Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Married and a visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Getting Married and a visa Reply with quote

I was wondering what the story is with Visa's when You Marry a Korean. Can you stay an indefinate amoutn of time here and work for cash? Or is it a little more difficult?

title modified by kangnamdragon June 21, 2004
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little more difficult...

I got an F2-1 visa last November and it is renewable after one year, then when I renew later this year, it will be for two years... then I think it's a lot longer period... maybe one of the long termers can clear this up???

You no longer need to leave the country to get an E2. Because your spouse is your dependent, you don't need permission from your employer to work elsewhere & if you're working less than 20 hours at a place, I don't think you even need a supporting E2, but I beleive you still need to report it to Immigration.

Depending which immigration person, which office, which day, you'll get a different answer about what you can and can't legally do. So I can't verify that previous statement of mine. Confused They are an endless source of frustration in this country!!!

I wanted to set up a small kyoshil at home, but my immigration office wouldn't permit it Confused or even private lessons, even if you declare the income to the tax office.

However, you can't be deported/get an exit order on the f2, but still face fines, as far as I'm aware, for violating your visa, which would be something like doing privates.

I wish I could tell you that you can do whatever the hell you like... but it's not that simple. Certainly a step up from the E2 but not the freedom my husband will receive when he receives his visa to become a resident in Oz.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe.. if only one could get a straight and consistan answer from immigration.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on the subject...we've discussed this many times.

Here's a start...

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=14106&highlight=ryst

Shoosh!

Ryst
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:

Depending which immigration person, which office, which day, you'll get a different answer about what you can and can't legally do. So I can't verify that previous statement of mine. Confused They are an endless source of frustration in this country!!!

I wanted to set up a small kyoshil at home, but my immigration office wouldn't permit it Confused or even private lessons, even if you declare the income to the tax office.

Depending, absolutely...as I did it legally and reported my taxes. Bloody idiots they are in your neck of the woods.

Short solution, just do it.

Shoosh,

Ryst
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryst Helmut wrote:
waterbaby wrote:

Depending, absolutely...as I did it legally and reported my taxes. Bloody idiots they are in your neck of the woods.

Short solution, just do it.

Shoosh,

Ryst

Agreed. Their ignorance and distribution of misinformation should not prevent you from making a decent income. Ryst is proof that it's not illegal. Seoul immigration is, either intentionally or out of ignorance, misleading us in my opinion.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
[Agreed. Their ignorance and distribution of misinformation should not prevent you from making a decent income. Ryst is proof that it's not illegal. Seoul immigration is, either intentionally or out of ignorance, misleading us in my opinion.

But if it is intentional what do you do if you get fined? Take them to court? If you did that, you could face no end of hassles when you went to renew your visa (among other things): The application goes mysteriously missing, your visa takes a longer time to process... Immigration has a lot of power and to mess around with these guys is just inviting trouble. You may have one version of events, but they could have another. Guess with which version the courts are likely to side with?

Mr. Ryst could you please explain with a bit more clarity just exactly what did you do to get this permission? Also what did you do? Set up a small kyoshil or teach privates? I think a bit more information is necessary before people go ahead and possibly fall afoul of Immigration.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:

Mr. Ryst could you please explain with a bit more clarity just exactly what did you do to get this permission? Also what did you do? Set up a small kyoshil or teach privates? I think a bit more information is necessary before people go ahead and possibly fall afoul of Immigration.

Ok, here's the odd bit...never thought about the actual taxing of my earnings, as I don't recall ever getting anything in the mail. I probably did, but my wife handled our finances. I'll ask.

All I did was to go to the immigration office and have the (sorry, don't have passport about to get the exact phrase) 'permission for employment outside of visa blah blah blah.' I paid the 30,000 won, had my passport stamped and signed, as well as the back of my alin reg. card filled out stating that I was working (couldn't read the back of the card...some gobble-di-gook, initials, and numbers showing expiration dates). I was in and out in 15 minutes.

I taught kids in at my house, at their house, in offices, all about. Immigration guy seemed to have no qualms when I informed him of this. As for taxes, well, I can't say that I ever paid them as I never informed any official how much I was making...and never was asked, ever.

UrbanMyth, what makes you think that I would give poor advice? My heart doth ache Sad As mentioned before, opinions on immigration laws differ, so do what you want. You'll always find an officer to side with you....

Shoosh!

Ryst
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will move to the FAQ section. Does anyone have anything to add?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: