Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humiliating HIV Test Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mithrae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I was in hospital. When I got out after five days I mentioned to my co-teacher that I had suffered from some intestinal infection and the pain was terrible. He said he knew already. He had phoned the hospital and they told him everything. I almost hit the roof. First of all, how dare you phone the hospital asking about my personal health information. And how dare the hospital release that information to a third party, employer or not. You can be sure my personal information, which is supposedly 'confidential', made it's way around the school lunchroom that very same day.

Bad enough that they released my information to my school. How could they even verify over the phone that it was actually my school phoning. It could have been anyone trying to get dirt on me by posing as someone from my school. Unbelievable.

When people start threads asking whether Korea is a first or third world country, they're not referring to its degree of economic development. They're talking about this kind of stuff. And this kind of stuff is third world [Mod Edit].
Jane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea should be taking medical confidentality seriously. Why? The Korean government has recently declared medical tourism a primary economic driver of the country. They have a vested interested in providing top rate medical care in a professional manner.

But, whatever. I've stopped caring about Korea a long time ago.
Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermentation wrote:
I don't have any stories like that but it is making me think I should go visit a foreigner if I ever go see a counselor/shrink.

Hi There,

I thought some of you might find this story amusing.

When we started working for a university we all had to get medical tests done for our visa status.

We accepted this as normal except we were amused at the first stop of the day, the psychiatric ward!!.

We all had a bit of fun getting a 'mad' photo in front of the psych ward. Very Happy

Unforgettable..
wunderkind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I'm scared to go to the hospital to get the annual tests done. BTW, how much does it cost here?
Goku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed the medical transparency in Korea.

Just a few moments ago a teacher was telling me that another teacher had a child with swine flu. Obviously I was a bit mystified as how they knew this, I could only conclude that it wasn't exactly hidden information.

Personally, I don't really care if people know I have anal leakage, it just makes it so much more understanding if I'm running to the bathroom all the time. But I do understand why most westerners want their medical information hidden.

I don't know, most Koreans I've met don't really care, like me. Even when we went to the hospital my co-teacher looks at my medical records and freely asks me questions about it.
Benicio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When something is very personal and very sensitive, they will gossip about it and it will be used to judge you, just like the guy who's school was informed that he was taking medicine for mild bipolar disorder.

That is not cool in any way, shape or form!
DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benicio wrote:
When something is very personal and very sensitive, they will gossip about it and it will be used to judge you, just like the guy who's school was informed that he was taking medicine for mild bipolar disorder.

That is not cool in any way, shape or form!

No such thing. You mean cyclothmia?
Dysupes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, as I'm sure a lot of the oldtimers do, this stuff regularly happens to Koreans in exactly the same way. I have seen doctors do this kind of thing, nurses too, many times when I've visited the hospital with my wife. Even saw one doctor, who became famous between us for just such tactlessness, discussing a pregnant woman's vaginal leakage in the middle of the waiting room at HIGH volume. Not something she wanted shared, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
fermentation wrote:
I don't have any stories like that but it is making me think I should go visit a foreigner if I ever go see a counselor/shrink.

Hi There,

I thought some of you might find this story amusing.

When we started working for a university we all had to get medical tests done for our visa status.

We accepted this as normal except we were amused at the first stop of the day, the psychiatric ward!!.

We all had a bit of fun getting a 'mad' photo in front of the psych ward. Very Happy

Unforgettable..

Love your avatar Michelle Surprised
timolein23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benicio wrote:
No one has to apologize for laughing about this story as I, the OP, laughed about it after a few drinks.

However, it does not change the fact that there is a huge problem with medical "professionals" broadcasting private, personal information to anyone around and doing so in a way that makes the doctor/nurse seem more like a child who understands nothing of tact.

Yeh patient confidentiality here does seem pretty bad.

Benicio, who is in your avatar? Noel Redding?
Benicio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very close- Mitch Mitchell

From what I understand, Korean medical "professionals" are just as bad at broadcasting private information about Korean patients as they are for foreigners.

I'm wondering if we can add this on to the list of grievances about why we do not wish to have invasive tests done on us that not only stigmatize us, but we also suffer the insult of our private information being broadcast to the public.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had "friends" who work at a local hospital call me up to discuss the medical conditions of people I have heard of, but do not know at all.
marlow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small town Canada sucks, too. Most nurses are just a bunch of gossipers IMO. I guess it comes with sitting around on night shifts.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandatory HIV Testing - Collecting Testimonies

MINBYUN -- Lawyers for a Democratic Society is currently seeking testimonies from those that have been subjected to mandatory HIV testing in order to receive or renew an E2 visa.

As of yet, the Korean Government has yet to explain the link between classroom teaching and HIV infection, require that Korean nationals with the same employment undergo testing, or provide any official data to support a link between sex crimes and E2 visa holders. Due to the discriminatory nature of the testing and under the premise that it is in violation with Korea's commitment to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, we will be sending a letter of allegation to the UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination and xenophobia and related intolerance.

If you are interested in giving your testimony please send the following information to [email protected] by February 23, 2013.

Name:
Date of the incident(s):
Date and length of contract(s):
Details such as the following:

-If you were allowed to choose the hospital where you were tested
-If the hospital staff communicated with you in English or if you needed a translator to communicate with the hospital staff
-If you were provided with any education or training on the prevention of HIV
-If you ever felt mistreated or harassed related to HIV/AIDs
-If you were pressured to take the test more than once within a year
-If your results were reported directly to you or through an employee at your school, the immigration office, or the MOE
-If you feel that your test results resulted in harassment or termination
-If you refused to be tested and subsequently were denied a visa or terminated

Please provide us with a way to contact you for further details. Depending on the volume of replies we may not be able to respond immediately, but we will follow up with those that will be included in the report.

Thank you.

http://minbyun.org/english/archives/540
[email protected]
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWAEJIMORIGUKBAP wrote:
None of this suprises me.

Years ago I started at a new hakwan and after a few reckless one night stands I decided to get a general std test at the local clinic.

One of my co-workers, let's call him 'Georgie' had hypochondria and a panchant for visiting anmas. The two combined as you would imagine made sure he had a LOT of hiv and std tests....

SO I go in the clinic and tell them what I want and they ask for my alien card and health card etc.

They see the name of the hakwan - let's call it 'abc' - and shout out

'Oh! ABC! Georgie teachah ha ha ha, many many std tests ha ha ha...'

LOL I'm saving this one to tell to the boys in the shop. Good stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: