Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American rapes Korean woman in JimJJilbang
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokricky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: American rapes Korean woman in JimJJilbang Reply with quote

I saw this story in Korean but have not been able to find an English version. Apparently a 28 year old American man raped a 27 year old Korean woman in a JimJJil bang in Haeundae on or around the 13th or 14th of January. I just find it hard to believe and I'm suspicious of whether or not this story is real, or if it is just anti-foreigner propaganda.
Has any one else heard anything about this?
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookmin Ilbo, January 13

찜질방서 성폭행 미국인 영장

쿠키 사회] 부산 해운대경찰서(서장 김충규)는 13일 찜질방에서 잠든 여성을 성폭행한 혐의(준강간)로 미국인 A씨(2에 대해 구속영장을 신청했다.

경찰에 따르면 A씨는 12일 오전 3시50분쯤 부산 중동 모 찜질방에서 잠을 자고 있던 이모(27�여)씨를 성폭행한 혐의다.

경찰 조사 결과 임플란트 시술을 위해 부산을 찾은 A씨는 이날 해운대구 모 주점에서 우연히 만난 이씨와 함께 술을 마신뒤 찜질방을 찾아 잠을 자다 주위에 아무도 없는 틈을 타 옆자리에 잠든 이씨에게 이불을 뒤집어 씌우고 범행을 저지른 것으로 드러났다. 부산=국민일보 쿠키뉴스 윤봉학 기자 [email protected]

http://news.kukinews.com/article/view.asp?page=1&gCode=all&arcid=0003140365&code=41121111&cp=nv1

marmots hole says:

"According to this Korean article - �Mr. A.� (at least they had the decency to hide his name), a 28-year-old American who went to Busan to get a dental implant, went out and got drunk at a bar near Haeundae beach. There he met a young lady, Miss Lee (27), who he shared a few drinks with and then convinced to accompany him to a sauna (찜질방) where they would just go to sleep. While they were lying down in an empty or near empty room Miss Lee drifted off to sleep and then, allegedly, Mr. A. looked around to make sure no one was watching and then covered her with a blanket so that no one would see him sexually assaulting her."
http://www.rjkoehler.com/2010/01/13/getting-dirty-in-the-sauna-another-stupid-foreigner-trick/
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its plausible.

If the guy was only in Korea for cheap dental work, then he probably thinks all Asian women are just ripe for the taking.

Movies like Full Metal Jacket didn't portray Asian women in the most positive light. Mr. A probably thought Sucky sucky me love you long time.
mises

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:

If the guy was only in Korea for cheap dental work, then he probably thinks all Asian women are just ripe for the taking.

I don't know.. What? That doesn't follow dude.

He could just have been a perv. Or he could be innocent. How would he know about saunas? He probably lives in the ROK and went to Busan.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he shared a few drinks with and then convinced to accompany him to a sauna

Sounds plausible to me too. Drinks --> sex. It's not an entirely unheard of connection.
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:

Sounds plausible to me too. Drinks --> sex. It's not an entirely unheard of connection.

Yep it sounds like an ajosshi saw some quiet consensual sex happening in the corner and reported it as a crime because it was a foreigner. At which point the agashhi may have agreed in order to protect her reputation.
Reggie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that the saunas were either male only or female only. Are some of them mixed? I feel like I've misunderstood and missed out on something fun and really cool.

I wish they would tell more to the story. Who was the person that was watching and what did the person do and how did the cops get involved?
mateomiguel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip from a pro: blankets do not conceal much, especially not movement.
samcheokguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateomiguel wrote:

a pro what?

rapist?exhibitionist?midnight cowboy?
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mises wrote:
pkang0202 wrote:

I don't know.. What? That doesn't follow dude.

He could just have been a perv. Or he could be innocent. How would he know about saunas? He probably lives in the ROK and went to Busan.

I would've rather preferred you bolded the "if" and "probably" instead of the "then".
rokricky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be insensitive to the victim, but when I first saw this story I just had a feeling that something wasn't quite right.

It infuriates me that a foreigner would be so stupid and behave like that, particularily while travelling abroad. If the story is true, and the suspect is guilty, I hope he receives nothing less than the most severe punishment.
mateomiguel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samcheokguy wrote:
mateomiguel wrote:

a pro what?

rapist?exhibitionist?midnight cowboy?

a pro blanket user!

I used to try to read books with a flashlight when I was a kid under my blanket to avoid my bedtime. It didn't work well. That's all I meant.
Julius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokricky wrote:

It infuriates me that a foreigner would be so stupid and behave like that, particularily while travelling abroad. If the story is true, and the suspect is guilty, I hope he receives nothing less than the most severe punishment.

Me too.. but in Korea you can never rely on the reports to be accurate.
The truth of events is always shrouded in a cloak of confucian smoke and mirrors. After a few years here one automatically learns to question the media and try to decipher the truth of what likely happened.

For all we know a Korean man tried to rape the woman, a foreigner intervened to stop him and was then blamed for the whole incident. In fact this is far more likely.

It reminds me of the national uproar years back when Korean newspapers reported that a US serviceman had sexually assaulted a Korean woman before attacking a Korean man in a subway carriage. The American guy concerned was summarily given a jail sentence.

What K-media never reported was the actual facts of the case: the American guy had simply touched his Korean wife standing beside him. This caused a group of angry korean men to punch and slap the wife for being a traitor to Korea. When the american husband retaliated to protect his wife, he was thrown in prison.

Never, never, never take a report from the Korean media at face value. Especially when it concerns a foreigner.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:

Yep it sounds like an ajosshi saw some quiet consensual sex happening in the corner and reported it as a crime because it was a foreigner. At which point the agashhi may have agreed in order to protect her reputation.

I think something like this is more plausible than it being actual rape as well. I don't even think a third party necessarily would have had to have been involved. This would hardly be the first case of a woman who had second thoughts the next day and decided it was rape.

Of course it could also genuinely have simply been rape. I find it unlikely that she would have agreed to accompany him "to just sleep", but maybe that's really how it went down.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know too many "respectable" korean girls who would agree to go to a Jjimjilbang with a stanger they just met.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: