Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One-way ticket to Korea??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: One-way ticket to Korea?? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a job at the moment, planning to start around early March. I want to arrive in Korea in early Feb to catch up with old friends before starting work... I'm guessing my employer wont want to pay for me to come so early while my visa is ticking over without actually doing any work... so I guess Ill have to fork out for the flight, and then do a visa run to Japan later. So my question is, will they let me into Korea with a one-way ticket on a tourist visa?

Or any other ideas about what I should do?

Cheers
Dixon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get a ticket to Tokyo if you can't fly into Korea on a one way ticket. One way tickets to Tokyo are often cheap, then you could purchase the JR Rail Pass (depending on time) and travel to Fukuoka for the ferry, plus see some cities.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: One-way ticket to Korea?? Reply with quote

sheba wrote:
I'm looking for a job at the moment, planning to start around early March. I want to arrive in Korea in early Feb to catch up with old friends before starting work... I'm guessing my employer wont want to pay for me to come so early while my visa is ticking over without actually doing any work... so I guess Ill have to fork out for the flight, and then do a visa run to Japan later. So my question is, will they let me into Korea with a one-way ticket on a tourist visa?

Or any other ideas about what I should do?

Cheers

If you are talking about a real visa, then there is no problem.

If you are talking about a visa waiver / stamp on arrival, then the airline will probably give you grief (and NOT let you board) if you do not have an exit ticket of some sort (air/ferry/etc). They are the ones who are liable and subject to fines and penalties if there is any problem with your entry.
sheba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just planning to get the stamp on entry so I guess Ill need an onward ticket...

Any cheap ideas?
rocket_scientist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use United, you can get a full refund after purchase.
sunghwan34

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I bought myself a one-way ticket to Korea through Asiana and recieved a tourist stamp (90 days stay).

Hope that helps.
Isiod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that same about 3 months ago and just did a visa run last week. Officially you need money in your account and an onward ticket. What I did was got my parents to put some cash in my account for show, then emailed one of the travel agents (Kangsan) here and got them to book a ferry ticket from Busan to Japan. I then cancelled it when I got to Korea, so didn't have to pay a thing.

Of course they didn't even ask at immigration, but good to be safe.
dantana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about coming here on a tourist visa...and staying 1 year. Do you have to show a return ticket and money in the bank too?
Isiod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone can stay legally on a tourist visa for 1 year. NZ is 3 months and maybe US is a bit more. You will need to do a visa run if you want to work legally as far as I know.
AtmaWeapon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled on this thread, wondering the same as the OP...why would you have to go to Japan first? And if you do find a job using a 90-day tourist visa, I'm assuming any employer can sponsor an E2?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtmaWeapon wrote:
Just stumbled on this thread, wondering the same as the OP...why would you have to go to Japan first? And if you do find a job using a 90-day tourist visa, I'm assuming any employer can sponsor an E2?

FAQs and visa run... two things to look up.

northway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
AtmaWeapon wrote:

I'll be nice and spell it out for him:

1) You technically need an exit ticket in order to get a tourist visa in the first place (this is true in most countries, especially those that you can't take a bus out of). I was able to get in on a tourist visa without an exit ticket, and many others have been able to do the same, but I also had a friend who wasn't allowed on her plane because she didn't have a ticket out of the country (and she was too foolish to just buy the cheapest refundable ticket on offer and is now working retail in Ontario).

2) You can't simply convert a tourist visa to a work visa. You need to do a visa run.

3) A visa run to Japan is no certainty, unless things have changed, as you're technically supposed to get your first E2 in your home country, though there is a workaround.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just book a round trip and toss the return segment. Sometimes it's cheaper.
AtmaWeapon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
AtmaWeapon wrote:

1) You technically need an exit ticket in order to get a tourist visa in the first place (this is true in most countries, especially those that you can't take a bus out of). I was able to get in on a tourist visa without an exit ticket, and many others have been able to do the same, but I also had a friend who wasn't allowed on her plane because she didn't have a ticket out of the country (and she was too foolish to just buy the cheapest refundable ticket on offer and is now working retail in Ontario).

2) You can't simply convert a tourist visa to a work visa. You need to do a visa run.

3) A visa run to Japan is no certainty, unless things have changed, as you're technically supposed to get your first E2 in your home country, though there is a workaround.

Thanks, but I am still unclear as to what a "visa run" actually is. You just leave to Japan and this extends your tourist visa by 30 days? I have read some job postings, at least for public school-related positions, that say they will not hire people with tourist visas. At this point I was considering flying in on a one-way but I'm uncertain if a lot of places won't sponsor my work visa since I'm on a travel visa. Could you tell me more about this workaround?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtmaWeapon wrote:
northway wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
AtmaWeapon wrote:

Thanks, but I am still unclear as to what a "visa run" actually is. You just leave to Japan and this extends your tourist visa by 30 days? I have read some job postings, at least for public school-related positions, that say they will not hire people with tourist visas. At this point I was considering flying in on a one-way but I'm uncertain if a lot of places won't sponsor my work visa since I'm on a travel visa. Could you tell me more about this workaround?

You cannot get a work "visa" while you are actually IN Korea - hence the "visa run".

You get the paperwork done for your visa confirmation number, take a quick trip to Japan, visit the Korean consulate and get an actual visa placed into your passport.

Then you return to Korea and activate the visa on your entry.

As I said earlier READ THE FAQS. 10 years and NOTHING much has changed.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewforum.php?f=7

Getting a Job - Korea Vs Japan, Taiwan and China
Getting a Job - Things You Need to Know
Getting a Job -Hagwons, Unis, EPIK & Public Schools
Alien Registration Card (ARC)
Getting Organised to Come to Korea
Choosing a Location in Korea
Contracts - Health Insurance, Pension, Severance etc.

Visas
STICKY: Visa Runs...Osaka
STICKY: Visa Runs...Fukuoka

1. Visa Run to Beijing
2. Visa Run to Osaka
3. Visa Run to Guam
4. I need to go on a visa run to Japan!
5. Going to Osaka for A Visa Run - What Now?!?
5. Visa Run to Bangkok
6. Safe Visa Runs in Asia?
7. How much does visa in Osaka cost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: