Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If i come to Seoul without a job...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theSeeker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: If i come to Seoul without a job... Reply with quote

About coming there first and then looking a job. Seems like a better idea. Then I can see the school, meet the supervisors and teachers, see the housing etc.

i've read soooooooooooo many posts here on eslcafe.com where situations turn out to be horror shows.

But do you think they would reimburse me for my airfare to Korea? And then I would have to do a visa run also. Right? Would they pay for that too, plane ticket and all? Am I asking too much?

I have some fear about hiring with a school for a year without meeting them first. I also worry about agreeing to a living situation, shared or single, without seeing the apartment first. what if it's a dump?

also, do you think I would have more room to negotiate if i was right there, standing in front of them? Negotiate for more money etc. With the job market as it seems to be out there, i figure i could land a job in 2 weeks.

advise???
Please be gentle, but honest.
prosodic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect to be reimbursed for your airfare to Korea. They will probably just pay for you to make a visa run to Japan. Make sure that you bring all necessary documents: original diplomas and transcripts.

I'm sure that you can find a job within two weeks. The big question is whether or not you'll be able to find a job that you would take. If you're picky, who knows how long it could take.

If you have enough savings to last awhile, then go ahead and do it. However, you want to make sure that you don't end up in a situation where you're down to your last few thousand won and become desperate for money.

Timing could be significant. Since most hagwon classes are on a monthly schedule, arriving on the first of the month could be bad because most schools have the current month's classes taken care of. The schools that do need a teacher for the current month would need you to start immediately. In other words, they might ask you to work illegally until they find a convenient time for you to make a visa run. The more reputable places may not consider you for the current month because they can probably find F2 or F4 visa holders who can legally work anywhere. The more legit places would consider you mainly for positions starting at the beginning of the following month.

Arriving in the middle of the month improves your chances of quickly finding a position at a legit school. But if you wait too long to accept an offer, then you get to the first of the month and you're in the situation of the last paragraph.

Don't expect to be in a significantly better negotiating position than if you're in your home country. It all depends on how desperate they are. If the school needs somebody immediately, they might negotiate. If they have some time, they might keep looking.

Good luck!!
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: If i come to Seoul without a job... Reply with quote

If you come to Seoul on your own, it's doubtful they would pay for your plane ticket to get here. They would certainly pay for your visa run ticket. Consider your $700 fare buying your wait to the front of the line. You're here, you're a known quantity, they'd hire you over someone else in the pipe.

And you're not losing 3 or 4 months of income while you apply for jobs and find out they don't want you or they make an offer and then withdraw... I 've had that happen a couple times. They think a teacher is going to leave so they have someone ready in the wings. He doesn't leave or he renews his contract...
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: If i come to Seoul without a job... Reply with quote

I'm also thinking along the lines of the OP. I'm not the "right" age or nationality on paper, but I know that in the flesh I can make a pretty good impression.

mindmetoo wrote:
Consider your $700 fare buying your wait to the front of the line.

Good to see the old mordida system works in Korea, too. Confused
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregard the above comments about not getting reimbursed. You will. Especially, if you are selective in your job search. There are a lot of overblown horror stories here and not getting reimbursed is just another one.

I came over first to look for a job and was reimbursed. And I've recommended the same advice to half a dozen other people thru this board and they were reimbursed.

If you fly all the way over here and sign for a place that won't reimburse you, that's your fault for not knowing any better, not the school's fault.

I know how you feel about the negative hype on working here. Take it all with a heavy grain of salt, as their is a lot of fluff mixed in with the stuff that is good. It took me about 2 months when I first came to Korea, to unlearn a lot of the fluff.

You know yourself better than anyone. You'll do great, if you just trust your gut.
lush72

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: If i come to Seoul without a job... Reply with quote

MixtecaMike wrote:
I'm also thinking along the lines of the OP. I'm not the "right" age or nationality on paper, but I know that in the flesh I can make a pretty good impression.

mindmetoo wrote:
Consider your $700 fare buying your wait to the front of the line.

Good to see the old mordida system works in Korea, too. Confused

Nationality makes a difference for the E-2 visa. I dont know where you are from, but it does matter.
ghostshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the post so far are pretty much on the point. As for as getting your airfair back I would say that there might be a few schools that will do it, but most will just give you the airfare for the visa run trip to Japan. You have to remember that schools would usually like to hire a month in advance so that they can get the visa process done before the teachers come to Korea. So most of the schools that you are going to interview would be those that could not get the right teachers in time. I believe that they will be willing to deal with you about the airfare but not the salary. It's hard to deal on teh salary because if they have other teachers that are there it would not make them happy if you get more then they do. I think it would be best if you had a friend in Korea and ask them about the schools and see if they can go in to look at the rooms. Some big name schools will have pictures of the living areas for the overseas teachers to look at.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find some useful information in the following threads from the FAQs...

Should I Just Come to Korea and Then Find Work?

A lot of people think that this is the way to go if you have the funds to pay for your own airfare and to support yourself for up to 2 months. The disadvantage is that you won't have accommodation and co-workers awaiting you.

1. Landing in Korea Without a Job?
2. Case Study: Help Me Get Over to South Korea in 4 Weeks
3. Cheap Hotels for One Month
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recruiter who brings over teachers every month on tourist visas and gets their airfare reimbursed, I can tell you that it is very common to get reimbursement. And little, if at all, negotiating required to ensure that you get reimbursed. Coming over to Korea on your own dollar does put you at or near the front of the line in most cases. Schools prefer to hire a teacher that they can see face-to-face, as opposed to a picture and a phone call.

Schools and recruiters get floods of resumes and pictures per job, and if you don't look the part in your picture, that may be enough for them to look at the next guy. Being here changes things dramatically.

Applying from overseas, the schools retain the hiring power, as they have XYZ amount of resumes per job. And only a fraction of available jobs in Korea are being advertised. Coming here opens you up to 10 times more jobs that people on the net don't hear or see. And you will be then in a position of power to visit more schools and negotiate better deals.

If you can pay your way over, hang on to your ticket, and have enough living money for a month, you are miles ahead of securing a prime position than anyone on the net.

PM me if you have any questions on how to do this right, instead of relying on the speculative musings that are often prevalent on this board.
ChooChooPongPong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Best Advice.... Reply with quote

Take a completely new approach and get a job at a summer camp. Camps pay an average of 2.0 - 2.5 for three weeks or so of work. They will likely arrange your ticket (get an open year return), and deduct it from the final pay.

Think of a camp as testing the waters and getting your feet with teaching in Korea. Think of it as a networking opportunity and a good chance to rub shoulders with people who have been here awhile. I came to Korea via a camp my second time around, and when I had the time, on the weekends, I bussed it into Seoul and interviewed. But, I met so many people at the camp who knew someone who knew someone that I didnt need to sign a contract and just worked privates and PT for a month and lived in a guesthouse for very cheap. Eventually I found an excellent elementary school position that allowed me to be done in the afternoon and work more in the evenings.

All in all, a camp will put at least a million in your pocket to last you while you look for work, and, if you have the right stuff and a school really wants to hire you, they WILL negotiate and pay the airfare. It is totally worth it to come on your own.

Dont listen to the "horror" stories about camps either. Some do suck, but they are a good way to get over here and learn.
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they won't pay for your airfare here, but offer the visa trip tell them you want your airfare here and that you will pay for the trip to Japan. That way you still get 3 to 400,000 more.
guerillera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do camps still offer roundtrip tix? I am looking to get to Korea this summer and not finding tons of camp postings that offer roundtrip.
houseman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i come to seoul with no job what do i need to acquire one?

obviously degree (notarized) and transcripts.

do i need a criminal record check? do i need anything else?
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: If i come to Seoul without a job... Reply with quote

theSeeker wrote:
About coming there first and then looking a job. Seems like a better idea. Then I can see the school, meet the supervisors and teachers, see the housing etc.

It was a good idea 2 years ago, because you couldn't fail to find work quickly plus you had the advantage of looking at what you're getting yourself into first.

Nowadays though is possible that your tourist visa and money to live on would run out before you even got hired.
djsmnc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, don't you have to obtain an E2 in your home country the first time? I've seen a few people have to go back home because they arrived for the first time without a visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: