Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ: Motorcycles: Getting them registered and licensed.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IlIlNine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: FAQ: Motorcycles: Getting them registered and licensed. Reply with quote

Well, there doesn't seem to be anything really comprehensive about this, so I'll step up and put something down on here since I just did the whole process.

The process for registration and licensing varies depending on the class of the vehicle. Thus, I'll tackle the question in this manner.

<=50CC

50cc bikes are usually scooters, but also mini-bikes, and other motorcycle-type things fall into this category.

Licensing: (someone give me a definite here!) None?

>50CC <=125CC

Licensing: Regular car license. No motorcycle endorsement required.

>125CC
Licensing: Motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license

~~

To register a bike, you need a number of forms. This process is the same for all kinds of vehicles (including cars). It's FAR easier if both parties are present to register the bike.

If you buy a bike off of a foreigner, he's (she's) going to need to
1) deregister the bike (pay off tickets, etc), give back the plates.
2) sign the transfer papers

You need:
1) Alien Registration Card
2) Passport (maybe - I didn't need mine...)
3) signed and chopped transfer papers (you get these at YOUR DMV - not the seller's)
4) 'in gam jung myung suh' if the other party is not present.
5) the title
6) insurance paper (usually fax)

You then take all this to your DMV and register the bike - filling out another couple forms in the process.

If the selling party is not present when you actually register the bike at your DMV, he will need to provide his dojang (chop) and the form 'in gam jung myung suh' that goes along with it.

To register the bike, you also need to provide insurance, which I was able to arrange here: http://www.motorcyclekorea.co.kr/

Other than that, the staff at the dmv will be happy to guide you through the process. I paid about 75,000 to register the 250cc comet I just bought.

~~

Licensing (motorcycle endorsement):

Licensing is easy! There are two ways. There is plenty of information on how to get a Korean Driver's license - you will need one!

1) Go to your local driver's examination center. I know of one in Ansan, and one near Samsung Station (COEX). Register (ARC, Passport, ~4,000won, Korean driver's license, 2 photos). They don't do the motorcycle test every day - Ansan does it on Fridays at 4, I think, so keep that in mind.

2) Go to a Motorcycle hagwon. 15 hours of practice, 1 hour of class (doing nothing). Test done on the premises with the bike you've been practicing on. cost: ~300,000 I went here: http://www.jdriver.co.kr/

The actual test you do is VERY short, and only tests slow-speed maneuvers. The full layout (and tips and hints) are here:

http://cafe.naver.com/ArticleRead.nhn?clubid=10312966&menuid=50&listtype=M&boardtype=L&page=&articleid=9742

And a video of the test being done is here:

http://blog.naver.com/jackcom5?Redirect=Log&logNo=100016836279
JungMin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 400cc bike.....Didnt have my motorcycle licence yet but managed to register my bike. Had 3 papers from the korean dude i bought it off and my ID card and insurance - thats all they needed to register it and get plates.

Last year i got my korean drivers licence (showed them my canadian one) so when i went to get my motorcycle licence the other day i just had to pay 4,000won and do a REALLY easy driving test and that was it.

A painfully easy process.....
deizio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Registration Reply with quote

Figured I would share my experience after recently buying a bike off a foreigner...

He had the registration document (he bought the bike in a bike shop) which he took to his gu-office and told them he wanted to deregister the bike in preparation to sell it. They took back his plates and his registration document and gave him a new document for the transfer, as well as a note to show the cops if they stopped him for having no plates..

we then met at my dong-office (his gu, my dong... this seems to differ depending where you live). Luckily I was able to bring a Korean fixer who filled out a document with the details of the sale. If you say the price was W499,999 or less you pay less, possibly a lot less, to re-register. The bike went for 800,000 so on our own bill of sale we wrote 475 for the bike and 325 for "services".

Not having chops / dojangs / namestamps was an issue. My fixer finally convinced them to let us write and sign a short statement in English affirming our names and intention to buy / sell the bike.

They took copies of our alien cards and business cards. I signed a couple of forms. My fixer called the insurance company and arranged insurance (140k on my Korean debit card). The office gave me an invoice for 6,000 won which I had to pay at a bank, a licence plate on the spot and my new registration document. I settled with the seller and rode her home...

Had we not had a korean present, and one who works for the city at that, it could have been a lot trickier.
dogshed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what happened.
First, I bought a helmet. Always buy a helmet.
I bought a 100 cc motor scooter.
The guy at the bike shop gave me some papers.
I drove the 100 cc scooter illegally for a couple of days.
Bought insurance.
I drove the scooter illegally to my local office.
They told me to come back at 4 PM.
At 4 PM the guy blabbered on in Korean.
I called the volunteer translation service.
The guy blabbered to translation volunteer
for about three minutes.
Man hung up the phone.
Man blabbered to me in Korean.
I called the volunteer translation service again
and got another volunteer.
Man blabbered to volunteer translation volunteer
for about three minutes.
This time the man gave me the phone before
hanging up so I could get the translation.
"Other man is not in office. Come back
tomorrow at 2 PM."
Continued to drive illegally.
I drove the scooter illegally to the license office.
I got a driver's license.
Picked up tags a day late.
Payed a small fee.
Payed another small fee at the bank.
Drove all over Seoul with tags under my seat.
Drove illegally on 88 with tags under my seat.
A week later put the tags on.
Met some local officials who laughed at me
for getting tags and insurance. They said
nobody follows that law for 100 cc scooters.
L-train

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got arrested and booked for no license with a 50 cc scooter , so you do need a license, as far as registering it, I'm not sure. They just told me I need a license.
Alexander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmarked for future use!

I'll be selling my bike in AUS before I head over Sad

I do, however, plan on buying one there as soon as practicable!

Where (other than pounding the pavement) can I get a rough idea of costs for fairly late model sport bikes?

Anyone have any info on foreigner-friendly bike clubs?

Thanks again!
crazy_arcade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add my experience to this thread.

I bought Samsung insurance through the site that the op mentioned.

Very easy.

Then I went to the local DMV at city hall here. If you're in Seoul then you probably have to go to your GU office. It was very easy. Fill out a couple forms, but 3000 won worth of stamps and buy a plate. In total, I paid 10,000 won to have my bike fully registered at the DMV.
fortyfootsmurf

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 125cc daelim motorcycle without papers/plates from a foreigner who had been riding it illegally for a year. I have the proper license for it, but i wouldn't mind having the proper registration as well. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it registered in my name and getting plates for it? I have no title, no transfer papers, no 'in gam jung myung suh' - just the bike. Is it even possible? I have a korean girlfriend who would be willing to help me go through the process.
TheKudzuConnection

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortyfootsmurf wrote:
I just bought a 125cc daelim motorcycle without papers/plates from a foreigner who had been riding it illegally for a year. I have the proper license for it, but i wouldn't mind having the proper registration as well. Does anyone know how I would go about getting it registered in my name and getting plates for it? I have no title, no transfer papers, no 'in gam jung myung suh' - just the bike. Is it even possible? I have a korean girlfriend who would be willing to help me go through the process.

Hey, I'm in the same situation. I live in Changwon and I just bought an old-looking Daelim 125 without papers or a plate from a friend for W300,000. I'm going to get my license in a couple of days and I wish I could register it too. I know in the U.S. there are titling services and other work-arounds. Is there anything like that here?
fortyfootsmurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it's possible if you contact your bike's manufacturer, but I haven't had any luck yet. I'm still working on it but I'm starting to lose hope. I'll let you know if I figure it out though.
Brooksmatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy told me there was a topic on Dave's regarding registering a bike/scooter without papers. Is it possible to do this? What is the procedure?
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Couple of questions Reply with quote

Before I leave my scooter with a friend to sell later, do I just need to deregister it, give back the plates and give him the forms from my gu? I don't have a chop and I don't understand the 'in gam jung myung suh' either.

Can anyone clarify?

thx,
tdk
shinkirou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm a newcomer to this forum. I'm currently a high school student attending international school in Seoul, and I am looking to get a 50 cc scooter just to get to/from school (the hill is a real killer in the summer. Razz ). I recently got my california driver's license [provisional, since I'm not 18 yet], and while I know that normally a license can be exchanged for a korean one, can a provisional be exchanged for a scooter license? Or would I have to take the korean license test, etc.?

And any advice/suggestions on where to buy a decent 50cc scooter for around 800,000 or less is very welcome!

Thank you!

oh, here's my email: [email protected]
wallaceelf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FAQ: Motorcycles: Getting them registered and licensed. Reply with quote

IlIlNine wrote:
Well, there doesn't seem to be anything really comprehensive about this, so I'll step up and put something down on here since I just did the whole process.

The process for registration and licensing varies depending on the class of the vehicle. Thus, I'll tackle the question in this manner.

<=50CC

50cc bikes are usually scooters, but also mini-bikes, and other motorcycle-type things fall into this category.

Licensing: (someone give me a definite here!) None?

>50CC <=125CC

Licensing: Regular car license. No motorcycle endorsement required.

>125CC
Licensing: Motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license

~~

To register a bike, you need a number of forms. This process is the same for all kinds of vehicles (including cars). It's FAR easier if both parties are present to register the bike.

If you buy a bike off of a foreigner, he's (she's) going to need to
1) deregister the bike (pay off tickets, etc), give back the plates.
2) sign the transfer papers

You need:
1) Alien Registration Card
2) Passport (maybe - I didn't need mine...)
3) signed and chopped transfer papers (you get these at YOUR DMV - not the seller's)
4) 'in gam jung myung suh' if the other party is not present.
5) the title
6) insurance paper (usually fax)

You then take all this to your DMV and register the bike - filling out another couple forms in the process.

If the selling party is not present when you actually register the bike at your DMV, he will need to provide his dojang (chop) and the form 'in gam jung myung suh' that goes along with it.

To register the bike, you also need to provide insurance, which I was able to arrange here: http://www.motorcyclekorea.co.kr/

Other than that, the staff at the dmv will be happy to guide you through the process. I paid about 75,000 to register the 250cc comet I just bought.

~~

Licensing (motorcycle endorsement):

Licensing is easy! There are two ways. There is plenty of information on how to get a Korean Driver's license - you will need one!

1) Go to your local driver's examination center. I know of one in Ansan, and one near Samsung Station (COEX). Register (ARC, Passport, ~4,000won, Korean driver's license, 2 photos). They don't do the motorcycle test every day - Ansan does it on Fridays at 4, I think, so keep that in mind.

2) Go to a Motorcycle hagwon. 15 hours of practice, 1 hour of class (doing nothing). Test done on the premises with the bike you've been practicing on. cost: ~300,000 I went here: http://www.jdriver.co.kr/

The actual test you do is VERY short, and only tests slow-speed maneuvers. The full layout (and tips and hints) are here:

http://cafe.naver.com/ArticleRead.nhn?clubid=10312966&menuid=50&listtype=M&boardtype=L&page=&articleid=9742

And a video of the test being done is here:

http://blog.naver.com/jackcom5?Redirect=Log&logNo=100016836279

Any recommendations/tips for the performance test for 125 => bikes?
I will be taking it this Thursday and I want to make it a one time occasion!!
dedede

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does insurance cost? I'm hoping to leave Korea in about 8 months, if that's relevant.

If insurance costs too much, I'm thinking I might buy a 100cc scooter and not register it. What are the penalties if they bother you about that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: