for you.

when i was there, there were a lot of empty lots and i could literally walk to "the edge of the city (Daegu)" and that was really cool.

that said, the air is much better, the muggles are tighter, a ride downtown will cost you a cool 10k or a 45 minute bus ride. i walked home drunk sometimes in the summer (a good way to get sober), that took three and a half hours.

its great for hiking and mountain biking.

i miss it in a lot of ways and would trade it for Seoul in a flash if i could make as much money without going into my own business.

oh, and Daegu has the prettiest girls in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: