Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International English School Job Fairs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

I went with Search Associates as they are much cheaper than ISS. Yes, I too cringe at the fact of having to dish out money to get a job. I think I paid $200 US. I got a job within a month or two of joining, so it was worth it.

ISR is a great site and IMO it is worth the $30 a year or so to read about prospective schools. You will see that Seoul International School isn't regarded as being a great place to work due to administration issues. There isn't much on SFS, probably because of the school's Christian nature. There are like 11 or 12 reviews on KIS, which looks at the good and bad sides. Overall for the Korean schools, that site isn't really worth it. However, you shouldn't bank on just getting a job in Korea. Like I said, you might have to do a stint in China or Japan to get some international school experience. In that case, ISR is gold. It gave me a fair look at what I was getting into in regards to my school. I also used it to look at some offers I had outside Asia and I was glad to be able to walk away from those schools.

TIE Online was a good investment too. It is a yearly fee and most international schools post their jobs there as well.

If you think $300 or so is a lot, then forget the job fairs. You are looking at airfare+4 days of hotel and food to go to one of those job fairs. The hotels are around $1000 cdn for those 4 days.
dalem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my situation, I'm already here in korea. I currently have a job at a hagwon, but want to use more of my teaching training (and yes, i am a certified teacher with 4 years experience in Canada). I am here with my boyfriend, who is also teaching english here but has a English degree, not a B. Ed. We both discussed this, and want to stay in Seoul. I would like best to work at an international school, but if i can't then i'll just stay at my hagwon (which actually is a pretty good school).

Someone i met at a meetup told me she got her job at the international school through a job fair in Seoul. Just wondering what this was.

Thinking that the best thing to do is to just apply to the SFS, SIS, YISS and KIS individually. Any other schools i've missed?
dirtmcgirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a job fair here in Seoul, not for the top three schools anyway. If you want to stay in Seoul, I would just send your resume into each of those schools now and do some follow up work on it.

Politics at any school is hard to avoid with 100+ teachers at the top schools. ISR is a good site to check out schools but take it with a grain of salt. Some reviews are accurate some are bitter. SIS is a great school, I can verify that. It just depends on the situation, some teachers at any school can view it as an untolerable situation while others thinks its great. Just depends on your history, experiences, and relationships within the school and department.

Good luck in your search, hope you land a good situation. PM me if you have anything else specific to ask.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to add:

1) SFS and YISS are both Christian. YISS you have to apply through their website and give a bunch of testimonials on your Christian walk. If you aren't Christian, forget it.
2) Songdo International School in Incheon just opened and has some SWEET facilities. They have 99% Korean students atm, but since they only have elementary open they might have more openings. I'd send them an email with your resume/cover letter. Your boyfriend can change jobs. Hawgwons are a dime a dozen. Good IS jobs aren't.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalem wrote:
In my situation, I'm already here in korea. I currently have a job at a hagwon, but want to use more of my teaching training (and yes, i am a certified teacher with 4 years experience in Canada). I am here with my boyfriend, who is also teaching english here but has a English degree, not a B. Ed. We both discussed this, and want to stay in Seoul. I would like best to work at an international school, but if i can't then i'll just stay at my hagwon (which actually is a pretty good school).

Someone i met at a meetup told me she got her job at the international school through a job fair in Seoul. Just wondering what this was.

Thinking that the best thing to do is to just apply to the SFS, SIS, YISS and KIS individually. Any other schools i've missed?

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of international schools in Korea:
Asia Pacific International School
Busan Foreign School
Centennial Christian School
Gyeonggi Suwon International School
Gyeongnam International Foreign School
Hyundai Foreign School
Indianhead International School
International Christian School of Songtan
International Christian School of Uijongbu
International School of Busan
International School Songdo
Global Christian School
Global Prodigy Academy
Korea International School
Korea Kent Foreign School
Kwangju Foreign School
Lighthouse International School
Seoul American High School
Seoul Academy International School
Seoul Christian School
Seoul Foreign School
Seoul International School
St. Paul Preparatory Academy
Taejeon Christian International School
Yongsan International School of Seoul

There may well be several English speaking international schools that I have missed, but I believe that I have covered most of the international schools located in South Korea. I also understand that in the near future, there will be new international schools in Daegu and Jeju.

P.S.: I just added two more schools that I forgot about.

P.S.S.: 1 more school was just added to the list.

Last edited by Konglishman on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
dalem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you very much, Konglishman! Great comprehensive list. I didn't realize there were so many! I guess not all of them are in Seoul, though. Thank you.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalem wrote:
THank you very much, Konglishman! Great comprehensive list. I didn't realize there were so many! I guess not all of them are in Seoul, though. Thank you.

Dalem, you are most welcome.

Anyways, if I were you, I would not restrict your inquiries to schools in Seoul. Of course, I realize that your boyfriend is working for a hagwon, but it should not be too difficult for him to switch jobs. Also, I might add that public school job would probably be a better option for him especially if he is considering the idea of getting certified through an online program such as University of Phoenix. Then, he would likely have more free time to devote to towards getting certified. Finally, during his vacation time, he could possibly do his student teaching at whatever international school you end up working at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: