Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which universities are you waiting on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knappylogic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. Thanks for the supporting words.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappylogic wrote:
Final decisions will be made on Friday.

The 'competition' has been in Korea for 5+ years, are in Masters programs, have university experience, and are white men.

To contrast: I have been in Korea less than a year, have a Bachelor's Degree (no certificates), no university experience, and I'm a non-white woman.

EDIT: Naturegirl, your site was really helpful as well. Thank you for your efforts.

Naturegirl made valid points. You may get the job yet.

The 'competition' however sounds solid Sad
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappylogic wrote:
EDIT: Naturegirl, your site was really helpful as well. Thank you for your efforts.

Always glad to help out.
zappadelta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got an email from Chungang University for an interview on Saturday for this position - http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=40269 Anyone else interviewed for this job or have any pertinent info about it? Anyone going there on Saturday with me? haha
hajima 99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zappadelta wrote:
Just got an email from Chungang University for an interview on Saturday for this position - http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=40269 Anyone else interviewed for this job or have any pertinent info about it? Anyone going there on Saturday with me? haha

I'm pretty certain that's the position I received an interview call for a couple weeks back (not the other Chung-ang position which interviewed about fifty applicants). I didn't attend the interview only because I had signed elsewhere, but the package looked really solid. The guy on the phone told me that there was a very short short list at the time. I think he said about eight people.

It looks like most of those individuals must not have interviewed that well. This means that you probably stand a fairly good chance, because it sounds like they're not keen on inviting in hordes of people. This is all purely speculation of course. The salary for that position looked really good (if the housing allowance being offered is on top of the quoted salary, as I believe it is). No mention of overtime opportunities though. That's really the only potential negative that I can draw from the ad...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hajima 99 wrote:
I'm pretty certain that's the position I received an interview call for a couple weeks back (not the other Chung-ang position which interviewed about fifty applicants). I didn't attend the interview only because I had signed elsewhere, but the package looked really solid. The guy on the phone told me that there was a very short short list at the time. I think he said about eight people.

The salary for that position looked really good (if the housing allowance being offered is on top of the quoted salary, as I believe it is). No mention of overtime opportunities though. That's really the only potential negative that I can draw from the ad...

What were they offering?
zappadelta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!

hajima 99 wrote:
zappadelta wrote:

It looks like most of those individuals must not have interviewed that well. This means that you probably stand a fairly good chance, because it sounds like they're not keen on inviting in hordes of people. This is all purely speculation of course. The salary for that position looked really good (if the housing allowance being offered is on top of the quoted salary, as I believe it is). No mention of overtime opportunities though. That's really the only potential negative that I can draw from the ad...
hajima 99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
hajima 99 wrote:

The salary for that position looked really good (if the housing allowance being offered is on top of the quoted salary, as I believe it is). No mention of overtime opportunities though. That's really the only potential negative that I can draw from the ad...

What were they offering?

Well if my calculations are right, it's about 3.489 million won/month (including that 300,000W monthly housing allowance) for 12 hours/week, and full vacations (as pointed out earlier: no mention of overtime opportunities, but that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Unless I'm missing something, that's very impressive. The uni has a decent academic reputation, not great (but that may very well count for "zero" for the majority of us), and the campus is in Seoul (big plus, for me at least). He also said that several teachers had been there many years and were very content, which is always a promising sign. He himself sounded like a really good guy.

In retrospect, makes me wonder whether I should have just attended the interview to see what would have happened?? That would have meant bowing out of a signed contract however if an offer did come through, which may have led to other unknown consequences...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal. Maybe you should have gone to the interview just to see if you got the job? Then if you did, and it usually takes a couple of days for them to get back to you, then you could say that you signed elsewhere, but get their contact info for next year?
ponyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some insights into the position at chung-ang being discussed. the one hajima was invited to has been filled. that job was in the college of education. the position zappadelta is going to is with dept of english language and literature in the college of liberal arts.

some details about the job zappadelta is interviewing for:
teaching: 12 is hours per week for 32 weeks per year
salary: 3,189,000 won per month /+300000 Won per month for housing subsidy
courses: english conversation, english composition
bassexpander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponyo wrote:
i have some insights into the position at chung-ang being discussed. the one hajima was invited to has been filled. that job was in the college of education. the position zappadelta is going to is with dept of english language and literature in the college of liberal arts.

some details about the job zappadelta is interviewing for:
teaching: 12 is hours per week for 32 weeks per year
salary: 3,189,000 won per month /+300000 Won per month for housing subsidy
courses: english conversation, english composition

So there is no pay during vacation time?

That instantly makes it suck if that's true.

Oh, wait... you meant just teaching for 32 weeks per year.
ponyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you would get paid vacations. that 12 X 3.489 mil = 41.868 mil/year.

one thing you might want ask about during the interview is class size. with composition courses, grading can be a bear with large groups...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a good job. How's the university? I've read some posts about Chung Ang, but don't really know what to think.
zappadelta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, sounds pretty good. I might request more than 300,000 won for housing, if I do get an offer.
hajima 99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
It sounds like a good job. How's the university? I've read some posts about Chung Ang, but don't really know what to think.

I was curious as well. Here's the only relevant information that I could dig up (scroll down, past the bickering, to a post by 'Canucksaram'). It was posted just five months ago, when they were apparently hiring 15 new instructors for the beginning of the September '09 semester:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=162309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

He certainly doesn't paint a pretty picture. I myself know absolutely nothing about the university other than what I mentioned earlier (which all sounded positive, but was provided from a slightly biased perspective naturally).

That particular Dave's post was one person's opinion, so take it for what it's worth: Disgruntled former employee with an axe to grind, or a legitimate warning? Nevertheless, perhaps it provides Zappadelta with some things to inquire about ie. why were they hiring 15 new teachers just four months ago? Program expansion or "other"? Hopefully the former.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: