Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

music question ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven g

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: music question ? Reply with quote

i am tempted to invest in a minidisc player while i'm over here as i hope to download dance music that i miss from back home off the internet. could any of u more technologically minded peoplle let me know if u can download stuff off the web onto minidisc from a pc in a pc-bang, if so how easy it is, cos if its not theres no real point in me investing in one - cheers to anyone who cabn spare the time to help
steve Rolling Eyes Laughing
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a mini-disc for recording two ways.

One, the old fashioned way. Plug it into the audio jack and press record like you would a tape.

Or with the new models, NetMD, they come with a USB adaptor. You would have to visit Sony's site to download the interface program, or install it on the PC via CD, then you just drag the MP3s you want to copy onto the MiniDisc.

The new NetMD discs use a compresion if you want. Without the new compression, you get 72-80 minutes per disc. With the new compression, 5.5 hours. Battery life is substantially longer with the new compression format (as it loads up the song into RAM and then no longer spins the disc until the next song), so you get 40-50 or hours instead of the usual 10-12, assuming you're using good batteries.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find it more economical to get yourself a good cd/mp3 player (99US back in the states, slightly higher here for good ones - 140,000w+). The discs are cheap - you'll pay about a dollar for a rewritable disc, and it will hold 160+ songs (700mb). Once you get sick of those songs, it's easy to erase the disc and record a new one.

The local brand, Iriver, is sold as the Rio Volt in the States (the imp-150 is the one that can be had for 99 dollars at Best Buy). It's good & skip-free. If you get yourself a good pair of NiMH batteries they should last the whole 12 hour flight to Korea on the one set, with power to spare. No repeated songs, either.

Also, the audio quality from a 320kb MP3 is (subjectively) better than what you'll get from the compression on a minidisc, though they're both pretty good to my ears. The downside is the CD/MP3 player is larger than an MD player. Also, some MD units will record, good if you want to go make "Crowds of Seoul" recordings.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some PC bangs have open tower interfaces, and some have the tower sealed off. You'd have to check your local PC bang, but, should you have access to the back of the tower, you should be able to use an MD player at PC bangs.
eamo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the policy in PC bangs about downloading onto their PC's. I've a feeling if you did it on a small scale they probably wouldn't even notice. Net MD works well if you have a PC at home and can build up a nice big library of MP3's. Beware the sony openmg software!!! It sucks satan's big one!!! Worst software I've ever used.
allnitedj72

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say that I love Sony's MD technology. I take my NetMD with me everywhere. No skipping, compact in size, and I can fit about 3-4 CD's worth of songs on one minidisc with the compression software. Sweet stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paulc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that MD's are great. I picked one up in Singapore last year, and have found it really useful. Will be bringing it with me to Korea, along with my laptop and my complete cd collection ripped onto MP3 files stored on the laptop.

I wish I'd waited a little while and got the NetMD, but even though I didn't, I still find the slightly older model to be a great gadget.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend that you DO go ahead and get one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: