Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I may need to leave Korea next month and apply for a new job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: I may need to leave Korea next month and apply for a new job Reply with quote

Where is the best country in Asia to stay while trying to find a new position. Which is the cheapest. Also, I am American, so time on visa is important.
Thank you
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there MASH 4077,

Last year I lived and taught in China and I found it quite a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. Then I went on a holiday to Thailand for about a month and thought that was really cheap... until earlier this year I went to the Philippines (around Cebu, not Manilla) and found that to be the cheapest place for accommodation, transport and food. My return flight from Seoul cost 350,000 won. I found the Philippines to be less developed and far less crowded with tourists than Thailand. Met some awesome people there, travellers and local alike. Will definitely go back one day, can't say that about Thailand.

Visa info for the Philippines: (from Lonely Planet website) http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/south_east_asia/philippines/facts.htm#top

For most foreign visitors visas are not needed for stays of less than 21 days. Three-month visas can be obtained in advance and cost around US$35. Multiple-entry visas (lasting six and 12 months) are also available but are expensive and only allow for stays of 59 days at a time. Visa extensions are possible and generally faster to obtain in regional areas.

Hope this helps! I'm also interested to read what others have to offer... I've only been back in Korea for about 2 months but I've already got itchy feet...
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea is the only nation in the world where I've been able to get by on $600/ month. Grantead, I've never been to to many places, but it's a damned sight cheaper than Canaduh.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what the previous poster said about Korea. You can get by on nothing as long as you have a place to stay. Why don't you ask your employer if you can stay in your apartment for a few weeks after you quit? (Some people may think this is funny, but I was able to do it.) If you will still be in the apartment for the first few days of the month (while still working) then they have to pay rent for you for the whole month anyway. Just be careful because they may not want you to leave!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give an unfounded nod on the Phillipines as well. I've gotten 3 accounts from 3 friends since December about how great the Phillipines are.

Downside: All 3 friends were Asians.

Still, the fascination I'm getting with the Phillipines is growing daily.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bustling city ? Bangkok is cheap and interesting. 30 day visa on arrival. Many other places to go and things to do in Thailand. You can get by on $20 a day in town, $15 on the beaches/smaller towns. (Budget room- $5, Food - $5, Beer $5, Misc -$5)

Phillipines also very cheap. Lots of scam artists (worse than Thai), lodging can be a bit more but the beer and food is cheaper. 21 day visa on arrival. $15-20

Vietnam - Also cheap, internet/telephone services not as good. Saigon and Hanoi easiest, transportation in country is long, slow, and slightly hazardous. Must apply for visa in Korea. $20 plus visa.

Indonesia - Cheap, beautiful, I would only consider Bali at this point in time, and would probably still chicken out. 60 day visa on arrival. $10

China - Bit more expensive, need lots of time to get anywhere decent, internet dubious. Worth it if you have the time and desire (actually I haven't been but plan on going soon) Need visa ahead of time. $25 ? plus visa.

Japan - Expensive - Visa on arrival $100

If you are looking for a job, a place with good (cheap) internet should be important. With that said, there are still many choices, where do you want to go ?

All visa info should be confirmed. Literally tons of cool places in these countries to explore. How much time(money) do you wish to spend ?
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Vietnam has a very high turnover of foreign English teachers so picking up a bit of work should be no trouble there while you are trying to get back here. Also Vietnam is cheap to stay.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: places Reply with quote

Not Taiwan, and certainly not Japan.

Taiwan is cheap to "live" but that is not including accomodation. I found Taiwan cheaper than Korea in terms of food.

In terms of money and visa, I think Phillipenes is the best, but I don't think it's very safe right now...
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah definitely 'Nam for the budget minded. I stayed and lived well for something like $20 a day (hotel, meals, bits and pieces). Could have been done much cheaper though with more local foodstall meals and lower end accom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: