Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad wreck near Jungro 5-ga today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassexpander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Bad wreck near Jungro 5-ga today Reply with quote

Did anyone else see the aftermath of this? I must have missed it by barely a minute.

From what I could see, a newer black Samsung SM5 and a motorcycle had some kind of altercation, which caused both the motorcycle and the SM5 to break through about 20m of one of those new pipe barriers (I now know they are black PVC pipe) into the opposite lane. Waiting for them in the opposite lane was another motorcycle and an older Hyundai Sonata.

BOOM!

Head-on collision at enough speed to thoroughly crumple the cars entirely in the front. Plastic PVC and airbags were everywhere. One motorcyclist was still on the ground recounting what happened. The others had gotten out.. apparently (amazingly) it seemed like those in the cars escaped major injury. I have no idea what happened to the other motorcycle.

The SM5 was steaming and billowing smoke.

I'm now more nervous about driving in my Matiz.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a fairly large, fresh pile of broken plastic and glass on the way to work this morning here too.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad wreck near Jungro 5-ga today Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
Did anyone else see the aftermath of this? I must have missed it by barely a minute.

From what I could see, a newer black Samsung SM5 and a motorcycle had some kind of altercation, which caused both the motorcycle and the SM5 to break through about 20m of one of those new pipe barriers (I now know they are black PVC pipe) into the opposite lane. Waiting for them in the opposite lane was another motorcycle and an older Hyundai Sonata.

BOOM!

Head-on collision at enough speed to thoroughly crumple the cars entirely in the front. Plastic PVC and airbags were everywhere. One motorcyclist was still on the ground recounting what happened. The others had gotten out.. apparently (amazingly) it seemed like those in the cars escaped major injury. I have no idea what happened to the other motorcycle.

The SM5 was steaming and billowing smoke.

I'm now more nervous about driving in my Matiz.

Matiz? How big are you?
tzechuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time was this and are those actual bikes or scooters?
bassexpander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzechuk wrote:
What time was this and are those actual bikes or scooters?

It was between 12:00 and 12:15, I'd say. Noon rush. It was just a ways East of 5-ga.. not at the actual intersection.

They were actual motorcycles... if memory serves, both were 125cc daelim delivery specials (or at least one of them was a daelim 125). They were both packed to the hilt. The one which appeared to have possibly caused the wreck, by my simple guess due to location, had a long rug mounted on it. I wonder if that contributed to the problem.
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a really bad one a few weeks ago that stopped both sides of traffic coming and going over the Hanam Bridge. A big motorcycle had hit an SUV (or the other way around) there was a fire, both drivers were dead, there were people rubbernecking in both vehicles and on the sidewalk for a full city block it seemed. There wasn't much left of the bodies of both dead guys due to the fire. Yeck
crossmr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a lady try to blow a red light today, also while turning. She snuck around the bus in the first lane, but the bus blocked the car in the second lane, they couldn't see each other and had a head on. Seemed like no one was hurt, but it was clearly her fault. Caused a mess in the intersection. Her car also got the worst of it, completely ripped the entire front bump off, it was just hanging by a small piece. His bumper was broken on one side, but the other side seemed fine.
halfmanhalfbiscuit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean drivers give me the shits. Aggressive, passive aggressive, noncholantly using phones, taking chances with U-turns, gunning to inch in front, tailgating, bus drivers throw their vehicle around like it's a car, people park on yellow lines further compounding the problem..

They drive like they expect to be able to freeze frame. What are you gonna do-land on a fraction??

There was a crash outside my apartment at the weekend when someone chances a U-turn. Must say though, the tow trucks and insurance guys were out quicksmart, sprayed where the cars ended up, quick sweep. All done in 20-30 minutes.
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's worse, the road rage we see back home with people shooting each other on the freeways, or blind stupidity and running red lights like the story crossmr told. Very Happy
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One MAJOR reason I don't have a car in Korea is my road rage factor. I know one of these days, someone who cuts me off or nearly causes an accident will cause me to go after that person with an uncontrollable rage right out of a horror flick.

I have enough trouble not going after a driver of a car that stops within inches of me near a crosswalk when the stoplight turns red.
Kryten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
(I now know they are black PVC pipe)
I found out they were PVC pipe the hard way. About 4am a friend and I were crossing a deserted street with those barriers in the middle. I took a running jump to boost myself over with my hand but the bar drooped about a foot under from my weight. I nearly fell on my ass so I said to my friend, Don't try that! but he didn't hear me.. did the exact same thing and wiped out.. haha.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that really angers me (and honestly, it seems to be getting WORSE, not better) is that both people walking AND driving cars will play chicken at the corner of intersections. Acting as if they don't see you, while watching out of the corner of their eye, they'll just keep driving/walking at speed as if you're not there, waiting for you to stop first.

There is no "right of way" here. That is determined by a mix of who is driving faster, who looks like they're willing to stop, and who thinks they have the more expensive car (which makes them feel confucistly-empowered to be first).

I really, really piss off some ajosshis driving in their Equus or Chairman cars when I don't let them take advantage of me on the road (in my Matiz). And don't get me started on Taxis.
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one thing that really gets me these days... and, maybe it shouldn't.. I don't know. What bothers me when I'm driving my car is people letting in all the guys who cut in front of them. There isn't much that annoys me more than the guy in front of me letting in 3 cars that just cut their way in, while others behind have been waiting - and will wait longer because of them!
ekul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:
There was a crash outside my apartment at the weekend when someone chances a U-turn. Must say though, the tow trucks and insurance guys were out quicksmart, sprayed where the cars ended up, quick sweep. All done in 20-30 minutes.

I was in a bus going over a mountain into Seongnam and a car pulled out of nowhere and the bus slammed into the side of it. The car ended up on it's side in a ditch, luckily not flooded with water at that time of year. Some old ladies were thrown around on the bus and looked bruised and the guy was still stuck in the car. Nobody other than the driver after a few minutes was helping the guy. I'd been in Korea barely two weeks and really didn't know if I should run out and help the trapped guy. Probably could have but the whole spectator in a crowd syndrome set in. Luckily nobody was majorly hurt, but the car driver was lucky.

As it turns out the road sweepers and pick up truck men were first to the scene. Beating the police, ambulance and fire brigade, then pretty much everyone got off the bus and got on the next one, nobody other than the driver hung around for their version of a serious accident. Not really criticising because I didn't do jack, just observing.
Forward Observer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

co-worker told me about one a few months ago. It was in June I think...

Bus comes over the hill somewhere in central Seoul. A taxi was making an illegal u-turn and gets broadsided by the bus coming over the hill - taxi driver escapes with minor scratches, but the salary man in the back seat was crushed to death. Driver makes no attempt to help his passenger, but strolls over to the sidewalk, cursing while pulling himself out a smoke and squats on the sidewalk smoking. Meanwhile the guy in the back seat is take his last few breaths alone. Then the passenger starts convulsing and dies. My buddy watched the whole thing because traffic was stopped, and he had a ringside view from his car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: