Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does a girl wear??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OiGirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not think that scrubs would be appropriate for teaching in Korea. You will need some clothes for colder weather...maybe hit some garage sales of older ladies from the north?

If you have 2-5 favorite reproducible resource books. I might bring them. You may never use them, but the one time you have an opportunity to,. you will be so glad you have them! I wouldn't buy anything new at this point...English language teaching books are plentiful in Korea.
satiana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to to http://www.yesstyle.com/en/home.html for ideas on dressing in the different Asian countries. Just click on women and choose the country you want you clothes to come from. I personally love the styles they have. You can also see the shoes that they have and see if your shoe size is in there. If not bring your own I would say.

What about clothes to wear in front of your students? I'd rather shop than drink. You get to keep the clothes and this is coming from a self reformed party girl. Laughing
fishstick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the link for Korean designers.

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/list.html/bcc.11143_bpt.46_bt.37_bcs.1_oc.1
marina_ballerina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Converse Reply with quote

One point of advice: Converse are comfortable, and really popular over here. Pack a pair to avoid looking unfashionable and being in pain!
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Converse Reply with quote

marina_ballerina wrote:
One point of advice: Converse are comfortable, and really popular over here. Pack a pair to avoid looking unfashionable and being in pain!

Or buy them here. If you can find an "Orange Factory" ( i live in the burbs ,there are two of them near me) you can buy Converse for as little as 15 bucks.
MollyKay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: What does "low cut" entail? Reply with quote

I'm going to Korea for about a month this summer to teach English, but I'll be working with a church, so I definitely don't want to bring shirts that would be considered immodest. My question is, what is considered low-cut? Should I just make sure not to pack shirts that show cleavage? Shirts that go a few inches below my collarbone? Shirts that don't show my collarbone? Thanks!
OiGirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churches in Korea, in my experience, don't care too much about modest dress. Or at least, not any more than Koreans in general. I was a worship leader at a church where other women on the worship team regularly wore tight jeans or short-shorts and t-shirts screen printed with English 4-letter words. I am a modest dresser and they never quite came out and said, but strongly hinted, that it would hold people's attention better if I dressed a little sexier.

Your church may vary (and I hope it does!) Probably no cleavage at all, but I don't think anyone cares about collarbones.
kjohns15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone comment about tattoos on women in Korea? I have a large one on my calf (it's from a Greek vase painting, nothing vulgar) and I'm interested to know what the general opinion is and if I'll need to keep it covered at all times, especially at work. I'll be working in a hagwon.
Thanks for any advice you can give!
meaghan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissLady717 wrote:
ugh ive been DREADING packing clothes for korea...

is it true that it's really that hard to find bigger sizes? im asian, so i don't think i'll get a lot of weird foreigner looks because of my race (i figure i can lie and say i'm half korean but cant speak it... lol)... but i may get weird looks because of my size...

im 5'4, size 7/8. bra size 36C.

im preparing to bring tons of bras, but is 7/8 that hard to find??? ugh i have to lose some weight... blaaaaaaah. and with bigger chests, is it harder to find shirts that fit too?

You won't find much, if any, Korean clothes to fit you. You might find stuff that you can fit into, but since it's designed to be worn baggy by a thinner, smaller-chested person, it won't look good on you (I speak from painful, disappointing experience). Take a trip to Seoul, go to Myeongdong for the Gap, H&M, Forever 21 and Zara - your selection will be limited but you'll find some stuff. It'll be expensive, but after a few months you'll be glad to pay it.
H&M even carry bras up to C cup I do believe, but the quality is very poor. Bring those with you or order online. Their panties (and thongs!) are decent though, and go up to at least size 12.
Illysook

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
Churches in Korea, in my experience, don't care too much about modest dress. Or at least, not any more than Koreans in general. I was a worship leader at a church where other women on the worship team regularly wore tight jeans or short-shorts and t-shirts screen printed with English 4-letter words. I am a modest dresser and they never quite came out and said, but strongly hinted, that it would hold people's attention better if I dressed a little sexier.

Your church may vary (and I hope it does!) Probably no cleavage at all, but I don't think anyone cares about collarbones.

I'm a bit shocked by this and I think that if someone is wearing a shirt with profanity on it in church, a leader should say something to that person. They definitely should not be leading worship.

Chances are good that the group of people that you are going with will have a dress code. If not, then you should simply avoid extremes. Longer shorts or capris, knee length skirts, short sleeved shirts, and sandals or tennis shoes are appropriate for teachers here in the summer. Linen and cotton are going to be your most comfortable fabrics and you will a loose fit is good for keeping cool. It's extremely hot and humid here in the summer and it's inappropriate to be dressing sexy around children no matter where you live.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a girl wear?? Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
I'm sure this has come up a million times before, but what's acceptable attire for a girl outside of the workplace? Not going out in the evening or anything, but just wandering around and doing the tourist thing, or going shopping, or just going to a bar for a few beers on a Sunday afternoon or whatever.

I'm from England, so you can probably guess that I'm not used to the heat and I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna melt in the heat in SK.

I take it I couldn't wear shorts and a bikini top and a vest then? Wink

Make-up is ok Very Happy Dress a little conservatively unless you want K-guys to treat you like a *beep*. Skirts are ok but not too short. Dressing as such could cause your boss to take advantage of the situation and suggest a sexual union (it has happened to a couple ladies that I know who subsequently quit their jobs). Make sure your shirts have some sleeves to them. I think you get the picture. No fish nets Wink lolz
tamaralynn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: High heels? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if I can get away with wearing flats. I am thinking that as a woman who is already going to seem freakishly tall (I'm 5'8"), the last thing I need to do is wear heels and make myself look even taller!

So, what's worse/more likely to elicit mean comments? Being freakishly tall or wearing flat shoes?

Seems I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't...
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What does a girl wear?? Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
I'm sure this has come up a million times before, but what's acceptable attire for a girl outside of the workplace? Not going out in the evening or anything, but just wandering around and doing the tourist thing, or going shopping, or just going to a bar for a few beers on a Sunday afternoon or whatever.

I'm from England, so you can probably guess that I'm not used to the heat and I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna melt in the heat in SK.

I take it I couldn't wear shorts and a bikini top and a vest then? Wink

If you wear a somewhat short skirt like the younger K-girls, then you may be though promiscuous. That is an unfortunate side effect of Koreans have inaccurate perceptions of foreign women in this respect. Dress conservatively and you will be fine.
kslaterszirom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be leaving for Korea next week. I haven't been there, but I watch a lot of K-dramas and look at the fashion online a lot.

It seems like good things to wear are:
Ankle boots / heels! (which are super cute by the way ^_^ )
Converse
Skinny jeans or leggings and over-sized (long and loose, not short and wide) t-shirt tops
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: