Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songtan - good place to go?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEIP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Songtan - good place to go? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to Korea. I live in Suwon.

I heard Songtan is a fun place to go, and that there's a lot of ethnic restaurants. True?

I heard that the military have an exercise this week - so it's not a good time to go. Does anyone know if OsanAFB has a military exercise this week, and if yes, when is it over?

Thanks ever so much!!
Nierlisse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the military exercise, but I can tell you a bit about the restaurants. We live in Osan (the real Osan) so we go down to Songtan a few times a month to eat, since it's only 2 train stops away. The main area around the gate is about a 5-10 minute walk from the train station. Or you can take a taxi, just tell them "Main Gate" and you'll get there.

The Mexican restaurant La Casa is quite good; I've seen people complain about it on here but the food is pretty standard American style mexican food. It's not 100% authentic but I imagine they serve it that way due to the large amount of Americans that eat there. We like it.

There's a German place called Memories that's a bit off the main strip. It's totally worth it; the food is a bit pricey but it's wonderful. Yum, German beer...

There's also a "pacific northwest-style" restaurant close to the main drag called The Puffin; good fish and chips but they have a lot of other things as well; different kinds of pasta and fish and plenty of other things I can't remember. I liked the interior, very homey and nice. A little too expensive (for what we usually spend on a meal) but it was worth it as part of a nice evening out. Found the only potato skins I've ever liked there.

A new Brazilian place opened up not too long ago, can't remember the name though. 25,000 won gets you all-you-can-eat meat and they have some really really good kinds. They start you off with a steak and take it from there.

I've eaten once at the Japanese place on the strip, can't remember the name. (I think it was just called Izakaya, but I could be wrong) Good sushi, nice people.

There are a few Thai restaurants, I've only eaten at the one in the hotel but it was quite good as well. There are also a few Korean restaurants (galbi, kimbap, etc.) and numerous food stands, along with your typical McDonald's, Popeyes, Baskin Robbins, etc.

Apart from that, Songtan is full of bars and clubs. Never went into the clubs (not my thing, I prefer smokey jukebox bars) but there are a few good bars that we like; the 99 Bar right near the main gate is really good for live music, and we had fun at Christine's as well. If you like clubs, there are plenty to choose from.
TEIP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What fantastic information! Thank you so much for this. I'll print it out and take it along with me. Smile

If anyone else has any recommendations, please chime in.
Thanks!!
hugekebab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Songtan - good place to go? Reply with quote

TEIP wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to Korea. I live in Suwon.

I heard Songtan is a fun place to go, and that there's a lot of ethnic restaurants. True?

I heard that the military have an exercise this week - so it's not a good time to go. Does anyone know if OsanAFB has a military exercise this week, and if yes, when is it over?

Thanks ever so much!!

The best thai place is reasonably priced and is pretty authentic and has big portions; it's called sawadree I think and is across from the big 'sports' massage place in the town centre.
Nierlisse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered a little more:

Some military guys told my husband to try this restaurant (I think it was called Shorty's?? above the Baskin Robbins) for hamburgers; they weren't open when he went there so I don't know how the food is, but it was recommended.

I've also been to the Blue Opera, didn't try any food but they have a large list of different cocktails that we tried. I have friends who got sick after eating there but I haven't heard about it from anyone else so I can't really say yay or nay about it.

Hugekabab mentioned that Thai place; I can't remember the name either, lol, but he's close enough. There's a family that owns that restaurant and the thai place inside the hotel (the one where I ate) and the Mexican place too. I think they've aquired more restaurants lately as well. Anyway they're really nice and since I've been to the Mexican place and the other Thai place, I'm sure Sawtadee (or whatever it is) is just as good. We tried to go there once but it's not that large and every table was full. Which is also a good sign.

Basically if you can't find anything, just stop someone and ask. Most of the Koreans I've come into contact with there have at least a reasonable grasp of English, and there's Americans all over who can help as well. Good luck!! Smile
longsack22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the military and love this board. I have found it a useful source of information over the years so i will give back when I can.

I was stationed at Osan AB 2006/07 and will soon go back in June of 2010, so for now my information "may" be a little off.

1. Miss Kim's Burgar, a very good hamburger, however I never tried while sober, so maybe it is not as good as I remember (on left side).
2. About half way down the main road on the right hand side (Second Story) is a Thai place (I'm going to kill the spelling) Sawahidi. Very good food you can get on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the hottest; I suggest you NOT get the five.
3. Back to the main gate, turn right walk 1 block, turn left and you will run into the Pizza Club on the left. VERY good pizza.
4. Back to main gate, turn left walk about 1 block up on the right side you will find another Thai place. It is owned by the same people who run the first Thai place I talked about but it has a different menu.
5. Back to the main gate, walk one block turn on first left, half way down on the right hand side was 2 Korean girls who sold Greek food or Kebabs... VERY GOOD! It was not street food; however on the weekends at night they would bring the grill out and cook outside. FYI, on the other side is a place called JJ's, go grab a beer while you wait for your kebab.

There are other places as well that I'm sure you can enjoy, however I'm not sure of what you enjoy. Just ask around, most will be willing to help you out, I think.

Outside of the places to eat you can find any type of bar you want in the area. From live music, just seat with friends, DJ music, Dance Bars, Juice Bars w/ Korean or Filipino ladies. I'm sure you can find some Russian girls as well, however again I'm not at Osan right now so I'm not sure. I always enjoyed the "young-chon" on Friday/Saturday nights after about 11:30pm. Also about 1/2 way down on the right side a place called "The Golden Gate" on Friday/Saturday nights (can't remember the time) but the Wax show may be worth it! Up to the railroad tracks and turn left up a hill is a country bar if your into square dancing or two stepping (sorry was not into that) so I don't remember the name or the dance. LOL

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need some other info I still have some friends in Songtan and maybe they can get me the info you need.

Also in Suwon you may want the checkout "Miller Time"... just up from Suwon station... Very nice place..
DomesticPelican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the ex-pat population like here? Obviously there are a lot of military, but is there a fair amount of teachers in the area?
hugekebab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DomesticPelican wrote:
What is the ex-pat population like here? Obviously there are a lot of military, but is there a fair amount of teachers in the area?

Not many teachers there, but some. It's 95% military.
hugekebab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longsack22 wrote:
I'm in the military and love this board. I have found it a useful source of information over the years so i will give back when I can.

I was stationed at Osan AB 2006/07 and will soon go back in June of 2010, so for now my information "may" be a little off.

1. Miss Kim's Burgar, a very good hamburger, however I never tried while sober, so maybe it is not as good as I remember (on left side).
2. About half way down the main road on the right hand side (Second Story) is a Thai place (I'm going to kill the spelling) Sawahidi. Very good food you can get on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the hottest; I suggest you NOT get the five.
3. Back to the main gate, turn right walk 1 block, turn left and you will run into the Pizza Club on the left. VERY good pizza.
4. Back to main gate, turn left walk about 1 block up on the right side you will find another Thai place. It is owned by the same people who run the first Thai place I talked about but it has a different menu.
5. Back to the main gate, walk one block turn on first left, half way down on the right hand side was 2 Korean girls who sold Greek food or Kebabs... VERY GOOD! It was not street food; however on the weekends at night they would bring the grill out and cook outside. FYI, on the other side is a place called JJ's, go grab a beer while you wait for your kebab.

There are other places as well that I'm sure you can enjoy, however I'm not sure of what you enjoy. Just ask around, most will be willing to help you out, I think.

Outside of the places to eat you can find any type of bar you want in the area. From live music, just seat with friends, DJ music, Dance Bars, Juice Bars w/ Korean or Filipino ladies. I'm sure you can find some Russian girls as well, however again I'm not at Osan right now so I'm not sure. I always enjoyed the "young-chon" on Friday/Saturday nights after about 11:30pm. Also about 1/2 way down on the right side a place called "The Golden Gate" on Friday/Saturday nights (can't remember the time) but the Wax show may be worth it! Up to the railroad tracks and turn left up a hill is a country bar if your into square dancing or two stepping (sorry was not into that) so I don't remember the name or the dance. LOL

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need some other info I still have some friends in Songtan and maybe they can get me the info you need.

Also in Suwon you may want the checkout "Miller Time"... just up from Suwon station... Very nice place..

Thanks for the info Longsack.

The pizza place is some good info. is it a takeout or sit down type of place?

Can I ask, does the nightlife tend to get a bit agro at times? I noticed a fair amount of testosterone floating about when I last went. Doesn't matter if there is a bit, just curious.

For anyone interested, there's an English pub I saw on the other side of the road from sawadree (or whatever it's called; it's the Thai for 'hello', but I'm not sure of the romanised spelling!) It's underground.
tall_dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugekebab wrote:
For anyone interested, there's an English pub I saw on the other side of the road from sawadree (or whatever it's called; it's the Thai for 'hello', but I'm not sure of the romanised spelling!) It's underground.

The pizza place is sit down or take-out. The English place is called Bulldogs. There's a Baskin Robins, and a Vietnamese restaurant that has good noodles. There are a lot of others around here as well, including a fast food mexican place that has really tasty food. Songtan has a lot to offer from shopping, eating, making friends, and other activities, some durnig the day and others are purely noctcurnal. There are dance clubs here as well as juicy bars. You can usually get into a poolor dart game at many of the bars as long as it's not on a league night. Wed=Darts/Thurs=Pool. If you want to come out on a Friday night, PM me and I can tell you how to get here and maybe even show you around. I play pool and thats my day to burn off steam.
ZenMoto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some of time in Songtan... I can recommend the Sawaddi Thai place and The German place that's hard to find and off the main strip. The Mexican place on the strip is pretty decent and is probably the best Mexican food in Korea. The 99 Bar is the only bar I ever hung out at. It's always clean and has good live music sometimes.
0ju

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second (third?) Sawaddi Thai, and there's a Mexican restaurant next to it that I've never been to but they do advertise the cooks as all being from Mexico. So maybe it's ok.

There's also a Chinese place and a halfway-decent meat buffet...and lots of bars packed with Americans and "juicy girls."
tall_dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ju wrote:
I second (third?) Sawaddi Thai, and there's a Mexican restaurant next to it that I've never been to but they do advertise the cooks as all being from Mexico. So maybe it's ok.

There's also a Chinese place and a halfway-decent meat buffet...and lots of bars packed with Americans and "juicy girls."

There are a few places that get live bands from time to time. Sawatdee is the name of one of the Thai restaurants here, it's on the 2nd floor. Theres fast food mexican down Aragon alley (ask anyone from here and they'll tell you where that street is) The restaurant is called Casa Burrito.
Easter Clark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Opera is one of my favorite places to go with my wife. The food is pretty good and they have western and Korean food. I usually go for the fajitas. The beer is great too--big mugs for a reasonable price. And the atmosphere is laid-back and cozy as well.
Loza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a nice part of Songtan (or a nearby area) to live? I will move there this August (My partner works on the base). When I visited, I found it be to fairly ugly and couldn't see many trees!

I currently live in Gwangju across the road from a huge park(Very peaceful for Korea). And I'm hoping to find a nice area like this in/near Songtan.

Also if anyone can recommend good schools, to work for in that area I'd really appreciate it. Actually hoping to find a public elementary, so guess I'll need to approach individual schools in the area.

Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: