Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow Internet!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saram_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Slow Internet!!! Reply with quote

Hi all. I am looking for some advice and help from all you techno wizards..

I've recently signed up for both Cable TV and Internet from the Cable and More (C and M). The cost was 35,000 per month.. I'm living in Yongsan, Seoul.

My cable is working a treat..,
However I'm kinda disappointed with my internet connection!! The problem seems to be uploading pages...

It is quite slow compared to when I had internet before in Korea with KT (over a year ago now).

I only recently returned and wanted to get both Cable and Internet as a package to reduce my costs..

Does anybody else have the package from C & M and if so,
How is yer internet speed? For example, I can hardly watch You tube or listen to radio stations without some kind of serious interruptions.

Downloading is a bit better though..

Also often internet pages take an age to load.. I'm sure I can do better than this what with Korea possessing one of the fastest internet connections on the planet!!

I use a Toshiba Laptop, Intel Pentium 4 which is about 4 years old now..

I mainly use Firefox.

Could the fact that I've an old laptop be the main problem or are there any other reasons that my internet is so slow.. I used while I was at home though and never had problems with internet connections.

Its kind of sad that my internet connection (at least uploading) was better in rural Ireland than in Korea...lol

http://www.speedtest.net/

I ran a test with speed test above and my result was

http://www.speedtest.net/result/580812814.png

Download 30.88 Mb/s

Upload 1.45 Mb/s

Ping 21/Ms

How come uploading is soo slow??

I really hope I can get this resolved as its quite frustrating..
I hope somebody can shed some light for me!!

Thank You.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's speed is pretty horrible everywhere around here... probably with everyone home for Chuseok and stores closed. Lots of people online.
saram_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
Today's speed is pretty horrible everywhere around here... probably with everyone home for Chuseok and stores closed. Lots of people online.

Yeah, I do think the problem may be related to how many people are online or even just connected to the Cable network!

It hasn't just been today either though.
Ive had this problem for the past week since I got my internet and cable set up..
aphase

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the C&M cable package for a year. In the very beginning it was fine, and speedy, but then after a couple weeks it slowed down a lot. I just thought it was a temporary thing, but it would always be slow, and once I called them to come down and fix it, and after the repair guy logged into the C&M website from my computer, suddenly everything was fast (he said nothing was wrong before). Then a week later everything became super slow again.

Anyways I got really fed up with this, because towards the end of my contract with them i got an XBOX 360 and was getting really horrible ping times, and couldn't even play online. Since then I have switched to KT's FTTH 100MB/100MB service and everything has been great.

I still keep C&M for cable TV though, i only canceled their internet. TV is like 8,000 won a month or something really cheap like that.
seonsengnimble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't KT megapass offer cable/internet combos? I don't particularly remember since I've never paid for tv here, but I seem to recall them having combo packages. I'm still considering signing up with them for internet. My mysterious cable provider is pretty eratic in its speeds, but it's free for some reason, and I've enjoyed being off the grid for a while.
aphase

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think KT megapass only offers an internet TV kind of deal, whatever it is you call that. IP TV? I don't know. I saw someone who had it, and it was a pretty much VOD but you had to wait a day or so for all the recent TV episodes to get on there. That was a couple of years ago.
itsthepetester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem with my C & M cable. It takes forever to stream videos and takes a long time to load websites. It wasn't always this slow. It has only been the past month or so.

I am in Nowon-Gu by the way.
deizio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the cable & net package from C&M in Yongsan (Haebangchon). wonder if this sounds familiar to anyone...

Speeds were great when first installed, September 2008. remember getting 78mbps on wired LAN and 10mbps on the iTouch on speedtest.net. multiple (ten or more) concurrent rapidshare downloads at 200k/s, seen torrents hit 6mbs, easily 1mbs+ for anything popular.

Speeds started falling off the cliff a few months ago. speedtest on LAN and wifi now somewhere between 1 (one) - 7mpbs, ping times are way up. rapidshare now choked at 50k/s for one download and less the more that are running. same on my new Win7 Vaio and old XP Samsung laptops (both core2duo) and crappy old XP desktop.

theres an open wifi network in the 'hood (isp: Korea Telecom) which I can tap into which still got good speeds up until recently. However, of late it runs as fast as my connection, ie very slowly, certainly by Korean standards.

I'm pretty au fait with all this, I know there is no issue with my computer hardware, router, settings or anything i can influence, and seriously skeptical there would be anything wrong with their modem. the trouble is on their end, the net just isnt coming down the pipe anything like as fast as it used to, which i think is fairly common right now and therefore something they would know whether they could do anything about.

engineer came out on thurs (spoke not a word of english, kept his bandana around his face the whole time he was here with just his eyes peeking out), started screwing around with my laptop and tutting because it was in English. I patiently explained the problem was at their end in my best korean, but he clearly didnt have any ideas. said he'd be back the next day with a new modem. after installing said modem, still no improvement. (and i dont know / cant find the default passwords for a Hanyang Digitech modem so cant access the diagnostics & settings on it) at the end of his second visit he called the office and put me on to a woman who spoke half decent english who said he couldnt find any problems and then tried to fob me off saying they might get back to me in a week if they figured anything out.

This is more of a rant than a useful "how to get C&M to sort out your internet" guide, but anyway. these are my questions:

If plenty of people are having the same issue, why did all of this seem to come as such a surprise to C&M?

What speeds are other C&M Yongsan customers getting?

Any KT customers in the area noticed their speeds rapidly declining recently? SK customers?

I'm outta here in mid march and will be cancelling the contract regardless, but coming back to the same apartment in Aug and looking to make an informed choice about who i sign up with then. none of this necesssarily has a huge negative impact on my quality of life but it is annoying on a day-to-day basis, and i missed any memos about korea's undersea cables being severed.
broken76

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall Internet through the cable company will be slower than with a DSL/ADSL/VDSL line. Cable shares the connection with whoever in your neighborhood is using it so chances are speeds are going to be affected. If you're the only one using the line then it'll be great.
Also I noticed that cable doesn't like torrents. If I'm running utorrent it pretty much drags everything to a crawl. Close utorrent and things pick up some. If you can get a DSL or other optical line it's definitely an overall improvement over cable. Unfortunately some neighborhoods / buildings don't have DSL so cable is the only option.
saram_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't even watch Youtube or other online videos now..without it stopping every few seconds!! Its really poor most of the day..guess due to demand in this area!

Is it like this for everyone else in the HBC area with CnM Internet and Cable?
Was really hoping for better...

I can live easily without Youtube etc, but sometimes it would be nice to watch a video or two there without massive interruptions..

CnM cable- Internet and Cable Package, Stay away!!
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Youtube sucks, its been like that for a few years now. I have to watch in 240p in order to not constantly pause the video
dazza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: C&M slow Reply with quote

I would like to weigh in too. I've had C&M cable in Haebongchon Yongsan Seoul for nearly 3 years, in the past 2 weeks it's been impossibly slow at night. There is definitely something wrong. Today, I will approach KT to see about replacing the service. I used KT some years ago and they have an English speaking service, they are advertising decent deals. Here is the link, although it's in Korean

http://www.skylifehd.co.kr/

let me know if things improve real soon cause. Also, do check your cancellation fee with C&M, I heard that KT will offer to pick up the bill for cancellation, but it could mean signing up for some years. I will find out soon.
hallazgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Yes, Youtube sucks, its been like that for a few years now. I have to watch in 240p in order to not constantly pause the video

Youtube began sucking when they got into a row with Korea over using your real name in logging in. Back in 2008, this Korean dude named himself minerva and made all sorts of predictions about the stock market, some of which actually came true. He panicked a bunch of Koreans (they're like lemmings, I tell ya) and ever since then Korea has this hard on for knowing your real name. Youtube and Google didn't wanna play that game. Ergo, youtube is slow. Funny how things work.

My Galaxy S plays youtube videos just fine, but I'm betting it's 240p also. I never checked. Small display, don't care, etc. etc.
Boffo97

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've also had problems since I got here. I assumed it was connection speeds in the cable across the Pacific.

Conversely, I sometimes watch videos from an Australian gaming site, and those come in way fast than they did in America.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a slow internet problem since yesterday. At first I thought it was the office connection. But then I found it was the same at home, and the same on a friend's iphone.

It seems to be particularly bad with Google related sites (e.g. Google search, Gmail, Youtube) but also some other sites (including some Korean sites).

It's really annoying when I want to quickly check my Gmail or sent out a quick email. Has there been some kind of extra problem recently?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: