Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JUST TESOL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: JUST TESOL? Reply with quote

Hi.

I'd like to clarify something with anyone that knows.

I know you have to have a degree to teach in Korea. But today I rang the Korean consulate in Canberra (Au) and the (Korean) guy seemed to tell me that yes, it is possible to work there with just a TESOL certificate, depending on whether immigration decides to let you.

Was he wrong?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was wrong.

I suppose he might not be wrong if you greased a few palms. Corruption goes a long way in this country.

Technically he is wrong, you need a 3 or 4 year undergrad degree.
Starperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: grease Reply with quote

Thanks. So how would one 'grease a few palms'?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: grease Reply with quote

Starperson wrote:
Thanks. So how would one 'grease a few palms'?

Never done this and I wouldn't recommend it, but I would guess with money....
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask, you probably aren't ready to do such a thing if the chance arises.
Starperson

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: bribing Reply with quote

yeah you're right, i wouldn't
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. I knew a girl from Australia who came here on a working/student visa. As such, she had only completed her high school education and didn't even have a TESOL. I am not sure of the legality of this situation, but I know it happens. Shocked
Incidently, I don't recommend this option simply because she (the Australian girl) was treated like doggie do-do and finally quit. She was forced to serve lunch to the kindergarten classes, and do extra baby sitting services for free. She was also forced to live in a dirty one room apartment, way across town with no heat and with broken plumbing. Korean employers often use any excuse to exploit an inexperienced foreigner. Sad
Anyway, I hope this helps.
Cheers
RosyYng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about an associates AND a tefl/tesol certificate??

if not, can i continue school to earn a bachelors in korea, and some how still be able to help in the schools? maybe not as teacher but aide, helper, until i get the bachelors?
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if a tree falls, nobody hears, and then someone drives 2 miles in one direction, then turns right, drives for three miles, and then stops.

I hear it works if you have an associates in court reporting and microsoft A+ certification, also.
satiana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it works with an associates degree and TESOL. Do you get a higher pay rate if your degree is in Education? I know that sounds like a stupid question now that I wrote it. Embarassed I have a degree in Entertainment Business Law, I have a film and video associates, and am getting my TESOL are there any places or schools that are entertainment based that I can work at? Can you get a job working for a film company teaching English?

On a side note, would it be better to stay in a city near a base or just jump out there and have fun Laughing? I ask knowing the differing opinions on the subject, as I've read here, but there are extenuating circumstances. I've wanted to live in S. Korea most of my life and have wanted to teach English in any capacity for just about as long. I'm a military brat so I'm used to culture Shocked and it doesn't shock me much anymore.

I want to be the best I can be for my students which is on me but were are the best places to live, being African American and a woman, where I'd at least find every once in a while a person who speaks English enough for me to have a conversation with them? I've heard differing stories and read up on the cities but I'm still a bit lost Confused . I am also slightly long winded as I'm noticing. Any suggestions on everything but the last comment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: