Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faith healing parents are charged for death of their kid....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troutslayer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Faith healing parents are charged for death of their kid.... Reply with quote

GOOD!

I don't know about you but this simply makes me angry (not the fact they were charged but what they did NOT do).

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20091008_Faith-healing_parents_charged_in_death_of_infant_son.html
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats nothing. Chairman Mao and his red army used to charge the families of those executed for the cost of the bullet.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Thats nothing. Chairman Mao and his red army used to charge the families of those executed for the cost of the bullet.

How does that compare, in any way, to the above story?
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
Julius wrote:

How does that compare, in any way, to the above story?

My favorite part is that he considers parents letting their child die a painful death from illness instead of seeking medical treatment to be, "Nothing."

I wonder if he'd still have said, "That's nothing," if the perpetrators had been atheists. Somehow I doubt it.
Street Magic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:

Unlike with people who share a religion and thus a culture, people who don't subscribe to a religion aren't part of a collective culture any more than people who don't collect stamps could be thought to share the same hobby.
Troutslayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unlike with people who share a religion and thus a culture, people who don't subscribe to a religion aren't part of a collective culture any more than people who don't collect stamps could be thought to share the same hobby.

Yes, anything can be mixed into the Kool-Aid.

Simple fact: The parents neglected the safety and health of their child.

Now, they will pay the price for that...............a little more serious than collection stamps.

slayer of trout
Street Magic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troutslayer wrote:
Yes, anything can be mixed into the Kool-Aid.

Simple fact: The parents neglected the safety and health of their child.

Now, they will pay the price for that...............a little more serious than collection stamps.

slayer of trout

I think you misunderstood my post (unless I misunderstood yours). I totally agree that the parents neglected their child because of their beliefs. The stamp collection analogy was in response to Julius's claim that these religious parents did a comparatively minor thing relative to what a certain nonreligious dictator did. My point was that you can't group people together by what they *don't* believe in, which is why Julius's comment wasn't a good rebuttal to this thread's introduction of the problem of these religious parents having neglected their child because of their beliefs.

EDIT: I could see where one could extend this to the initial thread issue and think I was claiming that parents can't be held accountable for what they don't do, but the difference there is that becoming a parent is a decision to accept certain responsibilities, which, should you fail to take care of, ought to merit consequences in certain situations. Child neglect, like in this thread's story, is such a situation.

Last edited by Street Magic on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand, the parents had real medical treatment when they were ill and didn't rely on faith healing. Not to take away from their insanity at all but they probably didn't give the child real medical assistance because they didn't know how sick he was, as he couldn't tell them.

I've always thought that if you are a firm believer in treatments with no scientific backing whatsoever, then cool. You just void your right to actual medical assistance when your cancer pops up.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh. For most believers, it is not an either-or situation; they would take the boy to the hospital and pray for him and for the doctor.

These are tricky legal cases. Trying to draw a balance between parental rights and the child's benefit is difficult. I suppose I would prosecute the case on the basis that the father is a teacher and the pastor a church leader, and they have a professional responsibility for the child, but I am not a lawyer. It's good at least to see that they were charged, which might deter other irresponsible parents. Really, the pastor ought to be charged as well.
Old Gil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:

relevance FAIL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: